Thread: 2000 Zaskar

mtbr member

2000 Zaskar

Hey guys. I just bought a 2000 Zaskar frame that looks exactly like this one.

Can someone help me identify what size seatpost I will need? I had a 26.8mm post laying around that almost fit. So I think it has to be 27mm or 27.2mm. Also, the frame did not have a seatpost binder. Does anyone know where I can buy one that fits this frame? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    The frame is actually a 2001 Zaskar Race. The seatpost size will be 27.2mm diameter and you will need something between 300mm - 400mm in length depending on your fit to frame. Your local LBS should carry one instock as that was one of the most common diameter posts used on MTB. There are also tons of them available on the "bay" if you have time to wait for shipping. the stock seatpost was made by Syncros. at least that is what was spec'd with mine when I bought it.
    2001 GT I-Drive Team
    2001 GT I-Drive Race
    2009 GT Marathon Carbon Expert
    2009 GT Force 2.0

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    i have bought an identical frame to this everything seems legit on it i.e. original paint and the decals do not seem to be reproductions as the scratches and nicks seem to be in line with a 10 year old bike.
    My only question is on the rounded end cap on the top tube.
    So far i have looked at pics on an Aussie site (bikes move us) this post and one other remark that 2000 zaskar race (taiwan built) here on MTBR by Kint that the end cap was rounded.
    Regardless i will be building and enjoying this bike .
    Just putting this up for discussion on a cold wet March day

mtbr member
    mudlake - I'm a little confused as to what the question is. Are you talking about the pieces on the toptube for the brakes and gear shifter?

Since my last post, I've since stripped all the paint off my Zaskar and putting all my old parts from my GT Sensor on it. It's a long ways from being completed.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    sorry about the confusion ,the end cap that has gt stamped on it (at the same end as the seat) the consensus is that this thing should be flat not curved the way mine is

mtbr member
    Oh... I just checked. Mine is curved.

Sneaker man
    i think the flat cap zaskars ended when they stopped making them in the US... or sumething, GM to thread...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Capes64
    The frame is actually a 2001 Zaskar Race. The seatpost size will be 27.2mm diameter and you will need something between 300mm - 400mm in length depending on your fit to frame. Your local LBS should carry one instock as that was one of the most common diameter posts used on MTB. There are also tons of them available on the "bay" if you have time to wait for shipping. the stock seatpost was made by Syncros. at least that is what was spec'd with mine when I bought it.
    Pretty sure that's a 2000 zaskar... I've had one i bought new. it came with the bomber x-fly qr20 (had the 20mm from axle). the 2001 came with a sid, i thought. Also, the seat post clamp is integral to the frame. so if it's missing, it must have broke off or been cut off. i can take some pic if you need them.
    2009 kona hei hei 2-9deluxe
    2000 gt zaskar
    1997 gt zaskar

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mik_git
    i think the flat cap zaskars ended when they stopped making them in the US... or sumething, GM to thread...
    Yes that was the first Taiwan built Zaskar. In 2000 only the Zaskar X and Zaskar LE were built in the US. CT19 if you read the labels closely it will have an Easton label that says the tubing is US made and another label on it somewhere that says something like designed in the USA. Bottom line is the frame was welded in Taiwan.
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

I dont think that is correct

Quote Originally Posted by gm1230126
    Yes that was the first Taiwan built Zaskar. In 2000 only the Zaskar X and Zaskar LE were built in the US. CT19 if you read the labels closely it will have an Easton label that says the tubing is US made and another label on it somewhere that says something like designed in the USA. Bottom line is the frame was welded in Taiwan.
    That is the 2000 Zascar with Road Runner colors. I purchased my 2000 Zaskar with non-burnished aluminum and blue trim from my local shop (only other color scheme availble). I was in school riding an older GT and let the guy know I was looking for a deal. He got me that Zaskar for about 1/2 price, probably because of the problems or the pending manfacturer shift. But my 2000 Zascar has the Made in California USA Sticker, and Easton 7005 stamp. I'm pretty sure it wasnt an LE, becuase it seems to spec exactly from bikepedia -

http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...skar&Type=bike

So I think they at least made some 2000 Zascar's in the US.

The bike is still all original but the tires, replacement XTR rear derailluer (smashed original on a rock or stump), and probably the pedals becuase I cant remember if it came w/any or not. I rode it pretty hard (for my skill level) for 5 or 6 years.

I am just getting back into riding on a KHS Flagstaff 29r. But I tore down the Zaskar this weekend to either sell or rebuild. I can post pics when I get home if anyone is interested.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mudlake
    2000 zaskar race (taiwan built)
    See post below - the bike picutured is a 2000 Zaskar. Not a Race. I can't find that they even made a Race model in 2000. They made an X which was all black, but the next Race model appears to be 2001.