mtbr member
    May 2011

2010 GT force carbon expert, what size shock can I get in there?

my bike came standard with a RP23 7.5 ETE / 2 inch travel

without wanting to get into the details, I am unhappy with my rp23 and want to get a coil shock in there......

can I get a shock with slightly more travel in there? or does it have to be exactly 7.5 / 2?

thx for any advice
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2010 GT force carbon expert, what size shock can I get in there?-pic4.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2011
    let me rephrase that

does the replacement shock I get have to be exactly 190mm / 7.5 inches ETE?

or can I squeeze something more in there? 200mm ? 216mm ?

obviously to get more travel you generally need a longer shock.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    No ,with a longer shock the shock will contact the seat tube

Industry Loudmouth
    Only a 7.5"x2" shock will properly fit in a Force Carbon frame.

Your bike looks to be a 2010. Since then we've adjusted the shock tunes some w/ Fox. I'd recommend contacting Fox directly to see if you can't work out a feel that you are looking for from a different shock. The adjustments that can be made to boost valve pressure and compression & rebound tunes can greatly change the ride characteristics of the bike.

-ska todd

NedwannaB

More info

Quote Originally Posted by ska todd View Post
    Only a 7.5"x2" shock will properly fit in a Force Carbon frame.

Your bike looks to be a 2010. Since then we've adjusted the shock tunes some w/ Fox. I'd recommend contacting Fox directly to see if you can't work out a feel that you are looking for from a different shock. The adjustments that can be made to boost valve pressure and compression & rebound tunes can greatly change the ride characteristics of the bike.

-ska todd
    The OP didn't name specifics on what he didn't like, but you had idea.

I've been looking at this exact year and model. Noticed OP has an XL, I'd be on a small,
    Fox can give some adjustment suggestions, would PUSH be able to do anything more worth the added expense?

Thanks in advance
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Here are my thoughts

I think the rp23 performs poorly for large riders. Since you are getting a small, I think you will have much more luck with it.

I think the rp23 also performs poorly with certain kinds of riding, namely big hits for larger drops or jumps.

For myself, no matter what i do the thing sags too much, as i guess i weigh too much for it (since day 1 its been like this).

so then what happens is on a big hit the thing has no resistance for most of the travel and then suddenly on the last tiny bit it compresses big.

for this same reason its unpredictable on the jumps, sometimes for no reason on take off it pumps the rear trying to make me endo.

my downhill bike with a large push coil shock has none of these issues.

Industry Loudmouth
    Jason,

The problems you are feeling are not inherent to the RP23 across the board. Different size riders or different riding styles can have a HUGE effect on the tune you might want to ride on a particular bike. Just because a particular tune of coil shock works for you on your DH bike does not directly correlate to the identical tune of coil shock having the same level of performance on a different bike.

The specific problems you list were addressed for the MY11 bike by upping the boost valve pressure to 225psi with a medium compression & rebound tube. On the Sanction, the tune differs slightly to have better small bump performance but better control thru higher speed compressions. The 2011/12 Sanction tune is 200psi w/ firm compression & medium rebound.

GT does not recommend a coil shock for use on Force frame for optimal performance.

-ska todd

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I ordered cane creek double barrel coil
    I'll take my chances.
    My personal experience tells me coil shocks have a more linear and more predictable response, which is what I am looking for. I'll post back here how it feels once its installed.

I really like the GT force carbon expert, its a crazy nimble bike - but I have always hated that rp23.

I think my rp23 is broken now anyways from my last ride, its currently making an awful noise every time I pedal, like a popping sound.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    If you decide to give the rp23 another go, I highly recommend a Push tune. I have the same bike - 2010 force carbon expert in large. I'm 195# and went for the Push plush tune. The tune has made an absolutely amazing difference in the handling of the bike. I don't think the difference can be overstated, it basically feels like I bought a new bike.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Nevermind. Figured it out.
    Last edited by D3NN15M; 03-07-2012 at 10:14 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonjm View Post
    I ordered cane creek double barrel coil
    I'll take my chances.
    My personal experience tells me coil shocks have a more linear and more predictable response, which is what I am looking for. I'll post back here how it feels once its installed.

I really like the GT force carbon expert, its a crazy nimble bike - but I have always hated that rp23.

I think my rp23 is broken now anyways from my last ride, its currently making an awful noise every time I pedal, like a popping sound.

i think you have ordered the wrong shock.

The cane creek DB as far as I know does not have any bottom out control on it and the coil spring with give a linear spring rate, which will not play nice with the leverage curve and you will have a bike that blows through its travel, bottoms out with a harsh clunk and bends shock bolts at best as im not to sure how the carbon mounts will take it? Someone I know tried a fox RC coil shock on is sanction and was for ever replacing shock bolts and bad mouthing the sanction as it kept blowing its travel.

The force and sanction frames are meant to work with a progressive shock that works with the leverage curve of the design to prevent harsh bottoming out. This is why the are speced with air shocks as the air spring gets more progressive as it compresses which resists the designs want to blow thought the last part of its travel and bottom out harshly even when the set up with correct sag.

The FOX RC4 would be a better pick for the force frame if you feel the need to go coil as it has some bottom out control on it. But if you really want a DB why not look at the new DB air?

mtbr member
    Hey Herb, what do you think of a Fox DHX Air being used on a Force?
    GT Force 3 ('08) | GT i-Drive 4 2.0 ('06) | GT RTS 3 ('94)

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    can't see any reason it would not work as long as its the correct eye to eye, stroke and tune. but the DHX air is a rather old shock now and i think a newer rp23 with the new tune that gt is using would be where i would be going if i was to re-shock my force.

i have a rp3 body with the mid pro pedal tune which i think? should be close the mid compression tune on the new forces. must get around to throwing it on and trying it out.

why are you wanting to change? the DHX air on my sanction is ok but then so is the rp2 on my force? would love to try a pushed unit on each bike but i can't see that happening due to where i live.

mtbr member
    I am just exploring options! My '08 Force only has the Float R and I'm looking to upgrade to get the most out of the bike.
    GT Force 3 ('08) | GT i-Drive 4 2.0 ('06) | GT RTS 3 ('94)

mtbr member
    May 2011
    well, my GT force is now riding like I wanted it to ride from day one, awesome!

additions:
    butcher front and rear 2.5/2.3 and tubeless
    wtb seat
    odi grips
    cane creek coil

bike is so much better on jumps, and so much better peddling uphill without that ridiculous rp23 bob.

im bottoming out the cane creek on ledge drops over 4 feet, but that was first ride, I'll adjust it tonight.

we will see if i break the force frame I guess, but thats definitely the last time I ever try a bike with air rear.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2010 GT force carbon expert, what size shock can I get in there?-p1.jpg  

2010 GT force carbon expert, what size shock can I get in there?-p2.jpg  

2010 GT force carbon expert, what size shock can I get in there?-p3.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Old Fox RP23 ??

Any chance you would sell me your old Fox RP23? I just purchased a GT Force 3 frame for my son without a shock; needs to be a 7.5x2.0 shock to fit a medium, he is under 100 pounds so it should work great. Also, how about an update on your your new shock.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    i sent that rp23 back to fox for warranty repair, and then sold it immediately on ebay.

Every concern and criticism about putting the DB coil into this bike was wrong, The bike is significantly better than it was with the rp23. All the guys who I bike with have ridden the "new gt force carbon" I have, and all rave about it. There is not a single one who doesn't prefer it to their own bikes for all mountain type trails with jumps or obstacles you need to clear.

BTW, I am 200 lbs+ geared up, drop off up to 6 foot ledges on the GT force carbon and the cane creek double barrel, and there is no bottoming out or "clunk". If you setup the shock correctly, it will work correctly, simple as that.

Had the following mods to my gt force carbon

1) odi rogue grips (grips it comes with too slippery)
    2) wtb seat
    3) Butcher tubeless 2.5 SX front and 2.3 non SX rear
    4) cane creak double barrel coil
    5) removed the 3rd cog from front 3
    6) added bashguard
    7) added chain guide

Absolutely love the GT bike, but I don't use it as much as my other bike below which can take more abuse and bigger hits.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2010 GT force carbon expert, what size shock can I get in there?-img_20120722_085003.jpg