Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I am have the same karakoram 3 - 1 2011 this is what you need 2 sets of bb7 calipers with 160mm rotors (that's the biggest one your fork can take) also is better if you change your levers to avid 7 those are cheap but they are sold individually, also new cables and cable jackets, if you are good using a dremel and have cutting wheels you can use that if not buy bike specific cable cutters. I got everything at price point . com and was the best price for cables and jackets I got jagwire ripcords

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wooyek View Post
    You need hubs for discs but as far as I can see in the specifications, you have them: "All Terra Alloy Disc". So check if you have 6-bolt holes on the left side of the hubs, and if so, all you need is new brake calipers.
    Mine hasnt arrived yet =-( But thank you for the headsup.

Quote Originally Posted by nono29 View Post
    I am have the same karakoram 3 - 1 2011 this is what you need 2 sets of bb7 calipers with 160mm rotors (that's the biggest one your fork can take) also is better if you change your levers to avid 7 those are cheap but they are sold individually, also new cables and cable jackets, if you are good using a dremel and have cutting wheels you can use that if not buy bike specific cable cutters. I got everything at price point . com and was the best price for cables and jackets I got jagwire ripcords
    Awesome. I actually have a pair of Avid 7s waiting to be returned or used.

Do you feel the difference in braking over the stock brakes to justify the changeover to disc ?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I ride with my 2 year old by my handle bar in a" ibert " chair and they make me feel more confident on the trail

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    I ride with my 2 year old by my handle bar in a" ibert " chair and they make me feel more confident on the trail

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks!

mtbr member
    It seems like this bike has gotten some good reviews. I am thinking of building one up from a frame I found online (2011 or 12 2.0, Black/yellow). Any advice on components? I want to go 1x10, but that is all I know for sure. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    any one knows the length of the stock steerer tube? I know is the same size from small to large but I need this info to pick up a used fork, thanks. (XL head tube is ltaller)

San Miguel Beer Drinker
    Apr 2009
    just finished installing m29 fork on my karakoram.

(yep, steerer needs to be cut.)

cant wait to try it on the trails!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2011 GT Karakoram-photo-0008.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    For those that the information the stock length of the steerer tube is 6-3/4" just consider the height of the new headset if you're upgrading too, I'm installing my new-to-me Reba next week

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    What's the widest tire you can squeeze In the rear?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Installed a maxxis ardent 2.4 mounted on velocity p35's with no rubbing issues, much room to spare.. The frame has a u shape chainstay for tire clearance.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Headset technology has advanced since the last time I built up a bike and it appears that my 2011 2.0 has an FSA zero stack, and possibly, internal headset.

I eyeballed my old CK headset and I dont think the cups will fit within the head tube, in face I'm quite certain they won't without an adapter or an extension to reduce the diameter of the head tube.

Then as I was pulling the old fork out, I dropped the lower bearing cage and sent all the little balls flying down my driveway and into the drain.

Ugh, but a blessing in disguise. I was never fond of caged bearings and had hoped the Karakoram had come stock with a sealed unit. Guess not.

What kind of headset do I need? Diameter/internal/ZS? Also, wondering if it's possible to go to a tapered or 1.5" fork?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    For the tapered fork to work you need a tapered headtube, so the answer to that is no. for the headset you could use the cane creek 40.ZS44 or a little cheaper 10.ZS44 the first number is for the series/level ZS is for "Zero Stack" and 44 is for the inside diameter of the head tube.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Thank you. I've just ordered the 110 series from my LBS with an additional crown race for my other fork.
    Last edited by brianwon; 06-26-2012 at 06:08 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Here's my 2011 Karakoram. It started life as a 2.0, but I've upgraded most of the components with stuff I had left over from my old bike (Norco - stolen) and deals I've come across.

I'll eventually swap out the frame, but before then I'll upgrade the brakes and perhaps the wheels once they can no longer be trued.

My most recent pick-up is the Niner fork, but I'm unhappy with the color mashup. I've got some flat black vinyl wrap lying around and may wrap it. Also note that it's only mocked up right now as I wait for a new headset.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Nice! Rigid! Hardcore

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Thanks, this is my first 29er and I really think I should have purchased a smaller frame. I'm 5'10" with a 30" inseam and I'm used to bikes that I can huck and flick around. This Karakoram in medium doesnt really fit my riding style.

With that said, for all of you ordering your bikes online (bluesky), you should really test fit it before buying. I bought mine after reviewing the specs and I chose incorrectly.

BDB

My 2011 2.0

Here's my 2011 Karakoram 2.0 from Blueskycycling. Ordered it while deployed so I was taking a big chance......but I studied the geometry/dimensions compared to my past bikes and figured it'd be ok.

Well I love it! This thing smooths out the trails/rock gardens nicely. I already upgraded the RD to a Deore Shadow and put my ZuZu pedals and WTB Pure V Race seat on it. It's not in this pic but I swapped out the handlebar to an FSA that I had. In Oct I'm swapping the fork too.

Can't speak for everyone but as a 6'2, 215lb 41 yr old that has been MTBing since 1993 this is the change I've been needing. Just wasn't much fun anymore on that 26in Cdale (w/headshock), my local trails are pretty technical and rocky and I always felt beat up after 4 or more miles. (partly the headshocks fault)

FYI, The bike is an XL and fits me perfect.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2011 GT Karakoram-178940_4224782299498_1702762310_n.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by manmythlegend View Post
    Can anyone tell me exactly what I would need to upgrade a stock 2011 3.0 to bb7 disc brakes?

Very confused if its just the brake set...or are new wheels needed?
    you need:

brake calipers
    adapters
    rotors

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Has any of you tried the ghetto tubeless method with this rims?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Ghetto tubeless? Do you mean Stan's Notubes? If so, the yes. Ive been running the Notubes kit for a while on the Alex td24 rims. However, I haven't tried with the stock Kendas. I'm running Maxxis Ardent and Specy Purgatory (2.4's).

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Does any of you knows what the holes by the en of the chainstays are for? right before where the hanger goes there's is one that goes side to sidebig diameter in the chainstay and another threaded smaller one in the seatstay

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Does any of you knows what the holes by the en of the chainstays are for? right before where the hanger goes there's is one that goes side to sidebig diameter in the chainstay and another threaded smaller one in the seatstay
    Dunno about the chainstay holes, but I used the seat stay threaded to mount a rack.
    They're pretty wide, but around the same height/distance from the top braze-ons for a typical 26er rack. Convenient, since 29er racks are rare and typically expensive.

My pic in post #270 on this thread shows the rack mounted there (I can't link yet. )

-Daver

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Looking into getting a KARAKORAM 3.0 cant wait.

mtbr member
    im also looking to get into a 2011 GT Karakoram 2.0 29er in silver... been having trouble finding it in a large... seems everyone has xl's for sale... anyone know of one new or in mint cond used?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by stecz20 View Post
    im also looking to get into a 2011 GT Karakoram 2.0 29er in silver... been having trouble finding it in a large... seems everyone has xl's for sale... anyone know of one new or in mint cond used?
    Just bought my 2011 Karakoram 2.0 online last night from Bluesky
    BlueSkyCycling.com - GT Karakoram 2.0 Disc 29er Bike
    Its only $560 shipped and tax, so thought it was a pretty solid deal.

Really excited to get this bad boy in a couple of days and hopefully see what it can do this weekend... but since they're on the other side of the country probably not till next week

I've never put a bike together from a box before, as I'm still somewhat of a Mtb noob... I know the components and have the tools I need (minus a pedal wrench), but do you guys suggest DIY or spending the $ to get it done at my LBS?

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast