Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2010 GT Marathon Expert Carbon rear triangle help!

3K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  NReynolds 
#1 ·
I recently purchased a 2010 GT Marathon Carbon Expert.
The bushings are shot where the Fox RP-23 rear shock connects to the rear triangle. Upon further investigation I believe since the last owner rode it for awhile like and this it wore into the carbon at that point and created a little bit on play in the rear end at that connection point. So I asked GT if they have a replacement part and they said they did not. So my questions are , can I put some type of shim or something in it? And is there any other GT model with 4" of travel that the triangle will work on the 2010 Marathon Carbon Expert 26"?

Mode of transport Product Bicycle part Brown Transport

See less See more
#4 ·
Gt said that their was not much they could do and they did not have the part off hand. So I have my LBS looking for one since they are a licensed GT dealer.

Exactly NytrostarSS , its just not very bad and I don't plan on riding it on the trails for awhile it should be fine until I can find a replacement rear triangle. I was just curious if anyone had this same problem and if anyone had tried some kind of shims or something at least until replacement.

#5 ·
Gt said that their was not much they could do and they did not have the part off hand. So I have my LBS looking for one since they are a licensed GT dealer.

Exactly NytrostarSS , its just not very bad and I don't plan on riding it on the trails for awhile it should be fine until I can find a replacement rear triangle. I was just curious if anyone had this same problem and if anyone had tried some kind of shims or something at least until replacement.
Can your shop put one on order? It's a strange answer from GT, if they don't have one, who does?

Also, I noticed today that my Zaskar 100 carbon (same as yours for the most part) had a tiny up and down slop at the same spot you are having issues with...I checked the bolt and it had almost backed all the way out! it tightened up ok fortunately and there is now zero slop.

Please update us on your search, we all might benefit from knowing how to source the gt parts.

#6 ·
This was the answer I got from the GT rep.

Eddie

Dec 05 16:09 (AST)

Nyles,

Thank you for writing to us. Unfortunately, we no longer offer a replacement rear triangle for the 2010 Marathon. your best bet would be to check eBay and craigslist for availability. You can also work with a local shop and their outside rep. They can see what is available in the shops in your area. We are sorry about the inconvenience and hope that you can find what you are looking for.

Eddie
Customer Support
Cycling Sports Group

So if they don't have one, and Ebay and Craigslist don't have them either than I don't know what to do.

#8 ·
This is the latest update I received from GT today...

Eddie

Dec 16 10:36 (AST)

Nyles,

Unfortunately, we do not have any rear triangles that will work with you current set up. We are sorry about the inconvenience.

Eddie
Customer Support
Cycling Sports Group

So I will continue to hunt for a new rear triangle for my 2010 gt marathon expert carbon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.