mtbr member
    Jan 2004

1997 sts-1 org. parts?

picked up such model & need to know if the skewers pictured are the correct ones.also are Titec bars + AC seatpost oem? according to bikepedia they are not.thanks in advance. BikePedia - 1997 GT STS-1 Complete Bicycle they are not always correct-no listing for the LTS team model.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1997 sts-1 org. parts?-gt-sts-1-skewers.jpg  

1997 sts-1 org. parts?-gt-sts-1-xtr.jpg  

GT LTS Hoarder
    I'm not sure on the skewers because mine's not exactly 100% stock either. They don't look like it though. I had set of skewers that looked exactly like those except purple anodized instead...

I can vouch that the STS-1 came with a black Kore elite stem with removable faceplate and some slick Kore thermoplastic flat bars. The seatpost would probably also be a Kore item, but mine's not there anymore. I will post a pic if I get a chance later.

GT LTS Hoarder
    pwoor...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1997 sts-1 org. parts?-p1012064.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Those skewers were GT OE items, they were called "Kiwi" skewers IIRC.
    I know they came on the high-end RTS bikes and probably Zaskars as well around 93-95.
    Not sure if they were still around when the STS came out.
    My 96 LTS has Kore skewers for example.
    I wonder if the previous owner of your bike swapped parts from an RTS over to the STS at some point?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

sts-1 parts?

skewer pics are from a gt w/cnc high end as they were called hubs/since the sts-1 used the same hubs I thought maybe the skewers were the same/mine came w/salsa type so hoping to put it back to org..also mine has a silver not black Kore elite stem w/titec ti bars.bought it from the org. owner who I don't think changed those out but guess anything is possible.it has a AC seatpost so I'm sure that was swapped.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    From the 1997 catalog for the STS-1:

Fork = Judy SL
    Rims = Mavic M-217
    Tires = Michelin Wildgripper Lite-S (2.1)
    Hubs = "GT Super High End" CNC
    Pedals = Shimano M-747
    Drivetrain = XTR 8-spd (11-30T)
    Bars = "Thermoplastic"
    Bar ends = Cut Weld, Ski
    Stem= Kore Elite front loading
    Headset = DiaCompe Kontak
    Saddle = WTB SST leather with Kevlar corners, Ti rails
    Seatpost = Kore Elite Post II
    Brakes = XTR V's

No specs on the skewers and there's only one pic from the right side so you can't see them. Also, in the pic the seatpost has a GT logo on the side, doesn't look like a Kore to me.

GT LTS Hoarder

Silver head tube?

Does your bike have the silver head tube?

Maybe the silver Kore elite stem came with your bike is OEM... Sometime that year, GT made some STS's with the aluminum head tube junctions but then switched to black head tube junctions (themo?). Both of my STS's have the black head tube so that may be why I have a black one, but if yours is silver, it may have came with the silver stem.

GT liked to use all their in-house Kore stuff on their mid-high end bikes. I still have a really old magazine bike review that I will see if I can scan and maybe lend some more info. I wouldn't take it for factual because I would venture to guess that press bikes are not really representative of what goes out to the general population...

I got a chuckle out of the description of the hubs... "GT Super High End". Good stuff there, I bet the marketing department stayed up all night thinking up that one...

I'm just joking of course, in all fairness, the GT catalogs were probably finalized prior to the final spec of the bikes were established, so something had to be put there to fill in the blanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

1997 headtube lug/

is alloy in silver so its possible they used the silver stem? serial# 029705936 .if you see any thermoplastic bars around I maybe interested.don't think they would put titec bars from new......thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by '02 NRS View Post
    .don't think they would put titec bars from new......thanks.
    Yeah, GT used Titec Ti bars as OE, at least in '96.
    That was one of the reasons I suggested someone swapped the parts onto this frame.
    Maybe they warrantied a broken LTS and GT upgraded them to an STS. They were known to do that sort of thing back in those days.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

sts-1 parts?

hey thanks for the insight.2 less parts needed to change.hows bout the AC seatpost? think that must have been changed over the years.

GT LTS Hoarder
    Posted from Mountain Biker mag, May 1997.
    Hopefully it's legible enough that you guys can read it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1997 sts-1 org. parts?-10-12-2012-08%3B31%3B41pm.jpg  

1997 sts-1 org. parts?-10-12-2012-08%3B32%3B21pm.jpg  

1997 sts-1 org. parts?-10-12-2012-08%3B33%3B01pm.jpg  

1997 sts-1 org. parts?-10-12-2012-08%3B33%3B31pm.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

skewers/

thanks for the scans-skewers appear to be same as this set on fleaBay/ 2 sets left.....KORE RACE MOUNTAIN BIKE QUICK RELEASE WHEEL SKEWERS SET | eBay