mtbr member
    May 2008

2008 GT Avalanche Expert or 1.0

Hello,

I currently have a Gary Fisher Wahoo from 2005. It is a basic bike that I purchased more for fitness and fun around town and have put about 1000mi on it. I really enjoy the bike for its intended use. However, a friend of mine who mountain bikes every weekend took me out last week. I am now hooked and want to begin to embrace the sport. We are weekend warrior types and do mainly trails, single track and some light downhill. Most of the guys ride GTs and he can get me about 25% off any GT I choose. I have been comparing the Avalanche 1.0 or Expert and don't know enough to know the differences or if I will notice them. The only thing I do know is the Expert has a Rock Shock. My question is the Expert worth the extra money over the 1.0. I also am concerned bc. in the review section despite receiving a 4.30 there are some stories about parts breaking ect. The forum lacks a substantial enough review for the Expert.

Any insight would be great. I also would like to know if I am safe with these bikes and GT as a company...as a new rider in this arena. I really want to stay under $1000 for now economy, may be losing job in next few months etc. But can always upgrade if I embrace it more. I road a friends 3.0 and it killed my Gary Fisher although the Fisher had a larger frame as I intended it more for local around town use then trails. Finally, what does lockout mean and how is it used?

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    In my opinion (working at a GT dealer, and having just bought a 2008 Ava 1.0 at staff deal price) is that the Expert doesn't give enough added value over the 1.0. The Tora U-Turn fork may have the U-turn travel adjustment but its also a heavier fork than the Suntour X100 and really... 100mm of travel is enough for such a hardtail. And the SRAM drivetrain on the Expert I'd rather not have when you get basically an entire shimano drivetrain on the 1.0.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    May 2008
    thank you. Is there a difference in build quality between the two. I heard stories of stuff bending and parts coming off.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Nope, they're assembled in the same factory... if stuff is bending its because people are riding beyond the designed strength levels for the parts. As to stuff coming off, that depends on who did the final prep at the dealer.... as they're packaged a mechanic attaches the bar, pedals, front QR & wheel, inflates the tires, inserts the seatpost (with saddle already attached) and adjusts the gears/brakes.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    Nope, they're assembled in the same factory... if stuff is bending its because people are riding beyond the designed strength levels for the parts. As to stuff coming off, that depends on who did the final prep at the dealer.... as they're packaged a mechanic attaches the bar, pedals, front QR & wheel, inflates the tires, inserts the seatpost (with saddle already attached) and adjusts the gears/brakes.
    Thank you I was reviewing your website and you seem very knowledgeable. I am still struggling to decide if I should spend the extra $200 for the Expert (its a mental thing). I essentially will be saving about 25% of MSRP for either. I just don't know if someone at my level will know the difference. After reviewing your website I thought I may ask you if you think it makes sense to purchase the 1.0 and do some upgrades instead. Would I be in a better position at the end of the day? And if so what types of inexpensive upgrades would you recommend. I am looking for upgrades that may improve performance, durability, weight and of course enjoyment.

Also, do you recommend any books or websites on bike maintenance. I am the type of person who likes to learn and research even if I will rarely use the knowledge. My friend is different he rather pay money not ask questions and let someone else tell him. I live in an area where people love to spend money bc. they have it (not me) which translates into higher prices. I am not inept and my personality is I prefer to find the perfect deal and be somewhat economical balancing price and performance. I think it makes sense for me to learn how to tune my gears and bike rather then pay someone $70 dollars to do it. Last year I was charged $70 and waited over a week to have my GF Wahoo tuned and the chain still was hitting the front derailleur, and missing gears. Believe it or not I tipped a guy at aid station from a local bike shop during a county run "bike Sunday" 3 weeks later. While holding my bike up he fixed the chain hitting the derailleur, tuned it and fixed a bent crank. All in less then 5 minutes for a $15 tip. My bike has never been better and I am motivated to at least learn the basics of a tune up so I am not taken again.

mtbr member
    I just looked at the GT websight and the difference in the two bikes is huge. The Expert is a bargain at $200 more than the 1.0. You couldn't even upgrade the fork for $200. Go to the Gt websight and look at the build spec. The Expert is all name brand, the 1.0 is not. I'll bet the difference will really show in the weight of the two bikes. If you can try them side by side you'll feel the difference.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweeney
    I just looked at the GT websight and the difference in the two bikes is huge. The Expert is a bargain at $200 more than the 1.0. You couldn't even upgrade the fork for $200. Go to the Gt websight and look at the build spec. The Expert is all name brand, the 1.0 is not. I'll bet the difference will really show in the weight of the two bikes. If you can try them side by side you'll feel the difference.
    Thank you you just made things much easier for me. I spoke with a friend of mine who also agreed with your same comment when he reviewed the specs.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I have an Avalanche 3.0 and my plan is to upgrade it over time to be closer to the Expert. If you can afford it from the start, do it!