mtbr member
    Apr 2004

2008 Marathon 2.0

I was in a Performance store a few days ago and there was a guy in there with a real vintage bike. I told him, dooood, just get a new bike and stop trying to upgrade that relic. So...

The guy said he'd been thinking about spending 1500-2000 bucks on a new ride but had no clue where to start looking. Let me preface this by saying this isn't me wanting the new bike, I've got two Turners and a Superlight and am real happy. The manager of the store pulled out a Marathon 2.0, full LX, Recon 351, Float R. It fit the guy, he's spinning around in the parking lot with totally unbroken in LX disc brakes, he comes back and asks me what I think.

Tell me folks, is the 2008 GT Marathon 2.0 a good bike? I know the components were pretty nice, for around $1650 the price seemed right, but I don't know a thing about I-Drive. What could I have said to him other than "you have to start somewhere and this looks like a good buy". How does the I-Drive system compare to my Turner's linkage system (one a horst link, the other a TNT) or my '07 Superlight's single pivot? What could it do better or does GT have it down by now?

I may see this guy riding his relic on a trail someday and I want to be able to encourage him or tell him to keep looking. I don't want to steer him towards a hardtail and he'd never need anything freeride oriented. Thanks.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Pretty active forum you got here

No one has an opinion?
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

May the Force be with you
    The Marathon got great reviews in Mountain bike action.I think it was about 2 months back.I love my GT. Rides great, the idrive sytem is very good.