Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    just picked up my 2011 Karakoram 1.0 from Performance Bikes....a couple issues though, if anyone can help.

- is the front brake cable supposed to be secured to the fork or something? mine doesnt have any cable stay or bracket on it.

had to adjust my front brake caliper a bit as it was having rubbing.

Im having problem with gear changes, either the front gear is very hard to shift or wont shift at all, and the rear gears the smaller 2 keep jumping back and forth with eachother sometimes

also how much travel do you guys have on your shock when its locked out?
    Last edited by jeri534; 05-02-2012 at 09:23 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Got a 2011 gt karakoram 3.0 medium, real bang for the buck.
    Changed everything, what left is the frame and seatpost
    -upgraded groupset to 2012 deore, brakes, crank, rd, fd, cogs.
    -changed to alex sx44 rims laced with dt swiss spokes on chosen hubs (nice sound)
    -changed the saddle to selle royale wave for comfort
    -changed the stem to easton 75mm
    -used on one mary bar, nice and comfortable for urban and light trails
    -installed halo twin rail 29 tires for urban attack and light trails, rolls smoothly
    -changed headset to wtb race sealed bearing

Will post pics soon.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by barnbig View Post
    Got a 2011 gt karakoram 3.0 medium, real bang for the buck.
    Changed everything, what left is the frame and seatpost
    -upgraded groupset to 2012 deore, brakes, crank, rd, fd, cogs.
    -changed to alex sx44 rims laced with dt swiss spokes on chosen hubs (nice sound)
    -changed the saddle to selle royale wave for comfort
    -changed the stem to easton 75mm
    -used on one mary bar, nice and comfortable for urban and light trails
    -installed halo twin rail 29 tires for urban attack and light trails, rolls smoothly
    -changed headset to wtb race sealed bearing

Will post pics soon.
    pics or it hasnt happened!

L.R.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    here are the pics guys

currently pictured here with 1x10 drivetrain, non series brakes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeri534 View Post
    just picked up my 2011 Karakoram 1.0 from Performance Bikes....a couple issues though, if anyone can help.

- is the front brake cable supposed to be secured to the fork or something? mine doesnt have any cable stay or bracket on it.

had to adjust my front brake caliper a bit as it was having rubbing.

Im having problem with gear changes, either the front gear is very hard to shift or wont shift at all, and the rear gears the smaller 2 keep jumping back and forth with eachother sometimes

also how much travel do you guys have on your shock when its locked out?
    My rockshox manual baggy had a zip tie in it, I used that to zip tie the brake cable to the shock... there are four little bumps on the fork that the cable sits nicely in when you zip tie around that.

Your deraileurs need adjusted. You can find tutorials online, or have a bike shop do it.

And my shock doesn't have much travel when locked out unless I hit a really nasty bump, which is the way it is supposed to work, but make sure you have put air in the shock... mine had none in it when it arrived.
    2011 GT Karakoram 1.0

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by LONRGR View Post
    70.00 credit? easy~ Pedals (10-15.00), and upgrade the shifter and rear derailer, or brake levers, or brakes, or???????

buy 2 spare tubes, and a mini pump, different bar grips, ditch the outer and inner and go 1x9 (buy bash guards)

try out some different tires, get a lighter stem and bars?

I like spending other peoples money!

L.R.
    Haha that's a lot of stuff, Im a beginner I have no idea where I would begin if I tried to install that stuff lol ... The spare tubes is a nice start tho, gotta learn to change a flat, good thinking! In regards to the 1x9, can you tell me your experience with that? Like I said I'm a beginner, not sure if that makes a difference, but what are the advantages of one gear vs 3?

mtbr member
    My stem showed up today, so I finally got around to bolting on all of the new goodies I've picked up for my 2011 1.0:

Thomson Elite seatpost
    WTB Comfort V Sport saddle
    Easton EA90 100mm 10deg stem
    Easton EA70 low rise Monkeybars
    WTB dual compound grips

...and a little Rockshox carbon fiber stem spacer to get rid of the bigger original one with the All Terra logo on it. It's a hair lighter, but it was really all about looks.

Really glad I went with the 10 degree stem rather than the straight one. The angle is perfect for what I wanted, just about parallel to the ground.

Also the original GT slimline pedals are growing on me. Not as much bite as I would like, but they are starting to spin a lot better now that they are breaking in.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2011 GT Karakoram-6a1b2962.jpg  

2011 GT Karakoram-e451ac86.jpg  

2011 GT Karakoram-9dfaf1dc.jpg  

2011 GT Karakoram 1.0

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks to this forum I jumped on a 3.0 29er from Performance. Wanted to have a bike back east for when I visit and really couldn't resist the price and the awesome breakdown here on this thread. Last time I rode a GT it was an 88 GT Pro Performer!

Thanks for the heads up and all the info. Gonna ride this thing stock until something breaks. Pretty pumped to have a GT again.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Same here, I was thinking real hard about the 2011 1.0 @ $799, then when it dropped to $699 last week I just couldn't resist Went to a local performance shop last Wednesday and ordered one on their "Red Phone" which gets the bulk shipping charge waived. Now just waiting for the call/email that it's ready.

FYI - I just noticed on the performance website that all sizes of the 2011 1.0 are now SOLD OUT.

bob

Oh, and this is my first post, awesome message board!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Picked up my 1.0 a month ago, then got $100 back when the price dropped! Loving it. Changing out a few things, will post pics soon. Absolutely LOVE the 29er!

mtbr member
    Got mine today. Took me an hour to put together. I was effing with the rear derailleur and the rear qr skewer. It just didnt drop out of the slots. I had to take the skewer out put the rear wheel in and put skewer back in. Anyways gng to ride soon. I also swapped out the stem bc its too long for me so I put on a 60mm truvativ hussefelt stem from my specialized.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G

mtbr member
    Airic, did you cut your stem down? My stem wont go in that far... hits the top water bottle bolt (even when the bolt isn't in the hole) and stops.

It is the height I need, but I wouldn't mind being able to lower it some if I wanted.

Also my rear wheel was installed already when mine arrived, and the rear derailleur was perfectly adjusted already. Thankfully.
    2011 GT Karakoram 1.0

mtbr member
    Skrap, nope i didnt have to cut the steerer, i just remived a spacer bc of the height of the stem. I got it from aawyeah.com for $26 shipped.

mtbr member
    Whoops. Complete brainfart. I meant to say seatpost... not stem. ><
    2011 GT Karakoram 1.0

mtbr member
    Nope didnt need to cut the seat post either.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    edit

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I finally picked up my bike from the LBS after 9 days, It was ready a day early! I had them install the Elixir 3 hydraulic brakes and the Rock Shox XC 32 TK fork. I changed the pedals, seatpost and the stem myself when i put it together. It's been almost 3 weeks since i got it and i only got to take it around the block to try it out before i took it home from the LBS and it was raining of course. Looks like it will be for the next three days also...

mtbr member
    I was having issues with the derailleur yesterday and gave up effing with it and brought it to lbs today . It turns out the chainstay was a tiny bit bent, rear sprocket 4th ring were bent at teeth and front wheel were all bent due to shipping most likely.

mtbr member
    What size would you suggest for 170 cm (5 ft. 7")?
    Unofficial Balfa Cycles website and forum
    Ibis Mojo HD / Giant Trance X / GT Karakoram

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wooyek View Post
    What size would you suggest for 170 cm (5 ft. 7")?
    Unless you have really long legs for your height, I can't imagine being comfortable on anything over a medium. Probably a small.
    2011 GT Karakoram 1.0

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by airic81 View Post
    I was having issues with the derailleur yesterday and gave up effing with it and brought it to lbs today . It turns out the chainstay was a tiny bit bent, rear sprocket 4th ring were bent at teeth and front wheel were all bent due to shipping most likely.
    Ouch. Have you contacted GT yet?
    2011 GT Karakoram 1.0

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skrapmetal View Post
    Unless you have really long legs for your height, I can't imagine being comfortable on anything over a medium. Probably a small.
    Yeah, I was thinking that small would be perfect, but I just like the looks of medium so much more that I was taking it into consideration... But I guess that it wouldn't be a good idea to buy medium just for the nicer frame layout. If the geometry chart on VitalMTB is correct, the difference in top tube lenght is almost 2 cm, which should make a significant difference.
    Unofficial Balfa Cycles website and forum
    Ibis Mojo HD / Giant Trance X / GT Karakoram

mtbr member
    I had to gamble when I picked mine. Only one LBS sells GT's, and they weren't stocking Karakoram's at all. They are slowly going out of business by the look of things, and they can't afford to keep much in stock.

I could probably do just fine with the large for the top tube length, but the standover height wouldn't have been very comfortable for me. I usually go with larges for 26ers.
    2011 GT Karakoram 1.0

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skrapmetal View Post
    Ouch. Have you contacted GT yet?
    I contacted the vendor (blueskycycling) where i bought it from. They are gonna take care of it. A++ service!!! I would recommend them to anyone!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I'm looking to buy a wheel set of a karakoram I want to have a dirt set and a street set but don't want to go trough the hassle of adjusting my db every time, does any of you have a set for sale?

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast