mtbr member
    Mar 2009

2009 Marathon carbon pro

I was trying to decide between the GT MCP and the Specialized Stumpjumper FSR expert carbon. I am coming from a '97 GT Rebound (a great bike) so this is my first time on a FS and a light carbon frame to boot!

I need advice about this bike as a purchase: yes, no, indifferent...? I need honest opinions, please. (not that I would find anyone on the GT forum promoting a Specialized!) Anyone have a review of this masterpiece?

I am a 30y.o. who took time off from riding due to a military disability and am returning to the trail because of the love for it, the fitness it brings, and the passion for taking care of nature and machine. I plan to hit trail and street (commute to the local university). Since my disability has limited use of my right hand, I have chosen the GT on a couple reasons, one being the XTR triggers, and two, the Fox RP23 with lockout (for commute). I will adjust them as i see fit to meet my abilities, but having 9 choices on my right does seem daunting. Does anyone have any advice on this issue as well?
    Last edited by getmet79; 03-09-2009 at 11:52 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    You'll probably get a smoother more comfortable ride out of the GT, but the Specialized Stumpy is not a bad bike. I'm assuming the price is about the same. If the GT is less expensive then go for that one. Also look at the travel on both bikes. Is the Stumpy more than 4 inches like the GT? I'm assuming by your injury that you have limited strength or digits on your right hand? You may be able to try and fit the future of shifting from Shimano. They just came up with electronic shifting but it is only on road bikes. Have you tried grip shifters instead of triggers? You can also try the dual control levers from Shimano. That, of course, would require you to buy different shifters for your ride. Well, I hope I helped you at least a little. You can't go wrong with either bike but I'm sure the better deal is the GT. I love GT bikes, and just won't go to another brand but that's my choice. Besides everone out there has a Trek, Specialized or Giant. Be different, get a GT. Best of luck with your choice.
    2009 GT Marathon Team,GT Force 2.0, GT Jelly Belly TT (nude carbon), and a very special Todd Wells Zaskar.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Do it.

I bought a 2008 Marathon Pro just under a year ago, I have put almost 1000 off road miles on it and couldn't be happier with the bike. I have had an issue with the cables rubbing on the carbon under the seat which I have addressed with an insulator. I clean the drive train once a month but otherwise I just ride the bike. It's very comfortable, it climbs very well and I ride the bike aggressively when descending and keep up with my buddies and their long travel "all mountain" bikes
    I am 6ft 190 and have a large frame.
    Performance online has the bike for $2,899.00 (2008 model) I paid $3,499.00 almost a year ago.