mtbr member
    Feb 2008

2002 GT I-Drive frames. Whats the difference?

I belive 2002 was the last year GT built frames in the U.S. I maybe wrong, but never the less I have a question. I have both GT I-Drive 2.0 and 5.0 frames and they are the same size. I do not know which one to use and I am asking everyone here is there a difference in the frames besides just the decals stating the version? I can't find any difference and both are made in the USA and are built with 6061 series Aluminum. Any help guys?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Generally the frames themselves are identical across the board in a particular model designation eg i-drive, zaskar, avalanche, the differences in the models will be how they are specced from the factory. Originally your 2.0 will have had better components than the 6.0. In your case building from a frame only the 2.0 might have a slightly better rear shock than the 6.0 otherwise apart from paint and decals they are the same underneath. Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I asked GT this question years ago and kept the email, here's the response:

Subject---------------------------------------------------------------2001 Frames Discussion Thread---------------------------------------------------------------
    Customer - 03/19/2003 06:04 AM Was there a difference between the 1.0-3.0 compared to the 4.0-5.0 frames? From what I remember the 4.0 and 5.0 shared the same seat mast, but the frame was heavier and the rear triangle was different. Question Reference #030319-000007

Response (Customer Service Representative) - 03/20/2003 08:08 AM The 2001 GT I drive 4.0 and 5.0 were developed with a different seatmast and rear triangle, that added weight to the frame and made them more suitable to beginning riders. Thank you. AskGT

GT-Maniac
    2001 was the last year GT built frames in the USA. (Zaskar Team, i-drive Team)

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobo
    2001 was the last year GT built frames in the USA. (Zaskar Team, i-drive Team)
    This is correct and 01' and prior only a select group of s were made in the U.S.A.
    Most of the s were made over seas. Only the high end models were made in the U.S.A. with Easton 6061 tubing.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden