Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Just ordered my 2011 GT Karakoram 1.0 paid $950 for it including taxes and shipping from my lbs, if anyone thinks I over paid please let me know, maybe I can get them to come down in price a bit more, but I did check out a few 2012 models that they had sitting in the show room, I am so hype about this bike, can't wait.

mtbr member
    I paid $850 for a 2012 1.0, but my LBS is often waaay cheaper than other places or online (dunno how they do it). I think $950 is a touch high for a 2011, but in your area that might be a very fair price.
    "Wait, this thing doesn't have a motor?" - Socrates

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Oh man!!! I will see if I can get an extra $50 off, that $950 includes them putting it together a year of tune ups and taxes. I hear is a great bike, not the lightest but it's strong and it won't crap out on me. I'm just ready to see it together. i'll post pics once my lbs gets it.

mtbr member
    Anyone know the axle to crown measurement for the '11 Karakorams? (I am assuming that the measurement wouldn't change across 1.0 - 3.0)

Thanks!

noob, please be gentle
    May 2011
    Winter's on the way and I'm getting muddy. Anyone put fenders on a Karakoram? Any guidance as to my options?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    NinerNoob and swingset:

Either of you have any other feedback on your bikes? Mine was ordered today and hopefully I will have it by Thursday. I can't wait to take advantage of the last few days of riding without having to bundle up!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by appstaterider View Post
    NinerNoob and swingset:

Either of you have any other feedback on your bikes? Mine was ordered today and hopefully I will have it by Thursday. I can't wait to take advantage of the last few days of riding without having to bundle up!
    I really like mine, it handles very well feels lighter than it is, has a quick turning response and is solid...glides over most obstacles with ease. I've done about 50 miles of trails so far, and haven't found anywhere the bike suffers except for stuff that's out of my abilities anyway...where a freeride or DH bike might be better.

The components are all excellent, shifting is butter smooth and braking even more so. I did change out my bars and grips, but the saddle is perfect. Stock pedals are platforms, those were quickly ditched for some durable Shimano 520's ($34 from Amazon).

The only thing I have negative to say about the bike whatsoever is the Alex rims aren't the most durable wheels on the planet...but this might really be an issue of being factory built rather than their durability. The first ride really knocked the hell out of them..wobbly mess and I was easy on them. I took the spokes nipples off, put anti-seize on them and greased the shoulders, brought it all up evenly to ride tension, and had my LBS finish the true/dish and so far they've been good...we'll see. But, you know, wheels are a wear item and I expect to replace them anyway.
    "Wait, this thing doesn't have a motor?" - Socrates

noob, please be gentle
    May 2011
    Pedals - I switched out the pedals in the store for some really nasty big platform ones with screws (I think they are mainly used by downhill riders), just because I had a problem with crappy plastic pedals on a previous cheapo bike and didn't want to get stuck. The new ones are probably overkill and I could have kept the stock ones.

Tyres - I put on some Maxxis CrossMark tyres recently which are OK, not amazing. I mainly commute with a Topeak MTX floating rack on the back which affects the handling a fair bit, but when I take the bike out on trails over the weekend without the rack it's a delight, handles really nicely.

This was the first serious bike I purchased, so I mashed the gears like a newbie which made them click a bit - local bike shop sorted that for me - and I don't know anything about bike maintenance (learning as I go) so after a few months riding expect to need to tighten up headset/crank/other screws & bolts. If you're not a newbie, then you're probably giggling to yourself now...

mtbr member
    Mine is at the Phoenix airport waiting to be delivered tomorrow. tick tick tick.

Can someone please measure the axle to crown so I can shop for a new fork?! Also, has anyone went 1X8 (or 1X9) to lose a couple lbs? Tubeless?

I'm excited.

R.

mtbr member
    you guys know if WTB Exiwolf Race 2.3 tires will fit on the Alex TD24 rims and will it have clearance?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I see no one else here has the cheaper Karakoram 3.0?

I got to put a medium frame sized one through its paces on a 100km race and it sold me, got my own large frame one shortly after that.

This is what mine looks like :

Here is some pics of my 3.0 and me :

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    In a different post for the gt karakoran, a gt rep chime in saying the the chainstays allow up to 2.4, I have 2.2s and the only tight spot is in the front fork by the v brakes bosses (karakoram 3.0) if you have a disc only fork they should fit

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rouxenator View Post
    I see no one else here has the cheaper Karakoram 3.0?

I got to put a medium frame sized one through its paces on a 100km race and it sold me, got my own large frame one shortly after that.
    Yeah not too shabby. This year they put doublewall rims on the 3.0 as well, where the 2011 model had singlewall. Definitely an entry level ride, but the paint is sexy as hell for 2012

mtbr member
    the black mamba is now in my garage. let the upgrade planning begin!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Had the 3.0 for a month and a bit now, already clocked up 320km with no bad luck at all. Loving it. I see thay now have an even more entry level 4.0 on their website.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I brought my 2012 Karakoram 1.0 home today! I had time to put about 12 trail miles on it and love it! I climbed hills today I never could on my 26" bike because of the roots. The 29er wheels roll over them like they aren't even there. I now know what "climbs like a mountain goat" really means. It was great in the turns, despite the leaves. I was able to manual surprisingly easy for drops and loved jumping this bike! This is my first experience with hydraulic brakes and they stop so well I almost almost washed out after nearly locking the front tire on the leaves. They took some getting used to after v-brakes. My first adjustment was letting some air out of the rear tire. The shop had about 45lbs in it and the ride was greatly improved after reducing it to about 30lbs. I can't wait to put some more miles on it tomorrow!!

mtbr member
    Axle to crown on my 3.0 is 495 mm. I'm wondering if 465 mm would make it too twitchy? Anyone try to add the rigid Kona P2 29er fork?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

fenders

hey ninernoob i picked up the 2011 2.0 about a week ago, i have a set of topeak defender fenders that work well, there easy to move from bike to bike, picked them up on ebay for about 40 bucks for the set
    quick review, i've beet the daylights out of mine and so far no broken parts, only complaint is noisy brakes, but thats on the list of upgrades

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by appstaterider View Post
    I brought my 2012 Karakoram 1.0 home today! I had time to put about 12 trail miles on it and love it! I climbed hills today I never could on my 26" bike because of the roots. The 29er wheels roll over them like they aren't even there. I now know what "climbs like a mountain goat" really means. It was great in the turns, despite the leaves. I was able to manual surprisingly easy for drops and loved jumping this bike! This is my first experience with hydraulic brakes and they stop so well I almost almost washed out after nearly locking the front tire on the leaves. They took some getting used to after v-brakes. My first adjustment was letting some air out of the rear tire. The shop had about 45lbs in it and the ride was greatly improved after reducing it to about 30lbs. I can't wait to put some more miles on it tomorrow!!
    Tell me more about this bike, im getting one in a couple weeks, and want feedback :-D !!

noob, please be gentle
    May 2011
    Hi Dnebe,

Do you recall if you got the M1/M2 set, the FX/RX set or the M3/M33?

Thanks!

noob, please be gentle
    May 2011
    re: Noisy brakes (Dnebe mentions it) - I've spent a good couple of hours trying to get the front brakes to play nicely. Basically the brake disc is not uniform so it makes a ringing noise every revolution. You don't really hear it when riding, only when taking the bike inside when there's no ambient road noise. I spent housr trying to resolve as I assumed it was hitting the pads for some reason.

Finally had a 3rd LBS look at it last week (whilst changing a puncture) - looks like the disk is too high in one area - not too wide so that it hits the pads, but rather hits the top of the piece that houses the pads. I guess I'll upgrade them at some point.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

fenders

ninernoob

I got the m1/m2

mtbr member
    Maiden voyage tomorrow. I bought this 3.0 at the fire sale at Blueskycycling.com and added BB7 mechanical discs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2011 GT Karakoram-img_20111126_150844.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Linoleum View Post
    Maiden voyage tomorrow. I bought this 3.0 at the fire sale at Blueskycycling.com and added BB7 mechanical discs.
    I have the same setup and I really like it.

mtbr member
    Ride report.....

Immediately rode up some somewhat rocky climbs, really does well... surprisingly the front end is very light when seated and peddling hard... lots of traction. Flowy singletrack this bike really shines, as it was my first time riding a 29er... I felt it was pretty lively and not cumbersome pitching it around the trail.

Then we rode some VERY rocky Arizona singletrack. The low end wheelset on the 3.0 is not confidence inspiring at all. The larger diameter rims lessened the shock to hands and forearms, but the squirmed and wallowed when the going got rough. As I got tired mid-ride the vague handling only got worse, not a great experience.

IMHO, as it sits in stock, the Karakoram 3.0 is an excellent trail runner and you really donīt feel all that weight. When its rough, not so much fun and I wonīt be returning to that trail until I can afford a better wheelset.

Nothing here you didnīt already know given the price point ($375) + ($100 mechanical discs), Iḿ excited to get her out on another ride, albeit a gentler trail.

R.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast