mtbr member
    Sep 2008

2009 GT Avalanche

Got this photo. All other 2009 GT models welcome! They're meant to be coming out at the end of September I think.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    cool, got the specs?

wondering what fork and crankset those are

nice

guessing its also the 3.0 with v brakes.. i have the 08

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    heres the 2009 GT 3.0 with disc brakes

Frame GT Triple Triangle design 6061 aluminum with Hydro formed downtube, zero stack headtube. Disc compatible with removeable rear der. Hanger
    Fork SR Suntour XCM one piece aluminIum lowers with disc mount and preload adjustment, 100 mm travel with lock out
    Rear Shock
    Brake Levers Tektro IO, cable actuated Disc
    Brakes Alloy with reach adjust for linear pull brakes
    Shifters Shimano 8 speed rapidfire shifters
    Front Derailleur Shimano M - 330
    Rear Derailleur Shimano Alivio
    Bottom Bracket Cartridge Sealed
    Crankset Suntour XCT-302 42 / 32 / 22 for eight speed
    Chain IG-31
    Pedals High Impact nylon MTB with Steel Cage
    Headset Tange Seiki system for 1-1/8"
    Handlebar Stem GT ATB, 31. 8mm bar bore threadless 15 degree rise with four bolt alum face plate
    Handlebar Alum. 31.8mm 20 mm Rise, 6 degree bend, anatomically sized
    Hubs Fron: Alloy QR for Disc, 8 speed Cassette with QR for Disc
    Cassette / Freewheel Shimano Eight Speed 11 - 32 T
    Spokes Stainless Steel, 14 gauge
    Rims / Wheelset Alex ASD-1 Double Wall, anodized black
    Tyres Kenda Nevegal, 26 x 2.1
    Seat Post Alloy Micro adjust
    Saddle WTB Speed V
    Extras Grips: GT Dual Density ATB
    Sizes XS, S, M, L, XL
    Colours Matte Blue or White

$649.00

if pic doesent work heres link http://www.mcbains.com.au/index.php?q=node/362

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    heres the 2009 1.0 Avalanche

Frame GT Triple Triangle design 6061 butted aluminium with hydroformed downtube, zero stack headtube. Disc compatible with replaceable rear der. Hanger
    Fork Rock Shox Dart 3, preload adjust with magnesium lowers, external rebound adjust and Turn-Key lock out
    Rear Shock
    Brake Levers Tektro Auriga comp, hydraulic, dual piston, cold forged
    Brakes Tektro Hydrualic
    Shifters Shimano Deore 9 speed separate
    Front Derailleur Shimano Deore
    Rear Derailleur Shimano XT Shadow
    Bottom Bracket FSA Sealed Bearing Cartridge
    Crankset FSA Alpha Drive 44 / 32 / 22
    Chain Shimano HG-53 Nine Speed
    Pedals Welgo M-21
    Headset Tange system for 1-1/8"
    Handlebar Stem GT ATB, 31.8mm bar threadless 15 degree rise with four bolt alum face plate
    Handlebar GT Mtn Riser, 15 mm rise, 6061 heat treated, 31.8 mm clamp
    Hubs Front: Shimano Disc, Rear: Shimano Disc 9 speed
    Cassette / Freewheel SRAM Nine speed index cassette 11 - 32 T
    Rims / Wheelset WTB SX-24 ATB black anodized
    Saddle WTB Pure V, with stitched cover and protective corners
    Sizes S, M, L, XL
    Colours Matte Gray or White
    $1199.00

http://www.mcbains.com.au/index.php?q=node/455

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    2009 GT avalanche 2.0

Frame GT Triple Triangle design 6061 butted aluminIum with hydroformed downtube, zero stack headtube. Disc compatible with replaceable rear der. Hanger
    Fork Suntour XCR-LO hydraulic fork with crmo 30 mm stanchions, magnesium lowers, preload adjust, 100 mm of travel and lock out
    Rear Shock
    Brake Levers Tektro Auriga comp, hydraulic, dual piston, cold forged
    Brakes Tektro Hydrualic
    Shifters Shimano 8 speed rapidfire shifters
    Front Derailleur Shimano M - 330
    Rear Derailleur Shimano SLX
    Bottom Bracket Shimano Octalink Cartridge Sealed
    Crankset Shimano FC-M311 42 / 32 / 22 Octalink
    Chain HG 40 Shimano 8 speed Chain
    Pedals ATB Aluminium body, Steel cage, toe clip compatible
    Headset Tange Seiki system for 1-1/8"
    Handlebar Stem GT ATB, 31.8mm bar threadless 15 degree rise with four bolt alum face plate
    Handlebar Alum. 31.8mm, 20mm Rise, 6 degree bend, anatomically sized
    Hubs Front: Alloy QR for Disc, Rear: Aluminium QR sealed mechanism 8 speed cassette for Disc
    Cassette / Freewheel Shimano Eight Speed 11-32 T
    Rims / Wheelset Jalco AX-430 Alloy Double Wall ATB
    Saddle WTB Pure V, with stitched cover and protective corners
    Sizes XS, S, M, L, XL
    Colours Matte Red or Matte Black

$899.00

lol instead of me taking up to much bandwidth here is a link to pretty much the whole 2009 GT line up http://www.mcbains.com.au/index.php?q=product/1/2/4/14
    Last edited by bigCgt; 09-05-2008 at 11:41 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    We have already got in a white 2009 Avalanche 1.0 and sold it. My rep told me we will be getting the new catalogs next week. Many of the 2009 Avalanches are in stock and ready to ship.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    not much different with the 2009 3.0 vs the 2008 one.. but i see that the 2009 2.0 got a few upgrade.. hydraulic discs vs mechanical discs and SLX Rear Derailleur vs Alivio rears.. i got a the Avalanche 2.0 SE (Special Edition) which came with hydraulic disc and Deore LX rear derailleur, and rockshox dart 2 front shocks.. got mine for $750 cnd end of season pricing, regular is $850 cnd

mtbr member
    I live at the beach, so my LBS's are rather limited in what they have in stock. One store does stock these because the city's bike patrol uses them.

What are people's thoughts on the 2009 Avalanche 3.0 disc? Is this a "toy" bike? Is it one with components that will break down quickly?

I've mostly been looking at 2nd tier hardtails such as Specialized Rockhopper (base model), GF Marlin, or Trek 4500. At $540, the GT Avalanche 3.0 Disc is cheaper than the others. Is that only because it's not a top name bike, or is it because the components are weaker?

In my 5-minute parking lot ride, I did notice that the SR Suntour XCM fork's lockout actually did what it says. Unfortunately, the RockShox Dart 3 and 2 forks on Rockhopper and Marlin (respectively) do not lock out. They only limit its travel.

Thanks for the opinions.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    im a big person at 285 and the only thing i had to upgrade on my 08 avalanche 3.0 was the crank

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I had my 08 3.0 disc for a week before I bent the seatpost, but the frame seems like a tank.

LEBA Certified
    Aug 2009

New to MTBR

Hi there,

I just recently purchased my 2009 GT Avalanche 3.0, and after searching for riding groups came across this website. I have enjoyed my GT thus far, only having taken it out on the trails in Vereen Gardens as of this post. As of now, it's just myself and two friends that are actively riding. I look forward to many other outings, and possibly finding a good group to ride with.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

A great bike

2009 GT Avalanche 3.0 disc for 399+tax

Just started riding again since 19 I'm 38 now and I live in a much harder city to bike in now, San Francisco Ca. Tons of hills.

So far the GT is doing a great job.
    Disc brakes work great, with the speed you can pick up going down hills I need great brakes heck we all do.
    The shock lock works great going up hills and overall the shocks are very responsive.

Not too light of a frame which I like
    The looks is last thing I look at but I rather think its a sweet looking bike.
    I like bike with no stickers on shocks so they are gone.
    The place I got from put it together right first time and tight.

Shifting is smooth after you get used too it, I never had a 10speed or MTB but I was fine right away
    Added lights, helmet, 2 locks, gloves, I ride 3-4 times a week 3-5 hrs for health in fresh am fog with 2 buddies that also got new bikes,we all 3 went different bikes.

Cons so far none but sure some will come up

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Similar to Ken in SF, I used to mtn bike daily after school and race, etc on weekends back in the 90's (high school).

I just recently started getting back into it, and being used to alum. hardtails, I picked up the above mentioned '09 GT 3.0 disc for $399 (blue). Great deal for what you get. Now I know in the long run, it's better to just buy a better bike off the bat rather than upgrade (ie. you save more money) but I couldn't help but start spending money on upgrades.

I've ridden it stock several times now and it is taking the beating like a champ, although the rear wheel already needs to be trued again...but it's just getting broken in.

This weekend is my b-day and I'll be installing a RS Tora 318 and upgrading to BB7s.

The other stuff I'll probably keep stock until it breaks or no longer works, after which I'll upgrade (ie. derailleurs).

It's obviously not the greatest bike out there, but for $399 I think it's REALLY tough to beat.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Okay, as a follow-up to my last post, the RS Tora 318 coils are amazing!!! Such an improvement over the stock suntours. It was a completely different ride and the white fork paint really brings out the white trim on my frame. I think it looks great. I don't have pics right now, but I'll try get some up.

Of course, the BB7's are a huge improvement as well. I love the avalanche frame though - handles really well and fits me like a glove.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Smile

I have a 2009 Avalanche 3.0.
    made a few changes these are:
    wheels: Fulcrum 10 with Continental Vertical tyres
    Chainset: Deore m590 Hollowtech II
    cassette: STX HG 50
    Rear Derailleur: shimano SLX Shadow
    brakes: Shimano M535 deore hydraulic
    Forks: manitou R7 Elite TPC (100mm)
    saddle: Charge Spoon

After losing the suntour forks it was a heck of a lot lighter and better to ride. the brakes are just better and less hassle. It's still a bit budgety, but lots of fun