mtbr member
    Nov 2004

2001 I-drive Team comparison to 2006 Id 4 1.0

Ok,

Here's the deal. I LOVE my I-drive Team but I may be able to get a used Id 4 1.0 (the White one). I like that bike alot but in order to get it I have to sell my I-drive Team. I need some advice from guys that have the new Id 1.0. My Team is the blue and yellow and it's full XT drivetrain, Crossmax XL's, SID Sl and pushed fox float. It's light, and nimble. Should I go ahead and do this or just keep the Team and upgrade stuff. What do you guys think? I need lots of opinions on this one. Thanks.

mtbr member
    I think this is something only you can decide. I don't think there is too much you can upgrade on your Team. You're pretty much maxed out but you and I know that it's a great ride. It's also a classic; the last of the Cali Idrive's before the bankruptcy; and the blue and yellow just rocks. It's a great xc race bike but it's limited; push it too hard and it will break. The 1.0 is much more versatile probably a lot heavier and lacking the soul of the Team. I love my Team and I want to be open minded but I think that if you can't get the 1.0 without selling the Team you should wait until you can have both.

On second thought; I think you should wait until you see what GT has coming down the pike in the next few years. Then I think you just might find a worthy replacement for your 2001 Idrive Team.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Thanks for the opinion Sweeney. I might just wait and see what GT comes up with. I'm gonna keep my Team cuz like you said, it is a classic. I've looked at the carbon marathons but I'm 205 lbs. and don't know if they can take the abuse of a burly rider. I'm the kind of rider that muscles his bike around and I have to be careful with the Team. I did buy a Force 2.0 and luv it too but the Team is just so quick. I'm gonna test ride a Marathon in the Hotter than Hell 100 race in Wichita Falls, Tx. and see how that feels. It would be awesome if GT came up with a new GT Team with blue and yellow colors. I'd get on that car and head straight to my IBD. I'll just hold on to my Team bike for now, maybe forever.

GT J

Front Range, Colorado
    My 2 cents:

The team is a sweet ride and these new bikes don't have anything on it. I would ride the Team upgrading along the way until the frame cracks, as they are notorious for that. It may or may not crack but either way I would ride it until it is trashed and then buy a new frame and switch over the parts. You're not missing out on anything by not riding one of the new designs. The original I-Drive design IMO is as good if not better than the new design. And the Team was at the top of the line and is made from lightweight Easton aluminum which only the elite models received. "Keep it, ride it, wear it out and then replace the frame and switch over parts".
    Or strip it down and save the frame for a GT museum 20 years down the road.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Thanks for your opinion DirtJ. This is what I'm talking about, good honest opinions. I guess I just needed some convincing to not sell my Team. I'll just keep upgrading it when stuff breaks on it. It is a sweet ride.

GT J

mtbr member
    Just one more thing:

2001/2004 GT I-drive team.......

I don't think there will ever be a thread that lasted over three years, with over 135 posts for the 2006

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    A point very well made. I'm sticking to the Team til it breaks or til I break. Hee Hee.

Front Range, Colorado
    Sweeney,
    Not that I need recognition but I would like to take some of the credit for keeping that thread going.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A