mtbr member
    Apr 2007

2001 GT Avalanche 2.0 Max Tire Width?

Hey guys,

I have a 2001 GT Avalanche 2.0 that came with 2.1 WTB Velociraptors front and rear. I'd like to replace them with something a bit more beefy, and have looked at the 2.35 Kenda Nevegals. Does anyone know if these will fit? I have measured, and it appears they will, but does anyone have any experience?

I've heard that 2.1 Velociraptors aren't really an actual 2.1 tire, as they are a tad bit thinner, which is why I'm worried already about the 2.35 Nevegals (which are supposedly "real" 2.35s)

cbc
    Bullit Rider
    Apr 2006
    I've had 2.4 WTB tires on mine, and they fit, but my 2.1 Tiogas seemed to be about the same tread width... what you want to look at is the metric measurement on the tire. Like "57/51" or some numbers like that. Those are the real measurements of the tire, tread width and sidewall buldge. That number is from my Tiogas, and like I said they fit, but I would not go bigger than that.

Good luck, I hope this helps,
    Clay

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thanks for the reply!

I'm wondering if there is a website that gives the actual numbers on the sidewall for the Kendas, because Kenda's site doesn't list them.

Has anyone had any first hand experience with 2.35 Nevegals on an Avalanche 2.0?

No good in rock gardens..
    The 2.35 Nevegals will be a fair bit wider than the WTB's. The 2.1 Nevegals are more like a 2.2, and would be a little wider than your WTB's. You could fit a 2.35 Nevegal front, and 2.1 Nevegal rear.
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Sideknob
    The 2.35 Nevegals will be a fair bit wider than the WTB's. The 2.1 Nevegals are more like a 2.2, and would be a little wider than your WTB's. You could fit a 2.35 Nevegal front, and 2.1 Nevegal rear.
    Gah! Curse the Avalanche and its thin tire clearance!

Thanks for the reply, Sideknob.

Shiggy's site http://mtbtires.com/ lists many real measurements for MTB tyres - well worth a look. I've run the 2.1 Tioga Extreme XC on my Avalanche (2005 model) which is a similar size and profile to the 2.1 Nevegal. It fits on the back, with maybe 7mm at the sides. I wouldn't think a 2.35 Nevegal would get in there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I've rethought my decision, anyway. It seems as if there is plenty of negative about the Nevegals. How did you like those Tiogas? I saw those on Shiggy's site and they looked decent...

(Thanks again for the reply!)

The Extreme XC's are a good allrounder. Big, but not super heavy and not too slow feeling either. They can sometimes be found for cheap, too. They work well in the gravelly, rocky, loose stuff around here. They are a more square profile than your front Velociraptor, and can handle more of a lean in the corners. Go for kevlar beaded ones preferably - just a little lighter than the regular wire bead ones.