Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2011 GT Karakoram

117K views 340 replies 96 participants last post by  slowride454 
#1 ·
Does anyone have any real world pictures or a review of one. Couldn't really find anything on the forums about it & I wanted some pics to look at besides whats on GT's website.

I've been looking at other 29ers, but the GT's just keep bringing me back... Must be the memories of my old Performer with mags...:thumbsup:

#26 ·
I bought the silver 2011 GT Karakoram 2.0 on Saturday. My first 29er, upgraded from a Trek 820 XL Frame, $320 mountain bike. I had that Trek for at least 4 years and beat on it as hard as you can imagine. I adore the Karakoram, compared to the Trek its like a new Mercedes as opposed to a Chrysler 300. Disc breaks blow the old V brakes away. The bike is surprisingly light. Shifting is seemmless and silent as is the crank when you are coasting. 100 fork travels well for the price of the the, and the lockout is solid; makes it feel like a different bike on flat pavement. I crunch trails daily, and it it quite fast, and if you have any forward or downhill momentum, the bke truly glides. Center of gravity is easy to find, and was thought about in design. I love it. Zero complaints so far. If I have isses ill let you know, I put a good 25 miles a day on it. And if you want pics, I have plenty. Also another small but nice feature, metal pedals. You'd be surprised how many bikes from $700 to $900 use plastic. Hope this helps!

#28 ·
Check out my uploaded pictures, I uploaded 4 pics yesterday after I made this account. I really cannot say enough good things about this bike, In the end, its about whats most comfortable when you YOU ride it, mind you. Do not let anyone try to tell you that you need to drop 2 grand or more for a quality bike. Im sure there are differences in a $2000-$4000 bike, but I gotta tell you....I have DOMINATED everyone I have had friendly 1/2 mile - 1 mile uphill sprints with, including, but not limited to, sponsored pro factory riders riding high-end expensive machines. This one dudes wife was waiting at the finish line, i dusted him by over 8 lengths...he couldnt believe it, crossed the finish line, got off the bike and threw it into the street. 100% true story. If you want specific part pics, private message me what youd like to see. Hope you find what your looking for!

#32 ·
Update on my chain skip issue mentioned above - some decent chain lube from the local bike store seems to have done the trick (yes I am a newbie).

Been commuting 10km every day on a 2.0 (medium frame, I'm 5'9'' / 175 cm) since April - it is a truly awesome bike.

Been doing some weekend dirt trail riding too. Sheer pleasure.

#41 ·
I'm on a new 2012 Karakoram, really loving it so far. It's my first decent mtb and first 29, but I rode quite a few to arrive at my preference for it. For the money, just a great feeling and handling bike. My LBS made me a screaming deal on it, and I like the color better than the 2011's personally.

#49 ·
I take delivery of mine on Thursday! I have only riden a 2.0, but since the frame is the same with upgraded components I had them order a 1.0. Before I decided I rode; Kona Splice, Kona Kahuna, Spec Rockhopper, Trek GF Marlin, and Cannondale Train SL2. The GT just fit me best. It was by far the most comfortable stock saddle of all the bikes I rode. I originally thought about a 29er HT because my budget didn't allow a quality 26" FS. Once I rode a 29er I was hooked! I can't wait to have my very own!! It will be quite the step up from my Walgoose 26" FS.

#44 ·
my lbs can make me a decent deal on a 2012 karakoram 1.0 i'm wondering if to get it or maybe get a 2011 1.0 only thing holding me back is a sweet 2011 canondale SL2 for $950, can anyone help me with the weight and how heavy the karakoram can be? I like it, just trying to make a final decission on one.

#45 ·
The GT is around 30lbs, IIRC. Not light, but it's not the piggiest 29 stock either.

It's a better equipped bike than the SL2, better brakes and drivetrain...arguably a better shock too. The SL2 might have better wheels, dunno about those but I'd choose the GT over it without a second thought especially if at the same price or cheaper.

#46 ·
I'm still new at this whole thread thing and mountain biking, so far I'm leaning towards the GT, I rode it feel good. I'm curious about motobecane, i've heard good things about them, only problem is I can't ride one, my budget is still $1k, would anyone be oppose to the motobecane over the 1.0 karakoram?

#47 ·
Motos are good bikes for the $$, depending on the model and the deal they're offering you might do better with that as a package. For me, the draw of the GT was having a local shop that's a GT dealer and will provide good after-sale support. If you're not opposed to wrenching yourself or have a shop that will treat you favorably, that's certainly a good option. Might also look at the BAMF Kimura and the Airborne Goblin...both in the same range as the GT but better appointed.

#48 ·
I appreciate all the help swingset, I will be going to my lbs tomorrow to check out a 2012 2.0 that they have they offered to me for $825, they also offered me a 2012 1.0 for $925, i'm still waiting to hear about the 2011 1.0 i like the color scheme :-D i think GT might be my new bike

#51 ·
Just ordered my 2011 GT Karakoram 1.0 paid $950 for it including taxes and shipping from my lbs, if anyone thinks I over paid please let me know, maybe I can get them to come down in price a bit more, but I did check out a few 2012 models that they had sitting in the show room, I am so hype about this bike, can't wait.

#53 ·
Oh man!!! I will see if I can get an extra $50 off, that $950 includes them putting it together a year of tune ups and taxes. I hear is a great bike, not the lightest but it's strong and it won't crap out on me. I'm just ready to see it together. i'll post pics once my lbs gets it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.