Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Nice action shots man and they are a great bike for the price for sure!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    What's up everyone! I just purchased a GT Karakoram 2.0 yesterday from Performance Bike for $499.99. I've been waiting for a month for the price to get low and it finally did!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by NinerNoob View Post
    I'm riding the 2.0 daily to work, clocking up about 100km a week. I stick in the middle front gear all the time.

I've found that when I push major force on the 8-9 gears that there is quite significant chain skip. I've already had it back in the store and they said my rear derailleur hanger was bent and straightened it out. But reading up online, it seems that cable tension is one of the key culprits.

I'm trying to figure out if it's a shoddy part that needs changing, or if it's just a setup tweak i need to have made.

Anyone had similar issues with the 2.0?
    I have a similar issue, when dropping down to the granny gear. the chain always gets caught in the rear derailleur, and pedalling comes ot a complete halt.
    2011 GT Karakorum 2.0 29er

mtbr member
    Has anyone tried putting the Kona P2 29er rigid fork on their Karakoram 3.0? Too steep?

It has a 465 mm axle to crown measurement... wondering if that is a proper replacement for the cheapo 100mm Suntour fork that came OEM on the 3.0.

Smoking deal $29.99 on Bikeman.com right now.........

mtbr member
    Ride report: So, I threw down the 30 bucks for the Kona fork, because I didn't like the Suntour OEM fork. The BEST investment I've made to date. This was my first 29er and I felt it handled a bit slow and this fork has really improved the feel on the trail. The handling feels the same as my 26er, with the only negative is the lower bottom bracket height.... I had a few peddle strikes thru the rock gardens. All in all, I'm happy about dropping 3 or so lbs and the faster handling. I'll post a few pics so you can see what it looks like on the bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2011 GT Karakoram-img_20120205_134134.jpg  

2011 GT Karakoram-img_20120205_134204.jpg  

Last edited by Linoleum; 02-05-2012 at 01:31 PM. Reason: adding pictures

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    It looks great Linoleum. Does anybody know if GT will ever make a karakoram in steel anymore? Or should I just hunt down older frames?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    given how poorly the peace was received, I think a steel Karakoram would need some serious muscle behind it to make it happen.

mtbr member
    like this?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2011 GT Karakoram-100_3100.jpg  

Industry Loudmouth
    Quote Originally Posted by ttthai View Post
    It looks great Linoleum. Does anybody know if GT will ever make a karakoram in steel anymore? Or should I just hunt down older frames?
    Steel Karakorams are long gone...but something new is brewing...

-ska todd

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    That 3.0 looks good!
    John Anthony

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I like your purple one better :-)

So you gusy are brewing bamboo Karakoram? Come on, spill the beans.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by zombinate View Post
    given how poorly the peace was received, I think a steel Karakoram would need some serious muscle behind it to make it happen.
    I absolutely loved my Peace 9r. The steel felt great. New wheels, shorter stem, longer bars and the bike felt perfect to me. The Karkoram looks fantastic, but I would be much more interested in it if there were a steel version. I sold my Peace because I needed the money, and immediately missed it.
    Quote Originally Posted by forkboy
    And don't be scared to walk. Walking is one of the mystical 3 gears of Single Speed.

Sit
    Stand
    Walk.

I'm with stupid
    I have mine set up single speed now. I need a new fork that dart is not any good IMHO put a set of magic 719 with hope hubs on and SRAM stylo cranks and juicy seven brakes with a short stem and 29" bars. Rides pretty well. Only thing still stock is the fork and frame and headset.

I tapped that

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJr View Post
    I absolutely loved my Peace 9r. The steel felt great. New wheels, shorter stem, longer bars and the bike felt perfect to me. The Karkoram looks fantastic, but I would be much more interested in it if there were a steel version. I sold my Peace because I needed the money, and immediately missed it.
    Oh, the Peace were fine bikes, but were always the last out the door at the shop I worked for. Any bike that needs to be marked down once or twice before it will move is not going to be re-ordered by shops, such is the fate of the Peace.

mtbr member
    Hi im looking at a 2011 GT KARAKORAM 2.0 does anyone know what the ROCKSHOX DART 3 is like is it any good thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by schwinnguy74 View Post
    Hi im looking at a 2011 GT KARAKORAM 2.0 does anyone know what the ROCKSHOX DART 3 is like is it any good thanks.
    RockShox Dart 3 2010 Forks Reviews
    John Anthony

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    2011 GT Karakoram 3.0

As Linoleum expressed, the wheelset hinders this bike. Overall, great entry level bike and with some upgrades could be matched with some of the more expensive bikes.

Can't argue with the initial price of the bike too. It was a steal...

Upgraded the brake setup to BB7s and SD7 levers.
    John Anthony

I'm with stupid
    The dart sucks!! I blew it up in less the 10 rides and now I have a 5lb rigid fork.

I tapped that

mtbr member
    Would have made a thread about this, but it's my first post.

What is a fair price on a 2012 karkoram 3.0? My lbs has some for $625, I see the mrsp is only 10 more bucks. Should I try to get a better deal or that a pretty good deal?

mtbr member
    I don't know if anyone noticed it... but Karakoram has the SAME geometry of Zaskar 9r

Even better, the ZeroStack headset means that you could put a tapered Fork on the frame with only a headset change (CaneCreek). And overall it's a more reinforced frame, with just a little weight penalty compared to Zaskar 9r.

Hey! I don't like the new Avalanche's, or any bike that routes cables under the bike (prone to rocks and breakage). I hope that GT do not attempt to update the current Karakoram 9r.
    G11KARX - GT Karakoram X Kai
    2-Cylinder - 1.2 HP (950W) @ 110 RPM

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I have a GT Karakorum 3.0 from 2011. I love the black color that's why I got it. Well my question iis what upgrades should I get first. I what an external bearing crank and shift components. I just don't know what sizes to buy. Can you or anybody help ? I also found a set of 29erthe RocRockshox Reba forks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by boxter713 View Post
    I have a GT Karakorum 3.0 from 2011. I love the black color that's why I got it. Well my question iis what upgrades should I get first. I what an external bearing crank and shift components. I just don't know what sizes to buy. Can you or anybody help ? I also found a set of 29erthe RocRockshox Reba forks.
    honestly the first thing I would upgrade would be the wheels. The rims are single wall, and while the drivetrain is in no way sexy, it is capable in the short term. Better, ride it until things break, then do upgrades to replace them.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    How do you guys feel about the current Karakoram 1.0? I'm looking to get a decent HT 29er and this is one I'm considering.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JonMX5 View Post
    How do you guys feel about the current Karakoram 1.0? I'm looking to get a decent HT 29er and this is one I'm considering.
    Read my review earlier in the thread, I have 2012 1.0, love it.
    "Wait, this thing doesn't have a motor?" - Socrates

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I just ordered the 2012 GT Karakoram 1.0. I pick it up Tuesday. This will be my first bike and according to what I've read, it should be pretty good. I'll post back after I've had some time to ride it.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast