mtbr member
    Sep 2013

2009 Marathon Team - Shock Question

Hello,
    I'm a newbie here and kind of into the mtb scene (grew up racing BMX and then most recently raced moto). I recently purchased a used 2009 GT Marathon Team and it has a Fox RP23 shock on it (just the stock/standard shock that came with). I have the bike up in the work stand (all weight off the bike) and the eye-to-eye measurement of the shock is 6". I would really like to upgrade the rear shock but finding any new shocks with a 6" length seems to be pretty difficult. Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks,
    Blake

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I used to have this bike. Why are you thinking of upgrading the shock? An RP23 was pretty much top of the line back then and still now, not much is better. Maybe go with a Kashima coated RP23 but what you have in there is pretty freaking good bro even by 2013 standards.
    2009 GT Marathon Team,GT Force 2.0, GT Jelly Belly TT (nude carbon), and a very special Todd Wells Zaskar.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Oh, and I think the eye to eye is supposed to be 6.5. I'm almost 100% sure.
    2009 GT Marathon Team,GT Force 2.0, GT Jelly Belly TT (nude carbon), and a very special Todd Wells Zaskar.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by gt jorgito View Post
    Thanks for the information. I'm a newbie to the MTB scene (grew up racing BMX and later got into Moto...eventually held my AMA Pro Motocross License). I'm not at all saying I "need" a better shock or that the RP23 is bad BUT I have a personal problem with always needing the "cool" HAHAHA. Coming from Moto and how all the high dollar suspension is Kashima coated, I would just really like to have a Kashima coated shock and forks...that's all :-). So are you saying that if I took the shock off the bike that it would extend another 1/2" and really measure 6.5".....meaning I need to be looking for a 6.5" replacement?

Just to give you an idea of my OCD on "cool", below is a link to a thread showing my most recent motorcycle build....if you're in the moto, I think you will enjoy looking through all the pages.

Thanks!!!
    Blake

Link:
    http://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Race-S...begins,1247604

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    One other thing, sorry. So where I'm confused is, look at the following link to the Fox website. The shortest they list is a 7.5" x 2.00".....why isn't a 6.5" listed? Also, what does the 2.00" refer to? Directly above the 4 listed lengths, it does say 6.5" x 1.5" no reducers....what does this mean? Is there something obvious about shock lengths that I'm not getting?

Thanks!
    Blake

FLOAT CTD Boost Valve w/Trail Adjust Bike Shock | FOX

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    the 2.0 is the stroke of the shock. I believe it is how much it compresses to give you the required suspension travel. I don't blame you on the fact that you need to have the latest and greatest. I have a Kashima coated fork on my GT Force and it is pretty awesome. No stiction at all. I don't know what the reducers would be unless it means bushings to reduce the eye to eye length. Now I'm wondering if it is a 6 inch eye to eye. You may have to contact Fox to see if they carry a smaller shock.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I would measure the shock off the bike if possible with about half the pressure just to extend it fully. If you have any other questions on the bike and its components let me know. Mine was stock with full XTR and SLR centerlock wheels.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Nice Honda by the way. I never got into Moto, I figured I do stupid stuff on a bike, I might kill myself if it had a motor on it. Hahaha! I do get u though. I'm rebuilding a 96 GSXR 1100 over the winter. Gonna try and do a lot of custom work on it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I would measure the shock off the bike if possible with about half the pressure just to extend it fully. If you have any other questions on the bike and its components let me know. Mine was stock with full XTR and SLR centerlock wheels.
    I might just take you up on that offer the deeper I get into this (I am going to go through the bike this winter). I bought mine used with less than 30 miles on it just a couple months ago....has all Sram/Avid/Elixr components, SLR CL wheels, Fizik carbon saddle, RaceFact Next SL cranks, etc.....I'm pumped on the bike as a whole but just want the cool suspension haha. Thanks again!

Blake

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    ok, sorry for all the posts but I think the reducer is probably the bushing. Most XC bikes need different bushings/reducers to fit different frames that are out there.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by superx421 View Post
    I might just take you up on that offer the deeper I get into this (I am going to go through the bike this winter). I bought mine used with less than 30 miles on it just a couple months ago....has all Sram/Avid/Elixr components, SLR CL wheels, Fizik carbon saddle, RaceFact Next SL cranks, etc.....I'm pumped on the bike as a whole but just want the cool suspension haha. Thanks again!

Blake
    You won't be disappointed. It's a little rocket. I had mine weighing just below 23 lbs with no pedals. The Sram stuff is top of the line too.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    You won't be disappointed. It's a little rocket. I had mine weighing just below 23 lbs with no pedals. The Sram stuff is top of the line too.
    Jorgito,
    Quick question. I haven't yet taken the forks off the bike...could you tell me if they are a tapered or straight tube? Also, is it a 100mm or a 120mm that comes stock on these? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    It's a 120 straight 1 1/8.