Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I just picked up the 2011 Karakoram 2.0 29er Medium from blueskycycling for $520 plus shipping and tax so right over $600. Seems like a pretty solid deal. I was looking between that one, 2012 Trek Marlin the Airborne Guardian, but I grew up on GT so went with that. It's for my wife as well. Spec wise I think Guardian is better then Gt then Marlin.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I don't know about tax, for me it was 40 bucks to ship, so mine came in at 560.00 total. I am just like you, grew up riding GT (95-96 Avalanche and my wife has a 98 Backwoods. After talking with the LBS that carries GT I knew I would like to have another. I had thought that they were sold off to some cheap-o chinese company and they made junk now, but I was wrong.

L.R.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    My 2012 GT Karakoram 2.0 had a sticker on it "MADE IN CHINA"...

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    haha dont they all say that? LOL I understand "made in china" But American owned & operated.

L.R.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I ordered an 11' Karakoram 3.0 from blueskycycling.com for $319! I plan on upgrading to hydraulic discs and a better fork as soon as i get it. This will be my first 29er, last bike i had was a 95' cannondale m400

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I'm not sure if they all say that or where most bikes are manufactured... just didn't want you get your new bike and see that sticker and think your LBS lied to you. LOL

I love mine and I bet you'll love yours too!

Cheers

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I ordered an 11' Karakoram 3.0 from Blue Sky Cycle for $319! I plan on upgrading to hydraulic discs and a better fork as soon as i get it. This will be my first 29er, last bike i had was a 95' cannondale m400

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Since bluecycling is in Cali, I get hit with tax!!!

edit...I ordered a 2011 Karakoram 2.0 medium 29er for the wife
    Last edited by Mountain916; 04-17-2012 at 05:35 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain916 View Post
    Since bluecycling is in Cali, I get hit with tax!!!
    That sux didn't know that! Came out to $360 shipped, no tax.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    too bad you didn't live "near" a border- have it shipped to a buddy's house or something. lol probably no worth the hassle!

L.R.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    You guys think the 2011 Karakoram is better than the 2012 Marlin? I could have gotten the Marlin for the same price with 3 month tune up warranty.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Does anybody know the diameter of the seatpost used on the 11' Karakoram 3.0? Is it 27.2 or 31.6?

noob, please be gentle
    May 2011
    Has anyone switched out the cassette + chain on their 2011?
    The off-the-shelf Cassette appears to be a Shimano HG30-9 11-34

I've been doing about 50 miles a week for the past year since I got the 2.0 and as I'm a noob who forgets to change down quickly enough I've mashed some of the cogs.

Do I just get the same again or are there equivalent/ superior replacements which I should be looking at?

Tnx

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Here it is...

It came in 2 boxes. Looked like it would be hard to assemble, but once you get started and start knocking out things it's pretty doable. Overall I am happy with the bike for my wife. It's basically your entry level rider and I doubt me and her will do any crazy stuff.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    looks good, mine should show up tomorrow! (along with my Avid BB7's and SL levers)

gonna call BBG today and order up bashwich.

L.R.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    My 3.0 is on the way and will be here Thursday! I'm on the east coast. Good to know it will come in two boxes, i was wondering how they would ship it. I have a better fork and Avid Elixir 3 hydraulic brakes on the way also.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    hello all does this bike have the Gt slimline flat pedals on like the 2012 model? if so has anyone got any photos of the pedals please :-)

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by LONRGR View Post
    haha dont they all say that? LOL I understand "made in china" But American owned & operated.

L.R.
    the answer to that one is yes as most send them there do do the cheap work and we pay good money for ya!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Here it is...

It came in 2 boxes. Looked like it would be hard to assemble, but once you get started and start knocking out things it's pretty doable. Overall I am happy with the bike for my wife. It's basically your entry level rider and I doubt me and her will do any crazy stuff.
    are the pedals gt that come with the bike?

mtbr member
    My 2011 1.0 should be here tomorrow, from Performance Bike. Very excited.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    initial thoughts- glad i didn't pay more than the 560 for the 2.0

the rims are pretty cheesy but I imagine that will be the second upgrade. I all ready have avid bb7's and levers to put on- the stem looks like it is made of cheap pot metal not decent aluminum, and the headset is a bit rough feeling (i am sure it will smooth out as it gets ridden)

I hope the bashwich from BBG will work on this frame (worried about the clearance on the inside ring) I am looking forward to going straight to 1x9.

questions just ask~

L.R.

mtbr member
    Disappointed to hear about the seat post. I'm a clydesdale for sure, I'll have to start looking for a better post. Do you happen to know what size it is?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Ditto above, seat post seems to be cheap metal too.

Rode today on pavement. Bike seems to be a freaking tank. It is a heavy beast. Love the frame, brakes are effing awesome but damn is it heavy! lol

I'm thinking I am gonna swap the stem out and get a new bar. I don't think the stock bar is for me. Though I can't place it- it just feels funny.

L.R.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by seandoc30 View Post
    hello all does this bike have the Gt slimline flat pedals on like the 2012 model? if so has anyone got any photos of the pedals please :-)
    can anyone help me with this please

mtbr member
    Mine just arrived today, assembling it tonight. The stem and bars have to go... the white looks terrible with the green/gold/black scheme. I want some rise anyway.

The front wheel hardly spins at all, little disappointed in that.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Ditto above, seat post seems to be cheap metal too.

Rode today on pavement. Bike seems to be a freaking tank. It is a heavy beast. Love the frame, brakes are effing awesome but damn is it heavy! lol

I'm thinking I am gonna swap the stem out and get a new bar. I don't think the stock bar is for me. Though I can't place it- it just feels funny.

L.R.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skrapmetal View Post
    Mine just arrived today, assembling it tonight. The stem and bars have to go... the white looks terrible with the green/gold/black scheme. I want some rise anyway.

The front wheel hardly spins at all, little disappointed in that.
    I just got the 1.0 and Wow Im glad some else said this about this bike finally some honest reviews. I felt the same way its a tank and i had to losen the bearings a little bit on the wheels due to being to tight it helped a bunch. Look at the neck on the bike and see if the mountain design peaks are up or down they should be up. My bars feel alot better after i turned the neck upside down. and moved the brake lever and shifters. This bike is horrible on the pavement i almost feel like i shouldnt be riding it. also doesnt shift very smoothly either. Im glad i didnt pay the full price on this bike. On the good note the bike is pretty compfy to sit on and the shocks are great.minus the lockout doesnt full lock out I can still compress it pretty damn far when i crank hard and i weigh 180 but i might need more air.
    Last edited by fcamaro24; 04-25-2012 at 05:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Yeah, the stem was upside down and pointing backwards in the box. Your shifting issue is probably just an adjustment problem. Hopefully, anyway.

My airpump nozzle cant fit in the fork, so I can't ride it yet... It has no air at all right now.

Once I get that sorted out and do something with the front wheel (and get some black bars/stem), I've got high hopes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by fcamaro24 View Post
    I just got the 1.0 and Wow Im glad some else said this about this bike finally some honest reviews. I felt the same way its a tank and i had to losen the bearings a little bit on the wheels due to being to tight it helped a bunch. Look at the neck on the bike and see if the mountain design peaks are up or down they should be up. My bars feel alot better after i turned the neck upside down. and moved the brake lever and shifters. This bike is horrible on the pavement i almost feel like i shouldnt be riding it. also doesnt shift very smoothly either. Im glad i didnt pay the full price on this bike. On the good note the bike is pretty compfy to sit on and the shocks are great.minus the lockout doesnt full lock out I can still compress it pretty damn far when i crank hard and i weigh 180 but i might need more air.
    do i really want this bike ? i had mine come on friday but had to send it back as it was too big !!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I cant wait to get it on the trails- I am a technical rider so I like to bunny hop and do drops, etc...... it is a hard learning curve with this thing. I think off road it will be pretty sweet- will test that out this weekend. I have been lookiing into aftermarket rimsets, stem, possible bars (somewhat had the bar issue sorted last night) I think I am going to update the derailer, and shifter and take the new stuff off of this ride and swap it on to my old gt (which has XT components) after closer inspection I think the BBG bashwich will fit with out clearance issues- will keep everyone posted- if you have ideas on a new stem and or a milod riser bar let me know about it! (try to shave some miniscule weight while I am at it)

L.R.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Well at least the frame is good, lol. My 3.0 was delivered early this morning but im at work. I already have a new stem, fork and pedals, still waiting on the disc brakes. The stem is a raceface i ordered from jensen, it was on sale and should
    Be better then the stock one from what i've been reading here. I'll post details later when i try to put it together.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    MoUTro, what stem did you go with? an a fork upgrade allready? lol I thought I was ahead of the game with my BB7's!

L.R.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    1st post...longtime reader...
    been riding casually for years and by no means am i an expert, I'm looking for sizing advice on the 3.0 , I am 5'11 180lbs i'm looking at the L model but just wanted to see what someone of similar size might be riding?

currently riding and old Mongoose Maneuver from 95-96 I have made upgrades over the years and have beat the heck out of it over the last 15 or so years and want give myself a little upgrade with a 29er without breaking the bank...im just a casual rider April-Oct i probably ride 50 miles a month mixed surface trails.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I would find a GT dealer around you and ride both the medium and the large, even just around the parking lot.

I got the large, but only after I had ridden both sizes.

L.R.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    MoUTro, what stem did you go with? an a fork upgrade allready? lol I thought I was ahead of the game with my BB7's!

L.R.
    Haha yeah, i figured i would get a cheaper bike and upgrade it. Plus i liked the look and the matte black paint.The fork is only a Rock Shox XC 32 TK, not a Reba that i wanted but it should be better then the one on there now. The stem is a Race Face Deus 120mm, 6 Deg.

It should be a decent bike to get started on, hopefully.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    by chance did you weigh the stock stem? I am browsing pricepoint looking at stems right now. want to do it as efficiently as possible (w/o wasting my money)

thanks!

L.R.

edit- never mind- your at work and your bike is waiting for you to come home! that sucks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tpee4cornholio View Post
    1st post...longtime reader...
    been riding casually for years and by no means am i an expert, I'm looking for sizing advice on the 3.0 , I am 5'11 180lbs i'm looking at the L model but just wanted to see what someone of similar size might be riding?

currently riding and old Mongoose Maneuver from 95-96 I have made upgrades over the years and have beat the heck out of it over the last 15 or so years and want give myself a little upgrade with a 29er without breaking the bank...im just a casual rider April-Oct i probably ride 50 miles a month mixed surface trails.
    I am 5'11" as well and went with the medium. I'm glad I did... it fits me like a large frame 26".

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    The pedals on my 2.0 2011 are not gt slimlines if I remember correctly.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    What size tires were on your 2.0? Mine are 1.95 and the website said 2.10.

mtbr member
    Performance has a closeout sale on Easton EA90 stems ($29), so I ordered one of those... and I've got a EA70 low rise bar to pair with it and get rid of the silly white stuff on the 2011 1.0.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    the stock stem is just shy of 100mm. on my bike it was upside down from the factory- it was down instead of up which was why the bars felt so funny to me- I think I may pick up that stem from performance, I am on the look out for some new bars now. it does feel loads better now that the stem is right side up (for me anyway).

love this forum and its members!

L.R.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I put my bike together tonight and the disk brakes also arrived today I'm going to take it to my local bike shop tomorrow and have them install the hydraulic brakes and the fork which needs cutting. I'll leave that to the pro. I installed the stem which is a little longer then the stock stem. I also put the rotors on and took the stock brakes off. I'll post pics once everything is installed! Nice looking bike but it's heavy.

Also, the seatpost is a 31.6mm for anyone who was wondering.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    the stock stem is just shy of 100mm. on my bike it was upside down from the factory- it was down instead of up which was why the bars felt so funny to me- I think I may pick up that stem from performance, I am on the look out for some new bars now. it does feel loads better now that the stem is right side up (for me anyway).

love this forum and its members!

L.R.
    I think my wife's is upside down because when you look at it from the side the stem points downward. Also the stem has a diamond black shape on each side of the stem and it's on the lower half of the stem and I would think it would be on the upper part of the stem.

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I think my wife's is upside down because when you look at it from the side the stem points downward. Also the stem has a diamond black shape on each side of the stem and it's on the lower half of the stem and I would think it would be on the upper part of the stem.

Thoughts?
    technicaly there is no up or down to a stem they can be used either way depending on the rider and what fit he or she needs.

L.R.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    The pedals on my 2.0 2011 are not gt slimlines if I remember correctly.
    cheers i dont think mine are they just look like a cheap set but had to send the bike back to to the size!! they have told me it could be june 19th before i get it!! is the bike worth the wait or choose another one??

mtbr member
    There's nothing in particular to gripe about with the bike... it doesn't matter what brand the bike is, if it isn't set up perfectly it wont feel perfect. The aforementioned shifting issues are almost certainly related to setup.

The seatpost isn't the best ever, but it is enough for now. My pedals are slimlines as shown in the catalog pics. The front brake rotor is rubbing a bit, but that can be fixed. The front axle was tightened down way too tightly, but that is easy to loosen.

There really isn't anything wrong with the bars as far as stock bars/stem go, I just find the white to be ugly.

If you like the bike, get it. Just don't expect to throw the front wheel on and have it be flawless... it's gonna take some setup to get it right, just like all other brands do out of the box.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    There's nothing in particular to gripe about with the bike... it doesn't matter what brand the bike is, if it isn't set up perfectly it wont feel perfect. The aforementioned shifting issues are almost certainly related to setup.

The seatpost isn't the best ever, but it is enough for now. My pedals are slimlines as shown in the catalog pics. The front brake rotor is rubbing a bit, but that can be fixed. The front axle was tightened down way too tightly, but that is easy to loosen.

There really isn't anything wrong with the bars as far as stock bars/stem go, I just find the white to be ugly.

If you like the bike, get it. Just don't expect to throw the front wheel on and have it be flawless... it's gonna take some setup to get it right, just like all other brands do out of the box.
    I agree with everything you said i have rode the bike the a few more miles and im starting to like the bike alot more.
    I put 155 lbs of air in the shock which helped big time on the street and the lock out
    loosened the hub bearings
    turned the stem upside down
    and centerend the rims so they stoped rubbing on the brake pads

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Performance has a closeout sale on Easton EA90 stems ($29), so I ordered one of those... and I've got a EA70 low rise bar to pair with it and get rid of the silly white stuff on the 2011 1.0.
    Did you order the 10 degree rise or 0 are those lighter then the stock stem? I'm planing on getting one was kinda interested in the rise stem not sure what it looks like tho

mtbr member
    I ordered the 10 degree rise 100mm length. I wanted a little shorter, but that was the shortest they had left with the rise. I plan to angle it down to get the stem somewhat close to parallel with the ground.

I haven't got a scale to weigh the original, and the new one isn't here yet. Once I get them I'll do a super-scientific left hand/right hand comparison

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I ordered the 10 degree rise 100mm length. I wanted a little shorter, but that was the shortest they had left with the rise. I plan to angle it down to get the stem somewhat close to parallel with the ground.

I haven't got a scale to weigh the original, and the new one isn't here yet. Once I get them I'll do a super-scientific left hand/right hand comparison
    They had the 0 degree in 90 and 100 wouldn't that have done the trick I m gonna order one as well the white is tacky

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    here is anther thing I was just thinking of- the seat is really uncomfortable! (at least for my skinny rear) i am sure it is fairly light weight though~ got my BBG bashwich and will get it put on today. will try to post some pics later~

L.R.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast