mtbr member
    Aug 2008

2008 GT Marathon's

I tried searching and it seems like not too many people have this bike or any Marathon relative to the Force and/or Sanction. Are there any problems or issues with the Marathon's? I am interested in the Marathon 1.0. I have narrowed my choices between the Marathon 1.0, Fuji Outland RC, GF HiFi Deluxe, Santa Cruz Superlight, and Motobecane Fantom Team. I am leaning towards the GT because it has the most bang for the buck as the components are XT and nice Fox suspension.

I am hoping Marathon owners chime in and prove some feedback on their bikes.

Thanks

mtbr member
    ive heard of no problems, just be careful of the cable routing around the rear shock, if not done properly then it will eat into the paint really really REALLY bad!

mtbr member
    I've a marathon 2 for about half a year and I really like it. The suspension is always super active, even under power going up hill. One place where I ride has a fair few steps to ride up and it handles them no problems. Also I bottom the suspension a fair bit, especially since I've got a bit braver with some bigger drops and gap jumps but it never feels harsh.

It is not however a super efficient feeling suspension system, it does bob when you stand up and it absorbs body movement a bit when your playing around jumping stuff and manualing.

I use it mainly for longer rides, usually over 3 hours in length and I have the large size. It's really great for this purpose as it is so comfortable and capable. For short rides I much prefer my rigid singlespeed though. it feels way more responsive and easy to maneuver, also probably because it is a smaller size. So for me, long rides it is awesome, short rides it is not as much fun unless I'm doing some bigger drops and jumps.

Oh, also a guy at my work has the carbon and the flex bone thing broke on his, he did thrash it a bit though. I've also heard of one case of it breaking on a i-drive 5. The cable routing tip is right too, but mine came with good routing.