Just a punk in the street

2005 Idrive 2.0 Rear Shock

I have a 2005 GT Idrive 5 2.0 that I have been riding for 3 years now. Something has happened to the rear shock. It is a Fox Float R. A decent enough shock I guess. I have no idea though as this is my first FS bike.

The shock does not extend as far as it used to and when I sit on the bike it bottoms out. I have checked the air pressure and its fine. Around 250 lbs. I am trying to do more of the maintenance on my bikes now days and need some help here. This is completely new territory for me.

First of all would it be better to have this shock fixed/rebuilt or should I buy a new one.

If I buy a new one how does one go about choosing a good shock and how do I know what size will fit this bike? I can't seem to find any info on sizing a shock for this bike. I don't mind spending a little extra for extra quality/function either. I am doing some research on shocks but, man, how confusing is that.

Any ideas or advice?

Thank you!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Here's the deal man, Your shock may be leaking pressure. Leaking not out of the main chamber but probably from chamber to chamber. ANYONE IS WELCOME TO CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG. Some shocks have two chambers, one is for positive pressure and one for negative pressure. It works off of having uneven pressures between the chambers. If the seal between them is leaking then it won't work right. The pressure inside the shock won't change but it cannot control it anymore. Cambria bike has killer specials on shocks right now. If you want a far better shock then you can have yours PUSHed. I sent my Fox RLC and it works great. Push industries rebuilds them, set them to your type of riding and weight, and puts a stable platform on them. It's worth the money. Let me know if you have anymore questions. Here are the websites.

www.pushindustries.com

www.cambriabike.com

Good luck

Just a punk in the street
    Quote Originally Posted by gt jorgito
    Here's the deal man, Your shock may be leaking pressure. Leaking not out of the main chamber but probably from chamber to chamber. ANYONE IS WELCOME TO CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG. Some shocks have two chambers, one is for positive pressure and one for negative pressure. It works off of having uneven pressures between the chambers. If the seal between them is leaking then it won't work right. The pressure inside the shock won't change but it cannot control it anymore. Cambria bike has killer specials on shocks right now. If you want a far better shock then you can have yours PUSHed. I sent my Fox RLC and it works great. Push industries rebuilds them, set them to your type of riding and weight, and puts a stable platform on them. It's worth the money. Let me know if you have anymore questions. Here are the websites.

www.pushindustries.com

www.cambriabike.com

Good luck
    Thank You! I'll check into these sites.