mtbr member
    Aug 2007

2004 I-Drive 1.0 anything to know?

Just picked up this bike off Ebay from a dealer that I guess has been holding it over for some time....its new and seemed like a good deal so I picked it up. I had been looking for close to 5 months everywhere for a good bike to get back into mountian biking and this seemed to fit the bill.

My general question after doing some searching is there anything I should be worried about or problem items to look for? Seems the seat post might be a problem if you have to drop it too much but i dont have the bike in my possesion yet so am not sure.

I will mostly be doing desert riding here in Phoenix so dusty, hot and rocky. Anything that other have expierienced or any tips with this bike and model would be greatly appreciated. Very excited about getting back out there and riding and glad I found this place, thanks!

Caleb

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    The seat post isn't really a big problem. If you think you are gonna need to drop it so much that it would hit the shock, then you can cut a few inches off your seat post and solve the dilemma. I had the black 1.0 and loved it. Rode it at Moab a couple of times with no problems. Took it to Colorado and did some moderate chair lift trail riding. This frame is burlier than the ones from 2002 and below so you can be a little tougher on them. If you do have to cut your seatpost make sure you always have half to an inch showing through the bottom. If it goes any higher than that, you will be putting alot of stress on top of the seat post tube. It is a pretty good bike so enjoy it. Oh and also make sure you try and keep the I-drive eccentric bottom bracket kinda clean. It is a chore to have to break it apart to replace the bearings. I guess a shop can do that for you though. Have fun dude.

Vita brevis
    I have the I-drive 2.0 from the same year with some upgrades and love it. Like Jorgito said, always leave at least a half inch showing at the bottom of the seatpost, otherwise you risk breaking the seat tube. The only real issue I had with original parts was with the bottom bracket. It locked up on me after about a year. I replaced it with a race face that had double bearings on the drive side and have had no problems since. I also think that a 120 mm fork handles better on this bike, but that's just my opinion. Have fun with it, it's a great bike.