mtbr member
    Jul 2010

1999 GT Saddleback vs 2011 Specialized Hardrock

My last mountain bike was a 1999 GT Saddleback. While I don't have it now, my brother has it and it still works perfectly. Never had a tune up and has all the original parts.

I know that was an entry level bike.

How does it compare to a 2011 entry level bike such as a Specialized hardrock?

I know the GT had a steel frame which probably makes it heavier.

The main think I want to know is how does the GT's suspension compare to the Specialized (travel, quality, rebound, stiffness)?

Gt had a Sync 515 suspension.
    The Specialized HR has a SR Suntour SF8-XCT-V2, 80mm.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I still have my 99 Saddleback. It came with a Suntour mg8020, not the sync 515. It didn't have any adjustments - no preload, lockout, or rebound. It looks like that Spesh does have lockout and preload, but no rebound.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by desolder
    I still have my 99 Saddleback. It came with a Suntour mg8020, not the sync 515. It didn't have any adjustments - no preload, lockout, or rebound. It looks like that Spesh does have lockout and preload, but no rebound.

Is your this color

http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...back&Type=bike

or white/blue

Is this the only bike you ride?

If no, then how does the GT compare to the other bike?

I don't know for sure if my bike had a Suntour or a Sync because it is in my brothers possession now but I just went off bikepedia info.

I never had a problem with my Saddleback. Still all the same parts

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Looks like I have the 2000 Saddleback, not the 1999. Mine is red, white, and black, just like in the photo you linked.

I have a full suspension bike that I normally use for riding, but I do enjoy breaking out the old Saddleback for a change of pace once in a while. I also use my Saddleback around town, it's less likely to get stolen.

I upgraded the freewheel to a 14-34 "Megarange", and the crankset to a 22-32-44 Deore. This gives it a low ratio equal to the newer 9-speed bikes (34rear+22front). The stock low ratio (28rear+28front) doesn't go low enough for me on the really steep climbs.

Comparing it stock vs stock to the Hardrock, the spesh will probably be lighter since it's aluminum and the components are probably better since it's 11 years newer.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Thanks desolder for you help.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I have a 2000 saddleback that I used for college and bring it out on occasion. One thing I have noticed is how much more I can feel the weight of it while riding. I have a cannondale rush that I ride mostly now and it just feels easier to ride compared to my GT. It could be the old tires and everything that came stock on the bike since it's 100% like I bought it in 2001.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I think my 1999 GT Saddleback road very well and although it was heavy, I never felt like it was noticably heavy imho. I have tested about 12 different bikes for my next purchase. They all felt great and I am sure are lighter than my GT BUT I didn't feel like they were lighter.