Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2001 Avalanche 1.0 headset question

3K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  jc1surf 
#1 ·
#2 ·
no, the semi integrated, where the bits that are pressed into your frame that hold the bearings, they are actually machined into the frame, so the cups arn't there any more...good if you want to replace headsets or have low stack height, bad if there is wear and tear in there...
You could maybe look into finding a headset with a lower stack height. Dunno who makes them, but AI'm sure someone will know. Also maybe try to find a stem that has a lower profile clamp. (Don't knwo what the height of headset, profile of your stem are, so you may not be able to find lower items).

#6 ·
yeah... no...
Even though I was wrong I keep mixing up integrated with semi integrated or zero stack. Integrated is where the bearings go directly into the machined frame, zero stack is where the bearings are inside the head tube, but still a press in headset.
The problem still is that the headset goes inside the frame, bearings and all as opposed to a regular headset where the bearings sit outside the frame. To make it all fit the head tube is bigger as the bearings have to go around the steerer tube, but still fit in the frame...
EG the headset diameter for a 1 -1/8th steer tube is 34.0mm and for a zero stack is 41.4mm. So it just wont fit.

Of course I could be wrong, have been before, but I believe thats how it goes.

#7 ·
Hello fellas, hope you don't mind if I chime in. same situation here... and stumped !

Petronas- hows the search or fix coming along with the headset? I'm also going through the same situation. Im building up a 2003 GT i-drive 1.0. on bikepedia, the spec sheet says 1 1/8 semi-integrated headset. I was told by my lbs that the semi-integrated or zerostack, "require" sort of a cup whether pressed in cup or machined with the frame to hold the bearing up for the zero stack, which i want to get rather than the tradition external headset. i looked into my headtube, and the interior wall was pretty much flat, so therefor no sort of "cup" to hold the bearing.

wondering if you had any luck with your find, or did you just stuck to the external hs.

would you know you if it's possible to use pressed in cups, and then use integrated or zero-stack headset?

while browsing headsets, on chainreaction, i think i saw a crankbro headset, looks lowpro, prob check that out, but im not exactly sure and fsa looks like they make some lopro external sets
thanks fellas,

#8 ·
no. you can't mix and match the different headset standards, it's either integrated, semi integrate or external.
integrated needs to have a special bearing surface made when the frame is made that the bearings just drop into, semi integrated has a special sized head tube that the bearings are pressed into and regular has a normal sized headtube where the headset is pressed into, but the bearings are still outside.

#9 ·
thanks for the clearity mik_git :thumbsup: . what was throwing me off was from the spec sheet on bikepedia. it list the headset as semi-integrated...so i figured a zs might fit but like you stated, the ht is of normal size, not a bigger or anything special in the ht design.

thanks again for the tip, i think im going for a external hs.

and pardon me, if this was some form of thread jacking.:madman: still a noob

thanks again guys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.