mtbr member
    May 2013

1999 GT i-Drive XCR 2000

Hi everyone,

I've recently purchase a new (to me) 1999 GT i-Drive XCR 2000. The bike itself is in immaculate condition as it's only been rode a handful of times and has always been stored safe n' dry!

I just wanted to ask whether or not you knowledgeable GT people have any advice for me? I'm unfamiliar with the bike and GT in general, so before it arrives I figured I'd best learn as much as it as possible

Fire away!

mtbr member
    hi Skelton, awesome find. I am also looking for this exact same bike. i love the frame and idrive. just wondering, is yours the lime green frame, if so, do you know if it has any rear disc brake mounts? I've got all my info from the i-drive thread. a lot of awesome info. just watch out for any cracks around the seat mast area.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    As jc1 stated, that's the biggest known issue. Make sure that your seatpost, once you set it to your correct height, that there is still at least 1 in. showing below the seat tube. They are great bikes, I had a 2000,2001, and a 2004 with that suspension type and it is smooth and tracks very well on loose rocky trails. I've posted some maintenance stuff in here somewhere when you're ready to do some maintenance. Ask as many questions as you'd like. This is a great forum. If you are on Facebook, there's a page called "GT bicycle fans club" that is pretty awesome.
    2009 GT Marathon Team,GT Force 2.0, GT Jelly Belly TT (nude carbon), and a very special Todd Wells Zaskar.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jc1surf View Post
    hi Skelton, awesome find. I am also looking for this exact same bike. i love the frame and idrive. just wondering, is yours the lime green frame, if so, do you know if it has any rear disc brake mounts? I've got all my info from the i-drive thread. a lot of awesome info. just watch out for any cracks around the seat mast area.
    Hey buddy,

Yeah, it arrived a few days ago, done a lil' work on it (cleaning, de-greasing, etc). Haven't had a chance to ride it yet as I need a slightly longer seat post and to replace the Shimano DX clippies with flats.

I found a nice bare Alu frame with red / white / blue decals and red swing-arm, looks really nice - almost as great as the lime! I'll post pics asap.

There as no rare disc brake mounts, although this can be remedied with one of those A2Z adaptors.

Yeah, I've heard about the seat tube problem, is it a problem with every frame, or just a select few with manufacturing faults?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Hi,

Yeah, I've been hanging around here a lot lately - lurking - trying to swat up on my GT knowledge. You seem like a good bunch!

Any tips on the eccentric i-Drive, maintenance wise?

Also, I currently have a set of Rockshox Judy 100 'Hyracoil' forks, any thoughts on these? Are they worth keeping for now, at least until I run them into the ground? They're very soft at the moment, any idea whether or not I adjust the preload / rebound etc?

Cheers,

Kev

rubber side down
    I've had great luck with my Hydracoils, riding them on my i-drive 1000. Low maintenance, smooth....ride 'em! and post pics on the bike!

mtbr member
    nice find skelton, i've searching so long for just the frame. no luck so far. but found whole bikes, that'll ill eventually have to strip down to bare frame.

yea i read up on those adapters but might just try to get one that has disc tabs on already.
    I think I read somewhere in this thread, after a certain year, im not too sure, that GT has fixed the problem. not too sure though. but as gt jorgito said about the seat post, that's prob very crucial.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by TAOS1 View Post
    I've had great luck with my Hydracoils, riding them on my i-drive 1000. Low maintenance, smooth....ride 'em! and post pics on the bike!
    Sweet, great news! Any idea how to adjust 'em? Mine have knobs atop each side of the crown, standard, I know. BUT, problem is, they ain't labelled... mine have two red anodized knobs with philips tops, all I can find online is Hydracoils with black ones. Confused!

Also, somewhat unrelated, but curious... can anyone shed any light on the serial # : AN80804114

Cheers,

Kev

rubber side down

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Ah, nice one, TAO. That'll come in handy, gonna have a fiddle in a sec. Just took the iDrive out for a quick ride around the block and lane, feels real good, racey!

rubber side down
    Quote Originally Posted by Skelton View Post
    gonna have a fiddle in a sec.

Where you from Skelton?

mtbr member
    TAO, thanks for the links. priceless info. it'll come in handy soon for myself too. i think the 4.0 might come that same fork.

Skelton, how was that first spin? what rear shock did it come with?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Came with a Fox Vanilla Air Float 'R', a little too soft for me, picking up a shock pump on payday to sort that out.

Her maiden voyage was a success, felt sooo good. I'm used to riding bulky, pedal-bob ridden lead-sled type DH rigs, this thing just blew my socks off. Light, fast, responsive, and once I hit the hill, climbed (?) like a pure-bred! Very impressed, you won't be disappointed, Surf

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by TAOS1 View Post

Where you from Skelton?
    Oh, the UK, haha. Sorry, if that sounded a bit rude lol

mtbr member
    oohhh that's awesome skelton. its sooo tempting to just grab the one thats online now.
    ya about the climb, pure-bred that awesome. did you feel any bob while climbing?

just an idea, but has anyone ever purchase a idrive frame, did a powdercoat, added some decals, and then built it? just curious how would that turn out with the powdercoat and decals. thanks

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I also have an XCR 2000, the yellow/white one and have been riding it for the last two years. I'm in the process of changing the v-brakes to disc brakes, since the frame and fork have the disc tabs and the bike came with Avid SD brake levers. I'm looking at buying Avid BB7s to match. Does anyone know what type of wheels/hubs I need? Looking around, they are various sizes (15mm front, etc..) (135/142mm rear, QR, etc...) I want to ensure I get the correct wheels/hubs, as there are deals to be had right now. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by RallyPunx View Post
    I also have an XCR 2000, the yellow/white one and have been riding it for the last two years. I'm in the process of changing the v-brakes to disc brakes, since the frame and fork have the disc tabs and the bike came with Avid SD brake levers. I'm looking at buying Avid BB7s to match. Does anyone know what type of wheels/hubs I need? Looking around, they are various sizes (15mm front, etc..) (135/142mm rear, QR, etc...) I want to ensure I get the correct wheels/hubs, as there are deals to be had right now. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks,
    Hi, if your bike still have the stock fork, you will need front 9mm QR hub and rear 135x10mm QR hub.

You might also want to check first if your hubs already have rotor mounting tabs, as many of the higher-end XCR (3000 and better) came with disc compatible hubs.

Also, for i-drive and LTS service manual, check out these I just made from original GT documents : GT Bicycles | Manuals and tech documents
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    Hi, if your bike still have the stock fork, you will need front 9mm QR hub and rear 135x10mm QR hub.

You might also want to check first if your hubs already have rotor mounting tabs, as many of the higher-end XCR (3000 and better) came with disc compatible hubs.

Also, for i-drive and LTS service manual, check out these I just made from original GT documents : GT Bicycles | Manuals and tech documents
    As far as I know, the fork is OEM. It is the RockShox SID 100. I checked the XT hubs and they don't have the rotor mounting tabs. Thanks for the service manuals, they will be super handy. Here are some pics of the fork:
    1999 GT i-Drive XCR 2000-front-1.jpg1999 GT i-Drive XCR 2000-front-3.jpg

Huckin' trails

1999 GT i-Drive XCR 2000

Well you're in for a new set of wheels. Unless you want to switch to a 15mm axle fork, you'll have to stick with 9mm QR front and 10x135mm QR rear.
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I hate to hijack the thread, but does anyone know how to find out what size frame I have? I looked all over the frame and did not see any obvious size reference, but there is what appeared to be a serial number at the bottom of the BB on the frame. Is there a secret GT decoder to tell the size from that number?

Huckin' trails

1999 GT i-Drive XCR 2000

Quote Originally Posted by RallyPunx View Post
    I hate to hijack the thread, but does anyone know how to find out what size frame I have? I looked all over the frame and did not see any obvious size reference, but there is what appeared to be a serial number at the bottom of the BB on the frame. Is there a secret GT decoder to tell the size from that number?
    Go to my site, at http://gt.chavecadesign.com, and download the service manual. In the first pages, you'll have a chart about frame sizing for these bikes, by measuring the top tube length.

You're welcome