mtbr member
    Oct 2008

2001-2002 Zaskar

Hi Again,
    2'nd question of the day.
    Doe anyone have first hand experience or opinions with a 2001-2002 Zaskar?
    Any guess's on it's value in very good condition?
    Thanks
    skramer

dreaming of bottlerockets
    Which model is it?

I have a 2001 GT Zaskar Race (Red/Black/White). It bought it in essentially NOS condition two years ago for $1000 Cdn. and I flogged it all the way to Expert in my first year of racing while only changing the fork, cables, and housing.

It's a harsh riding machine, but the tubes seem to have more spring than other aluminum hardtail bikes that I've ridden (and they had bigger, cushier tires).

If you want to go uphill fast, snag it, but pay as little as you can because if it has been used heavily (despite being in very good condition) components will start to wear out. If it has an early SID X/C, junk it for something newer with better damping. My '01 Race will take discs in the rear, which will be another serious upgrade if I find the time to race next season.

I still don't know how to take the cranks off the bottom bracket... it has a weird hollow Shimano one that my ISIS puller doesn't fit. I think its the earlier version of Shimano Hollowtech.

IMO if you can snag it for a good deal, and it's not too beat-up, do it. Otherwise buy newer, even something used but newer. I cannot guess a value unless you know which model it is or components it has.
    if it ain't broke you ain't ridin' hard enough
    http://www.outdoorsclub.ca - I'm the webmaster and I help run trips!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I assume it is a basic version
    Shimano XTR and Deore XT components, Rock Shox Judy SL fork.
    What's your opinion?
    What do you think is a fair price?
    Thanks
    skramer

dreaming of bottlerockets
    How much is it worth to you?

I wouldn't pay more than $1000 - especially since it's two years older now. $900 if in amazing shape. You won't really get a lighter bike for cheaper, so factor that into your decision.

And it really depends on how much use and abuse the bike took. Check the frame for cracks if it was ridden heavily.
    if it ain't broke you ain't ridin' hard enough
    http://www.outdoorsclub.ca - I'm the webmaster and I help run trips!

mtbr member
    I'm no expert but I don't think that either the 01 or 02 Zaskars came with a Judy fork. Both versions of the 01, the Team and Race, came with a Sid. What color is it? Can you post the serial number?

The new Zaskar with nice components goes for $1200. If you are patient you can get it from Performance for 20% off. How much do you think the old one is worth compared to that.