Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2011 GT Karakoram

117K views 340 replies 96 participants last post by  slowride454 
#1 ·
Does anyone have any real world pictures or a review of one. Couldn't really find anything on the forums about it & I wanted some pics to look at besides whats on GT's website.

I've been looking at other 29ers, but the GT's just keep bringing me back... Must be the memories of my old Performer with mags...:thumbsup:

#92 ·
2011 GT Karakoram 3.0

As Linoleum expressed, the wheelset hinders this bike. Overall, great entry level bike and with some upgrades could be matched with some of the more expensive bikes.

Can't argue with the initial price of the bike too. It was a steal...

Upgraded the brake setup to BB7s and SD7 levers.

#95 ·
I don't know if anyone noticed it... but Karakoram has the SAME geometry of Zaskar 9r :eek:

Even better, the ZeroStack headset means that you could put a tapered Fork on the frame with only a headset change (CaneCreek). And overall it's a more reinforced frame, with just a little weight penalty compared to Zaskar 9r.

Hey! I don't like the new Avalanche's, or any bike that routes cables under the bike (prone to rocks and breakage). I hope that GT do not attempt to update the current Karakoram 9r.

#96 ·
I have a GT Karakorum 3.0 from 2011. I love the black color that's why I got it. Well my question iis what upgrades should I get first. I what an external bearing crank and shift components. I just don't know what sizes to buy. Can you or anybody help ? I also found a set of 29erthe RocRockshox Reba forks.

#102 ·
Picked up a 2012 1.0 from one of my lbs here in Australia.

Is going to be a commuter for me as I have other trail bikes already. Only done a few laps around the block with it so far but am looking forward to giving it a long run!
Nice! I have one also - mostly used to commute - i have road tyres on it at the moment, as i am doing the ride for MS on Sunday (46km)
I have done 800km on it since Jan :)

#103 ·
I bought a White 2011 3.0 at Performance for $300. Immediately bought some Avid Elixir 3 hydraulic brakes and a Rock Shox Reba Race 100mm air fork, some carbon fiber bars, and new grips. This is an amazing package for less that $1000! Hell of a lot better than buying the 1.0 in my opinion, get a great fork, much better brakes and still hardy components. What an awesome bike!

#104 ·
Timcz that 2012 Korakoram 1.0 is a real beauty! I have a 2011 GT Korakoram 3.0 that I destroyed the rear derrailleur and went into the spokes.I am in the process of a full upgrade on forks(2011 Marz 44 tst2 29'r) SLX cranks,F/R derailleur,Thomson elite seatpost,stem,Avid bb7,Mavic 719 wheels with XT m756 hubs,( I am eventually buying Hadley's)
I am in Specialized ,Cannondale,enemy territory and I have to make a good showing representing GT!Hah!:D

#107 ·
Cheers! Rode it into work this morning for the first time. Was great. Pedals easy, changes well for the spec on it. Rides really well.

I wanted something that was going to be a good commuter, and I'm not the biggest fan of road bikes, plus there are a few sections where I like to cut across the grass, ride off a few gutters and down some small stairs. Can't do that on a road bike!

Sounds like a few nice upgrades on yours. My upgrades will have to wait until I finish building my yeti!

#109 ·
aawyeah.com has (had) the Karakoram 2.0 for 599.00 I added one to my cart and checked with the better half and when I got approval I went back to purchase and realized that I need a large frame not a medium. I tried to change it to a large but the price had gone up 100.00!!!!!!!!!! 9on ALL of the 2.0's

I sent them an e-mail to see if they will fix the problem- whats the best price you have seen on a 2011
2.0?

L.R.

#113 ·
Here's my GT, bought the 3.0 for $299 at my LBS. Elixir 3 front and rear hydraulics for $130 online, Rock Shox RL Race 29 here on the forums for $200, and got a Carbon fiber straight bar on the way for $50.Not a bad setup at all for $680!

Holy huge pics...have to reupload after I resize on my computer tonight. **Edited and reuploaded**

#115 ·
hi guys, picked up a 2012 karakoram 3.0 and am having bad luck so far. second ride out broke the Chane i figured no biggie it happens, third ride out new chain, the rear casset brakes completely! now i am worried i just wasted 700 bucks on this bike. always been a fan of gt products that's why i went with this model should i have went with a cannondale like i was planning? any input would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.