Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2012
    I bought a 2012 GT Karakoram 2.0 Medium in the beginning of February. I have ridden it nearly everyday. I got it for $850 from a LBS that was ordered for a customer that didn't buy. I prefer the seemingly stiffer triple triangle frame as opposed to the few other 29rs I owned and tested. The LBS swapped the tires out for a set of WTB Pathways in 700x38c for no charge. They didn't have any tires in stock that really suited my riding style and conditions but these got the job done in all but mud. The Pathways even took me across the creek a few times before i ordered a set of Schwalbe Land Cruisers in 28x1.75. I love these tires on this bike. They are not the best on road nor off road but i have the utmost confidence when crossing the varied and often rough terrain of my daily commutes and these tires take the mud 10x better than the Pathways.I also added a Topeak MTX rack and bag the day I bought it and have only ridden it once for about 15 miles off road without this combo attached to my seat post. The bike is definitely fast and controllable and although it does not do any one thing particularly well when it comes to geometry, it does offer a great happy medium, which is what i was needing for my situation.
    I look forward to riding this frame for a long time.
    The only thing that i have had happen is one of the small chain ring bolts worked itself loose and fell out during a ride, i crashed down from 3-9 to 1-9 and it folded the small chain ring over, which the LBS said they would replace for free, i just haven't had the time to get it to the shop so i been using the other 2 chain rings only which is a hassle when i am pulling my wagon with some weight in it up a steep incline.
    I plan to upgrade the crank and bb and also go from the factory 22/32/44 to a 28/38/48 or similar.
    Other than that i am very satisfied for my purposes and conditions.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Picking up the last one from performance bikes has tomorrow morning! Pretty pumped!

mtbr member
    Very cool, Blowen. I'm really glad a lot of us were able to get in on these while the deal was so good.

Took mine out for another short ride tonight. Nothing serious, just some rail trail riding in the dark... but it was fun.
    2011 GT Karakoram 1.0

mtbr member
    Something you guys might wanna check... just noticed the wear on my front rotor was only about half of the braking surface. The bracket spacer that is between the caliper and the fork (which moves the caliper back far enough to fit the 180mm rotor) was put on upside down by the factory. It has an arrow indicator on the inside that says UP, and mine was pointing down.

Flipped it and now the pads are contacting the full surface like they should.
    2011 GT Karakoram 1.0

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Mines the same. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Here is mine. Love it so far!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2011 GT Karakoram-gt02.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I'm really liking mine too but out of the box it really does needs some tuning and i'm a new at this and don't know how to fix it. Mine isn't changing gears right or smoothly. I had asked my LBS when i dropped it off to add the disc brakes and fork to tune it also but they didnt and after having it in the shop for 9 days i just wanted to ride it and and take it back if it needed to be tuned. The spokes also need adjusting because the wheels don't spin straight. I'll be taking mine in again to have it adjusted.

VChuck
    Nov 2009
    Damn ,I payed full price for my 11 Korakoram 3.0 $550.and have not rode it for 5 months since I destroyed the derailleur/hanger/spokes/axle.
    I miss riding her
    I am doing a complete component overhaul on this bike,only need rear wheel,(mavic 719) headset,and bb7's I will post some pics once I get her back together
    some really nice korakorams you dudes.good to see GT on their game again!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    this is how mine sits now i used to have a 1.0 a few weeks ago but it had some problems and i returned it for the 3.0 which came out of the box a whole better and smoother then the 1.0 but i much prefer the 3.0 specially with the upgraded parts i just got and the discount performance bikes gave me, got the 3.0 for 320

just bought all new this past week/weekend
    stem easton ea90 -29
    handle bars: ea70 low rise -39
    fork: rock shox recon gold in white -265
    crank: slx m660 170 mm crankset -120
    brakes: magura loise bat complete kit -170

so right now im sitting over 144 of what i orginally paid for the 1.0 of 799 but i have much better parts and comfort will post a pic when its all installed
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2011 GT Karakoram-imag1273.jpg  

Last edited by fcamaro24; 05-15-2012 at 03:36 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

... and if we just ...

Just picked it up tonight and after a 7 mile test-drive can't say that I have any major complaints. Bone stock except for the front disc rotor (one from factory was bad) and the drink cage. Loving it so far, pretty nice upgrade from my 1992 rigid Hard Rock Many of you have complained about the seat, but I think I'll keep it for now, I must have a skinny ass or something
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2011 GT Karakoram-1stdaygtkarakoram1.029er.jpg  

VChuck
    Nov 2009
    Very nice! I am crapping my pants,**** bought the wrong size Thomson seatpost(30.9?) about a few months back and have to get another one.because of stupid mistake

fcamaro24 "How do you like your SLX 660 cranks?" the 170mm seem to get better clearance?I bought 2 sets of them in 175mm awhile back.from blueskycycling
    .just curious

San Miguel Beer Drinker
    Apr 2009
    my karakoram.
    got it as a frame only then put in a couple of parts i had

bb is quite low with the rigid fork. saving up for a reba or a suntour epicon or whatever cheap & decent comes up in my local bike forums.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2011 GT Karakoram-photo-0001.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by IstongKowldPaRin View Post
    my karakoram.
    got it as a frame only then put in a couple of parts i had

bb is quite low with the rigid fork. saving up for a reba or a suntour epicon or whatever cheap & decent comes up in my local bike forums.

