Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2011
    Picked up a 2012 1.0 from one of my lbs here in Australia.

Is going to be a commuter for me as I have other trail bikes already. Only done a few laps around the block with it so far but am looking forward to giving it a long run!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2011 GT Karakoram-imageuploadedbytapatalk1332294382.656821.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TimCz View Post
    Picked up a 2012 1.0 from one of my lbs here in Australia.

Is going to be a commuter for me as I have other trail bikes already. Only done a few laps around the block with it so far but am looking forward to giving it a long run!
    Nice! I have one also - mostly used to commute - i have road tyres on it at the moment, as i am doing the ride for MS on Sunday (46km)
    I have done 800km on it since Jan :-)

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I bought a White 2011 3.0 at Performance for $300. Immediately bought some Avid Elixir 3 hydraulic brakes and a Rock Shox Reba Race 100mm air fork, some carbon fiber bars, and new grips. This is an amazing package for less that $1000! Hell of a lot better than buying the 1.0 in my opinion, get a great fork, much better brakes and still hardy components. What an awesome bike!

VChuck
    Nov 2009
    Timcz that 2012 Korakoram 1.0 is a real beauty! I have a 2011 GT Korakoram 3.0 that I destroyed the rear derrailleur and went into the spokes.I am in the process of a full upgrade on forks(2011 Marz 44 tst2 29'r) SLX cranks,F/R derailleur,Thomson elite seatpost,stem,Avid bb7,Mavic 719 wheels with XT m756 hubs,( I am eventually buying Hadley's)
    I am in Specialized ,Cannondale,enemy territory and I have to make a good showing representing GT!Hah!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Hey guys. I just went down to my LBS today and picked up a Karakoram 4.0, I think it was, for about 450. Did I get a bad deal? Is the bike decent for an entry level trail bike?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Hi any of you wants to get rid of their stock wheelset? I have a 2011 3.0 and would like to have an extra se of wheels to commute on slicks but don't want to spend the money in nicer rims.

Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by VChuck View Post
    Timcz that 2012 Korakoram 1.0 is a real beauty! I have a 2011 GT Korakoram 3.0 that I destroyed the rear derrailleur and went into the spokes.I am in the process of a full upgrade on forks(2011 Marz 44 tst2 29'r) SLX cranks,F/R derailleur,Thomson elite seatpost,stem,Avid bb7,Mavic 719 wheels with XT m756 hubs,( I am eventually buying Hadley's)
    I am in Specialized ,Cannondale,enemy territory and I have to make a good showing representing GT!Hah!
    Cheers! Rode it into work this morning for the first time. Was great. Pedals easy, changes well for the spec on it. Rides really well.

I wanted something that was going to be a good commuter, and I'm not the biggest fan of road bikes, plus there are a few sections where I like to cut across the grass, ride off a few gutters and down some small stairs. Can't do that on a road bike!

Sounds like a few nice upgrades on yours. My upgrades will have to wait until I finish building my yeti!

VChuck
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by TimCz View Post
    Cheers! Rode it into work this morning for the first time. Was great. Pedals easy, changes well for the spec on it. Rides really well.

I wanted something that was going to be a good commuter, and I'm not the biggest fan of road bikes, plus there are a few sections where I like to cut across the grass, ride off a few gutters and down some small stairs. Can't do that on a road bike!

Sounds like a few nice upgrades on yours. My upgrades will have to wait until I finish building my yeti!
    Thanks TimCZ,I am of the same exact mindset,I commute 40 miles a day to work and back except I am on a 1997 GT Zaskar ball burnished beauty I just aquired after my 02 GT Timberline was stolen by the bro's.
    I was recently accosted by would be bike jacker's it seems as though I have been targeted for theft,Hah!
    This new tactic involves pulling up ahead of bicyclist and bum rushing you(4 bro's this time)and trying to knock you off of your bike and stealing it,I have heard other stories of forcing you off the road and bust you up and take your bike.
    Luckily for me,I am in extremely good physical condition and grew up in rough asian neighborhoods(Okinawa) besides, I love physical conflicts and served 8 years in the military and love edged weapons
    What has happened to my beloved Ormond Beach,FL.? it was the best place in the USA to live!
    Anyway just a heads up to you people out there to be aware at all times of your surroundings!
    The scumbags are getting more inventive to steal your expensive bicycle!
    Well, Uh I certainly did not mean to kill this thread,posted this while I was drunk.turns out it was a rare incident (attempted bike theft) whew!,
    back on topic my 2011 GT Korakoram project is almost complete,just a derailleur hanger #94 ? ,and she rides again
    Last edited by VChuck; 03-24-2012 at 09:13 AM. Reason: follow up

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    aawyeah.com has (had) the Karakoram 2.0 for 599.00 I added one to my cart and checked with the better half and when I got approval I went back to purchase and realized that I need a large frame not a medium. I tried to change it to a large but the price had gone up 100.00!!!!!!!!!! 9on ALL of the 2.0's

I sent them an e-mail to see if they will fix the problem- whats the best price you have seen on a 2011
    2.0?

L.R.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Performance and REI have them for $850.00

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by keeseckb View Post
    Performance and REI have them for $850.00
    note this is for the 2012, not the 2011

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Nice frame

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Here's my GT, bought the 3.0 for $299 at my LBS. Elixir 3 front and rear hydraulics for $130 online, Rock Shox RL Race 29 here on the forums for $200, and got a Carbon fiber straight bar on the way for $50.Not a bad setup at all for $680!

Holy huge pics...have to reupload after I resize on my computer tonight. **Edited and reuploaded**

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    where did you find that for 300 bucks? thats a heck of a deal-

L.R.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    hi guys, picked up a 2012 karakoram 3.0 and am having bad luck so far. second ride out broke the Chane i figured no biggie it happens, third ride out new chain, the rear casset brakes completely! now i am worried i just wasted 700 bucks on this bike. always been a fan of gt products that's why i went with this model should i have went with a cannondale like i was planning? any input would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    If you spent 700 on a 3.0 you got HOSED! Ya still shouldn't be breaking components though~

L.R.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    bike was 590 before takes came out to about 640 all said and done. i have a bad habit of rounding up lol. so does this sound right? bike is being repaired under warranty but i still am worried that i made a poor decision in mtb.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    any one?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    $590 for the 3.0 is about right. That is some fancy new math you use.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    thanks for the help guys! looks like this forum is not for me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I found a 2011 2.0 for 550.00

You got to look reeeeealy hard!

but it is a 2011-

L.R.
    Last edited by LONRGR; 03-29-2012 at 06:52 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    My 3.0 was 299, and the 2.0 was 550 at performance bike, pay anything more and I'm not sure you're getting a good deal.

mtbr member
    I over paid for my 2012 3.0 too probably, but it was from a bike shop that's local to me. The nearest cites with a bike shop are over 40 miles away. Don't mind paying a little extra for the convenient drive, plus they've gave me some good deals on a few things I've got there from the past. I just hope my experience isn't like boostins, that sucks dude good luck with everything.

Kinda feel jibbed though after seeing that you can get one for $299, is that a 2012? Performance bike is a large retailer isn't?....probably getting some of these with that question lol. I know there's a website, but is it a large franchise with real stores too?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    ok folks, the forum topic is 2011 karakorum. So lets be clear, $300 is a great price on the 2011 3.0, but the 2012 will run about $590. The conversation is getting confusing which model and year you are all talking about

mtbr member
    Need a new thread lol. Sorry about that, wish you could post your own topic as a new member.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast