mtbr member

New question here. 2011 Force tire rubs on chainstay.

Hi I noticed that the clearance of the rear tire is minimal, like 2-3 mm. This is towards the front of the rear tire where it meets the chainstays. The tire has to be completely centered for it not to rub. The tire is stock; it is a Maxis Ardent 2.4. The wheel is now not 100% true any more and so now there is only 1mm of clearance. I'm afraid that it will rub when I ride.
    Has anyone else noticed this?
    What can I do to fix this problem?
    Will putting spacer washers on the rear axle help?
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    You should true the wheel first. Then maybe check your hub and make sure it isnt loose.
    2009 GT Marathon Team,GT Force 2.0, GT Jelly Belly TT (nude carbon), and a very special Todd Wells Zaskar.

Chamois Dropper
    I have a similar problem with my Force. My wheel is perfect, but if I try to run a 2.35 tire, I get a slight rub on the non drive side chainstay. No rub with a 2.1. I checked everything, dropouts, hub, etc. It seems to only happen when I am riding hard on technical stuff. I cannot make it hit on the stand no matter how hard I try to yank the tire over with my hand. There is about a 2mm difference in alignment from one side of the chainstay to the side knobs on the tire to the other side. I guess I could dish the rim a little but since I like a 2.1 I'm not going to worry about it. I think my rear triangle came out of the jig with a little tweak.
    2008 GT Force
    Go Veg

mtbr member
    Strange. I would second having the rear wheel dish and tension checked. Just wearing out my stock ardent 2.4, still not close to rubbing, ridden on mostly rocky sierra trail. I've sucked enough granite sand through the stay to wear off the paint near the tread. 2.35 high roller runs great in the rear on the stock Alex rims too.

mtbr member
    problem less evident when i am not riding on the pavement because I do not have tire pressure way up to 50 psi.
    the wheel is not that tweaked. It is just off about a millimeter. I don't think it needs to be trued to fix this problem. Hubs are tightened perfectly; not too loose or tight.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I have been having the same issue with my 2011 Force 2.0 as well. I thought that it was a bad wheel or something. I had planned to get a new wheelset anyhow, so I just didn't worry about it. But when I put my new wheelset on, and went tubelees with the Ardent 2.4s - it was rubbing even worse. Took it to Performance Bike tonight to see if they could fix it, but they weren't able to do much with it except align the dropouts. Now I'm waiting for them to contact GT for a fix.

mtbr member

New question here.

Quote Originally Posted by frank_O_Matic View Post
    I have been having the same issue with my 2011 Force 2.0 as well. I thought that it was a bad wheel or something. I had planned to get a new wheelset anyhow, so I just didn't worry about it. But when I put my new wheelset on, and went tubelees with the Ardent 2.4s - it was rubbing even worse. Took it to Performance Bike tonight to see if they could fix it, but they weren't able to do much with it except align the dropouts. Now I'm waiting for them to contact GT for a fix.
    Let us know if you get a response from Performance or GT.
    I have a Small frame. What size is yours?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Mine is size small, also. Still waiting the "official" response.

mtbr member
    2011 GT Force. NO problem here- I am running 4 year old Performance Bike Loco Wheelset and running 2.35 Nevagals. I have excellent clearance on the sides and front at the chainstays.

Interested in hearing the outcome.

edit: Size large.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Here's the update:

In order to allow me to keep riding while waiting for the response from GT, the guys at Performance Bike (PB) swapped the Ardent 2.4s that my bike came with with some 2.25s that they had just taken off of another bike - they were still brand new. They didn't charge me, but I had to add a few bucks of Stans since I had been running tubeless. With the 2.25s, there was absolutely no rubbing, even on hard leans. They don't handle quite as well as the 2.4s did, but not enough of a difference to get worked up about.

A week or so later, I got a call from PB saying that GT was going to replace my bike. As it turned out, the tire had rubbed enough of the aluminum away along the chainstay that it had comprised its structural integrity. The following week, I got another call from PB saying that my new Force 3.0 had arrived. "Uh, what? I'm sorry, but it sounded like you said 3.0. I have a 2.0" That's right... Turns out the frames are all the same (except the paint scheme), just the component specs are different. So, I expressed my concerns about the lesser components and he said they could swap whatever I wanted to keep from the old bike. Phew! I'm guessing that the manufacturer does this on frame replacements to cut unnecessary losses on the components.

So, last Thursday, I drove over to PB and got there just before they closed. I was hoping they would have a chance to get the stuff swapped over on Friday so I could ride on Saturday. The two guys working were not the dude who had been helping me, but they were familiar with what had been going on with my bike. I told them what the dude said about swapping components, and they were cool with it. They asked if I wanted it done right away. "Uh, what? Now? Aren't you closing in 5 minutes?" Turns out bike mechanics might actually enjoy their job. I pitched in with the stuff I knew how to do, learned on the fly how to do the stuff that I didn't and we got the tear down and rebuild done in about 45 minutes. I didn't have to spend 45 minutes back and forth on a separate trip to pick it up, and I was able to ride on Saturday. Score!

Kudos to Performance Bike for totally taking care of me and for representing my case with GT in the most awesome way. Thank you to GT and Performance for being so quick to identify the problem and send a replacement. I could not be more satisfied.

I did notice, on the new frame as well, that the tire is just a little bit closer to the non drive-side chainstay than the drive-side chainstay. I guess I'll just stick with the 2.25s that I'm running now or smaller tires.

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

Wow, that's great. How badly were the chain stays damaged? Did the GT people have to see it?
    Did they give you a 2011 frame?
    Since I bought my bike thru Giantnerd, I guess I just have to contact GT directly?
    Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by frank_O_Matic View Post
    Here's the update:

In order to allow me to keep riding while waiting for the response from GT, the guys at Performance Bike (PB) swapped the Ardent 2.4s that my bike came with with some 2.25s that they had just taken off of another bike - they were still brand new. They didn't charge me, but I had to add a few bucks of Stans since I had been running tubeless. With the 2.25s, there was absolutely no rubbing, even on hard leans. They don't handle quite as well as the 2.4s did, but not enough of a difference to get worked up about.

A week or so later, I got a call from PB saying that GT was going to replace my bike. As it turned out, the tire had rubbed enough of the aluminum away along the chainstay that it had comprised its structural integrity. The following week, I got another call from PB saying that my new Force 3.0 had arrived. "Uh, what? I'm sorry, but it sounded like you said 3.0. I have a 2.0" That's right... Turns out the frames are all the same (except the paint scheme), just the component specs are different. So, I expressed my concerns about the lesser components and he said they could swap whatever I wanted to keep from the old bike. Phew! I'm guessing that the manufacturer does this on frame replacements to cut unnecessary losses on the components.

So, last Thursday, I drove over to PB and got there just before they closed. I was hoping they would have a chance to get the stuff swapped over on Friday so I could ride on Saturday. The two guys working were not the dude who had been helping me, but they were familiar with what had been going on with my bike. I told them what the dude said about swapping components, and they were cool with it. They asked if I wanted it done right away. "Uh, what? Now? Aren't you closing in 5 minutes?" Turns out bike mechanics might actually enjoy their job. I pitched in with the stuff I knew how to do, learned on the fly how to do the stuff that I didn't and we got the tear down and rebuild done in about 45 minutes. I didn't have to spend 45 minutes back and forth on a separate trip to pick it up, and I was able to ride on Saturday. Score!

Kudos to Performance Bike for totally taking care of me and for representing my case with GT in the most awesome way. Thank you to GT and Performance for being so quick to identify the problem and send a replacement. I could not be more satisfied.

I did notice, on the new frame as well, that the tire is just a little bit closer to the non drive-side chainstay than the drive-side chainstay. I guess I'll just stick with the 2.25s that I'm running now or smaller tires.