Looks cool! What year is that?

I decided to sell mine because I scored a Niner frame, anyone interested in a lightly used 2012 karakoram let me know
    "Never mistake motion for action."

"If I can bicycle, I bicycle."

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

My 1.0

Finally got some pics. Added Easton 50 stem and bars, Crankbro candy pedals, went to a 1*9 set up with BBG bash and NGear jump stop, and am LOVING IT! In the pics I had a Raceface bash but accidentally bought the 40t. It's now a 32t BBG.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2011 GT Karakoram-img_1772.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ChapmanMTB27 View Post
    Looks cool! What year is that?

I decided to sell mine because I scored a Niner frame, anyone interested in a lightly used 2012 karakoram let me know

I sent you a PM- would be a good ride for my wife, but where did you come up with a 700.00 asking price? I got mine for 560 brand new with shipping- I offered you 90 bucks less than that. You didn't say anything about massive upgrades to the bike, or anything- just that you were gonna take the drive train off to use on something else. If it has no drive train my offer goes down even further!

let me know- would like to surprise my wife with it!

L.R.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by edrix View Post
    Finally got some pics. Added Easton 50 stem and bars, Crankbro candy pedals, went to a 1*9 set up with BBG bash and NGear jump stop, and am LOVING IT! In the pics I had a Raceface bash but accidentally bought the 40t. It's now a 32t BBG.
    Edrix, your bike is looking great!
    Did you feel the stock handlebars were a little wide? This is my first 29er, so maybe it's something I just need to get used to.
    Also, have you had any paint chip yet? Mine seems to chip very easily, but I already found some "Testers" brand paint in an almost exact color match.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Could you give us exact paint code you are using for the green?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain916 View Post
    Could you give us exact paint code you are using for the green?
    "Testors 1124 Green Vert" It's not perfect, but it's good enough that you really have to look hard to see the blemish.
    I apply it with a toothpick. I'll post some pics next time I have the bike and my good camera in the same spot.

mtbr member
    May 2012

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by bobRtp View Post
    "Testors 1124 Green Vert" It's not perfect, but it's good enough that you really have to look hard to see the blemish.
    I apply it with a toothpick. I'll post some pics next time I have the bike and my good camera in the same spot.
    Good call on that. My LHS had only one bottle of one green even close, and that was the one. $2 later, you're right. It's a good match, but not perfect. Especially where the white primer was left behind, but maybe another coat will do better.

I have an old can of Tamiya PS-17 Metallic Green here that I think might be a slightly better match, so I'll probably try that next time.

I got one nice ding right on one of the letters. Now it just looks like the decal chipped, not the paint. Can't win them all.

-Daver

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Here's mine, and the stuff removed from it so far...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2011 GT Karakoram-img_0813.jpg  

2011 GT Karakoram-img_0822.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LONRGR View Post
    I sent you a PM- would be a good ride for my wife, but where did you come up with a 700.00 asking price? I got mine for 560 brand new with shipping- I offered you 90 bucks less than that. You didn't say anything about massive upgrades to the bike, or anything- just that you were gonna take the drive train off to use on something else. If it has no drive train my offer goes down even further!

let me know- would like to surprise my wife with it!

L.R.
    I didnt see your PM so I sent you one.
    "Never mistake motion for action."

"If I can bicycle, I bicycle."

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Pulled the trigger today. Funny coincidence - someone on the big box store bikes forum pointed out the 3.0 as an alternative to a Wally World bike last week because Blue Sky had it for $320. I glanced at it and forgot about it until I bought a copy of MBA with a review of the 1.0. MBA loved it so I've been debating for two days, then ordered the 2.0 an hour ago.

This is my reentry ride - tried the sport about 10 years ago, never had a chance to ride dirt much. Now I have a new wife that isn't such a stick in the mud and might get to go find some trails!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Can't let this thread die, too much fun with this bike. A few hundred miles later...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2011 GT Karakoram-img_4698-large-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Can anyone tell me exactly what I would need to upgrade a stock 2011 3.0 to bb7 disc brakes?

Very confused if its just the brake set...or are new wheels needed?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by manmythlegend View Post
    Can anyone tell me exactly what I would need to upgrade a stock 2011 3.0 to bb7 disc brakes?

Very confused if its just the brake set...or are new wheels needed?
    You need hubs for discs but as far as I can see in the specifications, you have them: "All Terra Alloy Disc". So check if you have 6-bolt holes on the left side of the hubs, and if so, all you need is new brake calipers.
    Unofficial Balfa Cycles website and forum
    Ibis Mojo HD / Giant Trance X / GT Karakoram

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast