Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    DIY that way you know your bike all around and can figure out if something is off, go to park tools website and shelden brown's website they have all the info you need, plus I believe the only thing that you need to install is the front wheel, make the handle and for face forward and put in the pedals, this pedals you can put in with an allen wrench from the back part i believe, and adjust your brakes and shifting mechs. also make sure everything is tight

mtbr member
    thanks so much.. gonna order mine fri.... 519.00 great price.....

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    You may want to order before that... the website says the sale is only good until 7/30. Although its 7/31 today, and it's still going, not sure how long it's going to last for.

That's why I ordered as soon as I found it last night!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Merf View Post
    You may want to order before that... the website says the sale is only good until 7/30. Although its 7/31 today, and it's still going, not sure how long it's going to last for.

That's why I ordered as soon as I found it last night!

sale just got moved to aug 6th!!!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    So my new Karakoram 2.0 should be coming in this week/weekend, and I can't freaking wait to get on it and do some riding... so much so that I'm already planning some upgrades!

Thinking about moving to Avid BB7 breaks. Anyone have some suggestions for other worthwhile upgrades that could take this thing from good to great?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Merf View Post
    So my new Karakoram 2.0 should be coming in this week/weekend, and I can't freaking wait to get on it and do some riding... so much so that I'm already planning some upgrades!

Thinking about moving to Avid BB7 breaks. Anyone have some suggestions for other worthwhile upgrades that could take this thing from good to great?
    ill be ordring mine fri and prob be getting it next week!!! id love to hear what you guys think for upgrades!!!! Murf thanks again for getting me that link!!!

TBK
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Hey Everyone, first time posting here. Just picked up a 2011 Karakoram 3.0 for $300 w/ new discs. Everything else is stock and I am looking to drop a bit of weight by adding some aftermarket components. I have some Maxxis Ikons on the way but really don't know what I should do about bars, grips, cranks, stem, post, saddle, etc blah blah. Open to some good suggestions and deals you guys may know of. Have $300 allocated towards this project..please and thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TBK View Post
    Hey Everyone, first time posting here. Just picked up a 2011 Karakoram 3.0 for $300 w/ new discs. Everything else is stock and I am looking to drop a bit of weight by adding some aftermarket components. I have some Maxxis Ikons on the way but really don't know what I should do about bars, grips, cranks, stem, post, saddle, etc blah blah. Open to some good suggestions and deals you guys may know of. Have $300 allocated towards this project..please and thanks!
    What's the point in changing these components if you don't feel why should you do so?

Ride your bike and you'll quickly learn which areas needs improving for your riding style and conditions. Spending money on bike trips is the ultimate way to improve your riding

But still... For me, first thing was the fork, because the stock one performed worse than rigid fork (and I mean that) and weighed a ton. Then I changed the brakes for hydraulics and crankset for external bearings Shimano for weight and stiffness. One of the best upgrades was also short stem (45 mm), which made handling more agile and position better (I'm rather short). Oh, and of course the pedals - they work fine but unfortunately won't survive more than one ride in proper terrain.

Also, they say that in big-wheelers generally, the most significant component are the wheels. 29ers, more than anything else, require light and stiff wheelsets to perform best. For this moment, the stock set form Karakoram works fine for me, but maybe try going in that direction?

Oh, and by the way...
    Unofficial Balfa Cycles website and forum
    Ibis Mojo HD / Giant Trance X / GT Karakoram

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I agree with wooyek ride it and feel it! In my case the fork was the first thing to go, I got a used Reba race and serviced all the seals and o-rings for my self for a total of $150, after that a few things have changed.

I like the 2x9 setup and actually considering 1x9 i just rode one of my local (not the most challenging one) trails and didn't have to get down to the grany gear, i did however use the 36t cassette in the back for one hill. (rear cassette 12-36)

You can see it here in her "urban attire"

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by nono29; 08-14-2012 at 12:13 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I don't know how well the newer paint jobs hold up, but the metallic green 2011 1.0 chips like crazy. Downtube protection is a great investment from the start. The Lizard Skins clear protector has really done a great job on mine covering the dangly bits without adding a lot of weight or changing the look.

On the "bars, grips, cranks, stem, post, saddle", these are comfort and fit items, more importantly than they are weight concerns.

For me, the 2011 1.0 bar was way too wide and saddle didn't fit well for me, and that's something I found out the first long ride. Stem/post/cranks really dial in the fit, so make sure you know the size you're looking for before you start spending too much on them. Stem length and post setback are two you might not want to be changing at the same time.

Also, if you change all of these parts one at a time, you get to appreciate the affect of your spending piece by piece, instead of changing everything at once and not appreciating the value of each component.

Good luck!

TBK
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by nono29 View Post
    I agree with wooyek ride it and feel it! In my case the fork was the first thing to go, I got a used Reba race and serviced all the seals and o-rings for my self for a total of $150, after that a few things have changed.

I like the 2x9 setup and actually considering 1x9 i just rode one of my local (not the most challenging one) trails and didn't have to get down to the grany gear, i did however use the 36t cassette in the back for one hill. (rear cassette 12-36)

You can see it here in her "urban attire"

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2
    Nono, who makes your blue chainring guard? I am doing a black/blue/gold build and looking for a blue ring just like that. Thx.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    BBG Bashguards, super cheap aimple as can be and includes lifetime warranty This site is under construction.

mtbr member

Got her cleaned up from a few weeks worth of dirt

Here is my 11' 3.0. I LOVE this bike. I have been having so much fun on the trails. I am finally starting to become more comfortable with the way the bike handles and feels, which has giving me more confidence in pushing harder on the trails.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2011 GT Karakoram-imag0005.jpg  

2011 GT Karakoram-imag0006.jpg  

2011 GT Karakoram-imag0007.jpg  

mtbr member
    VuDoo11, how do you like those Easton rims/hubs?

mtbr member
    So far so good. I have been running the front EA70xc since May and it has held up really well and is still true. The rear is a EA70xct (UST) which I just got a few days ago. I have only been on two trails and it too has held up so far. I taco'ed the the front stock rim on my first time out on the trail with the bike and was in desperate need for a new rim and the guy at my LBS recommended the EA70xc, so I went with it. After reading a few reviews on the rims I was a bit skeptical on putting the Easton on the rear since I weigh 215 and ride pretty hard and I didn't think that the rear would be strong enough, but so far it has held up and I am pleased with it. The freehub is quiet, something I wasn't expecting. You don't hear that traditional click, click, click when you coast, or at least is is not loud...not that it is that important. All in all I am pretty pleased with them.

mtbr member
    VuDoo11, thanks for the reply. I, too, have read some not so favorable reviews on this wheelset. I am about 218 lbs, but don't ride super aggressive yet, but I plan to get there. I want a rim lighter then my stock set. I plan of having a road set and a trail set after a purchase, but just couldn't get any real use reviews from someone on these Eastons. Thanks for the input........ever had any run-ins with American Classic wheelsets?

mtbr member
    I understand wanting real reviews from everyday people. I don't regret getting these rims. In hindsight i wish i knew about the XCT's in the beginning so i could go UST on the front as well. The only other set with the same price range was the S.R. black flags which people tend to go for more often than the Easton. As far as being lighter i weighed the rear stock rim before I switched and it as at 5.8 lbs. Once i got the Easton put together it was 4.8lbs. And that it is only attributed to the lack of tube. So it isn't much lighter than the stock...which was a little disappointing.

I think that they should work for what you want to do. I wouldn't say that if i didn't have the confidence in these rims. I have never had any experience with the American classic. I hear that they are good rims, just way out of my price range at the moment.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thinking about buying a Karakorum from Blue Cycling- just $319 plus around $40 to ship it to me. It has V brakes, but i will upgrade to disc within time. Only available in size XL though, and i have a feeling it will be too big for me. Maybe if I swapped out the stem to a much shorter one it would be ok? I'm 6-1 with 32in inseam (220lbs).

I forget the top tube length. but I seem to remember that it was quite long (25in+??)

This really seems like the best "bang for the buck" for someone just getting started in the 29er world...am I right?

Thanks for the advice. ☺

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    edit: sorry, posted this in wrong thread...can't see any delete option(?)

#Noobism
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2011 GT Karakoram-untitled-1.jpg  

Last edited by HudsonValleyRog; 09-23-2012 at 04:57 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by HudsonValleyRog View Post
    This really seems like the best "bang for the buck" for someone just getting started in the 29er world...am I right?
    If you can swing it the Karakoram 2.0 is a BIG upgrade for about $200. I'd go for that if you can. I've been riding mine for 3-4 months now, and after a few upgrades really love it.

mtbr member
    I would say don't the XL frame. Performance bike and REI sell GT. If you have one of those near you go by and see if they have an XL frame and see how it feels before you commit. If the frame is to big you will hate life. Keep looking around and see if there are any other deals for a large frame...I know blue sky has the best deal, but you will have piece of mind knowing you have a frame that will fit you better.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Holy scroll-back-and-forth, thread! :O Who's got the XL pic in here?? lol

Thanks for the replies. I agree that the XL frame is probably going to be too large for me. Thought about just using a short (60mm?) stem to try and compensate, though...?

I have my eye on a local old-skewl Zaskar that I've been emailing back and forth about for like a month now. And i do mean OLD skewl: 1991 (1st year). The bike is a 20in, but confirmed the ETT size for me today at 23.25in, the exact same as my last 2 bikes: size L Prophet and size 19 Rockhopper...and they both seemed to fit me well.
    The Zaskar is a "complete" bike and in good condition, it's just absolutely FILTHY...almost as if it was never cleaned/degreased in 20yrs...lol. Ain't skeert', though, as i feel it's still worth $225. That is one frame I have always wanted! And I know I can convert it to disk with the adapter on eBay. NO replaceable der. hanger, though...so that is one concern, I guess.

But I digress...

And i know what you're saying about upgrading to the 2.0 for $200, however I already have a few NIB parts that I can put on the 1.0 right away, such as Avid speed dial levers, BB7 calipers, cables, STX 660(?) shifters, etc. I would get a good set of UST/disc wheels for it almost right away, to. So basically in the long run, I would just be purchasing the Karakorum 1.0 for the frame...yet I would be able to ride it immediately and upgrade it as i went along.
    Friend me on FB!

www.facebook.com/RADeVries

mtbr member
    It isn't so much as the stem length allowing you to sit up more, but for the stand-over height. I am 6'2" with a 34" inseam and with the large frame I have about 1.5"-2" between my "valuable parts" and the frame. If I were to get an XL frame it would make mounting and dismounting a little awkward IMHO.

If you are replacing most of the parts and are essentially just buying the bike for the frame look for a 4.0 The newer models go for about $400. There is not much difference in the newer 4.0 and the older 3.0.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I have Karakorum 2 for 4 months, 500+ miles and I really like the bike, but i busted the chain 2x. Chain is not under warranty because it is wear and tear.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by VuDoo11 View Post
    It isn't so much as the stem length allowing you to sit up more, but for the stand-over height. I am 6'2" with a 34" inseam and with the large frame I have about 1.5"-2" between my "valuable parts" and the frame. If I were to get an XL frame it would make mounting and dismounting a little awkward IMHO.

If you are replacing most of the parts and are essentially just buying the bike for the frame look for a 4.0 The newer models go for about $400. There is not much difference in the newer 4.0 and the older 3.0.

Thanks for the reply.

Just curious though- how does stem length "allow you to sit up more"? Wouldn't that be the stem rise?

I just measured the actual standover height on my new CAAD8 road bike and it's exactly what the stated standover is for the XL Karakorum: 32.77".

I measured at the middle of the top tube. I straddled the bike and was able to lift the front tire 4in off the ground. I ride my 58cm CAAD8 every day, and I really feel that it fits great...

I wonder if anyone can tell me the ETT length of the size XL Karakorum? The horizontal is 25.26", which definitely scares me...although it shouldn't, because I'd bet the ETT is closer to 24in or so...(maybe)?
    Friend me on FB!

www.facebook.com/RADeVries

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast