mtbr member
    Feb 2008

2005 avalanche 1.0 question on headset ...

I bought the bike used and when it shipped to me the fork became seperated from the frame. Took it to the bike shop and he said the headset isn't right and that the right headset is only made by GT and I would have to call them. They "cobbled" it together for me with the parts that shipped with the bike. Anyone familiar with this frame and this situation? What do I need for a headset if what came with it isn't right. I'm going to pick it up and I spose take it to a different shop, but want to know what to tell them I need. Any help would be great. it's a 2005 GT Avalanche 1.0 with a rock shox Tora. Thanks.

Jason

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I thought the headset should be either integrated or zero-stack (not real sure which, haven't had the bike out in awhile-snow). On my '06, the headset is made by cane creek w/a GT cap...I'd get a second opinion. I could be wrong (not the first time today)

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thanks for responding. Forgot to post that I got this figured out with the help from a guy at GT ... actually pacific cycles (they bought them out) I think. The guys name was Ryan and he was very helpful. It was just a zero stack headset ... my LBS was stumped (they said the parts weren't made - funny it seems as it zero stack is very common), not exactly building my faith in that shop. Got a cane creek ZS6 and couldn't press the new cups in so took the bike to another shop in town that was competent and they got it done for me for under $20. Support Kyle's bikes in Ankeny, IA ... good guys!

Jason

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    yeah, a shop that doesn't know a zero stack should quickly be passed en route to a better shop. kinda disheartening, really. Any thoughts on the Tora? 'bout to pull the trigger on one myself.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I've barely ridden it since it got back together, but it seems to be pretty heavy on the front of the bike. I'll have to ride it a bit once it gets a little nicer. I'm a heavy rider (around 225#) and it seems to work well for my weight which is nice. Other than the perceived chunkiness of the fork, I think it's a good fork.