mtbr member
    May 2011

2011 Force 1.0 - need opinions

Hi, I'm interested in buying this bike, but would first like to hear some personal opinions about it from either owners of 2011 force 1.0 or if someone else tried riding it...
    how is it, climbing, descending, pedal bob? Some say it's too heavy, head angle not slack enough, etc...

i'm soon gonna have to decide between it and 2011 specialized enduro comp...

Thank you!

Last edited by Pivot; 07-05-2011 at 07:29 AM.

Dooosh!
    Its a great all around bike, depends on what trails your going to be riding, your size and what your looking for. I love mine!
    He who dies with the most toys first, wins!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    What do you ride with yours and what are the downsides of the bike in your opinion?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I'd say it has a rather 'old school' geometry by modern standards. 69 degree HA and essentially 73 degree SA. Quite tall BB as well.

It means you will be somewhat restricted in the AM territory. Anything below that - trailriding etc should be fine. A bit heavy for XC.

The frame is pretty strong and durable AFAIK for everything you might want to put it through.

The suspension is good both uphill and downhill. I even used my for XC racing but this is not a natural territory for the bike.

Bottom line: trail and around it - Force will be fine. More AM, moving towards freeride(ish) - Enduro due to much different geometry.

Generally, these 2 bikes you mention should be very different. I'd recommend a test ride if possible.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks for the reply. Could you say an example where Force is limited in comparison to Enduro? Is it big drops, rocks?
    Has anyone measured "real" weight (with pedals, etc.) ?
    Unfortunately, test ride is not possible because there's no bikes like this in my town (have to be ordered)...
    Also, some pictures of your bikes would be nice, I always like to see nice bikes from the first hand

Dooosh!
    Mine weighs just over 31 lbs, I use it for mostly cross country. I like the extra travel cause Im not a small guy. I have taken it over 3+ foot drops, never had an issue! Picture of my bike is in my profile.
    He who dies with the most toys first, wins!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Mine's a 2.0 from 2008 or 2009. I've downhilled with it at Winterpark, Co. and there wasn't much it couldn't handle. I should rephrase that. There wasn't much I couldn't handle with the Force. On that same trip I went to Fruita, Co. and Moab, UT. and did slickrock with it so you know it can climb. It is one of the best all around bikes. It won't let you down unless you're looking into XC racing or very serious DH stuff. Yes, you can race it, but it is not a lightweight racer. Mine's also 31 lbs. but that's cuz I like it like that. I weigh 200 lbs and have no problem taking it on DH runs or extremely rocky trails. I'm sure it can handle 5 foot drops with no problems if you know how to land them.
    2009 GT Marathon Team,GT Force 2.0, GT Jelly Belly TT (nude carbon), and a very special Todd Wells Zaskar.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Force is not light but pedals quite well for its class and weight.

You would most of all notice geometry limitations on rough and steep downhill runs. It does not mean you won't be able to do these but bikes with slacker HA and possibly longer wheelbase will handle such type of riding better.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    The beauty of this bike is its versatility. I've heard of people who have brought it down to 26 lbs and raced it and others who have put burlier wheels and tires and use it as a light DH bike. If I could only afford to have one bike, this one would be it. I would get rid of my marathon Team before I get rid of my Force, and the Marathon is a much nicer bike. But the marathon is a racer and the Force is a do it all kinda bike. It's all gonna depend on how you ride your bikes. If you have more lift assist trails, then the Enduro may be a better choice, but if you are gonna use the bike for all types of riding then you gotta get the Force.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2011 Force 1.0 - need opinions-sany0315a.jpg  

2011 Force 1.0 - need opinions-sany0303a.jpg  

2011 Force 1.0 - need opinions-sany0317a.jpg  

2009 GT Marathon Team,GT Force 2.0, GT Jelly Belly TT (nude carbon), and a very special Todd Wells Zaskar.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    nice pics!
    no lifts here where i live...
    thanks for all the opinions

EDIT: can someone comment on the Revelation fork that 2011 force 1.0 has ?
    Is it any good? Does it have travel adjust ?
    Last edited by Pivot; 07-07-2011 at 11:42 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Hi everyone, just wanted to say that I'm on the verge of buying 2011 Force 1.0. Tomorrow I'll be granted to try large-sized Force of bike shop owner (not sure what model it is, don't think it's 1.0, but it's an older one) and test it thoroughly. If I end up liking it then I will order it, however I'd just like to know if there is something I should pay attention to, are there any downsides of the Force...you can tell me better since you've been riding it for longer time, I only have 1 day to decide.

I'd be using it for everything, road, trails, slight dh, etc. I am not very experienced in any of those but like experimenting. Wouldn't like to run out of "force"

Thank you!

May the Force be with you
    I also love my Force. I have the Carbon Expert.. Bikes been great!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Did you end buying the Force? The October issue of MBA has it up against four other bikes and they panned it pretty hard.

BTW - I have a 2008 Force 3.0 and love it. As stated above, it's not light, but it's well built.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Nope, I bought the enduro.
    A friend borrowed me his force carbon expert for few days and I didn't like it.
    On steep descents I always felt like going over bars, and few times I almost did.
    It wasn't really light neither, for a carbon bike. Dunno why...
    It had terrible XT brakes, I don't know if those brakes are so bad or he doesn't maintain them, but they braked very poorly...
    Another thing is that it felt too small for me, although it was L. I had to rise seat post all the way up to compensate, but even that didn't help much.
    The bike pedals incredibly well and his had Talas fork upfront which helps even more on uphills.
    Anyway, enduro feels (at least to me) like a more grown-up bike, slacker head angle, felt more secure on donwhills + it had more travel (160), L is really large and fits me perfectly, it is also a bit bigger bike, not very light too unfortunately, but overall feeling is just somehow better so I went with it.