mtbr member
    May 2008

1997 GT LTS-1 question

Hello,

I am new to Mountain Biking. I used to have a Haro Master, a GT Pro Performer and a GT Agressor freestyle bikes when I was MUCH younger but now I am older, wiser and with kids. Being on a family budget I am unable to plop down $1,500 for a new bike. SO, I found a 97 GT LTS-1 for $350 which in my opinion is in really great shape. I've replaced the tubes and just bought new chain rings for the front Shimano Deore LX crank. It was missing more teeth than a homeless person. It's a full suspension so I have some questions to determine if things are in good working order. First, the front shock. I can't find out what it is, I don't think it's the Judy XL I've seen people talking about. It's red, with yellow letters TSIX and "Titanium Springs" writing across it. It seems to be in good shape, not too much give when I sit on it, but what do I know. Since it's older, my guess is it would just be air and there isn't much I can do to it if it goes south. Second, the rear shock inside the outer spring is a Rock Shox Deluxe shock......any maintenance, oil, air needed here? Outside of the crank chainrings, the bike seems to be pretty spot on. If I were to want to change the front shock, how do I know what it can be replaced with? I've searched but couldn't really find anyone with any pages on this bike as to what they did to it to upgrade/change it. Any links to anyone would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Shane

adult onset ADHD
    I used to ride GTs back in that day, I liked them a lot.
    YouR bike is one that I test rode but never bought.
    You should fix it up a bit and do the repairs, ride it and see if it needs anything more. Everything might just work out very well for what you are doing. I would say that you should not put more that $200 into it, for 750 you can get a new bike.
    Last edited by Nor'Easter; 05-21-2008 at 12:46 PM.
    Respect your local Woodland Spirits

WNY Mountain Biking Assoc.

GT LTS Hoarder
    I agree with Nor'Easter. Just fix it up good enough to take it for a couple of rides to assess it's condition. The difficulties in having an older FS bike is always parts availabilty. So if it turns out your bike needs new travel chips, bushings, bearings, shocks, etc, you may not be able to find parts. For the LTS, the parts are still available thru some other avenues (not from GT though), but they aren't cheap. If it's a good 'un, you'll know it very quickly and if not, you can explore other alternatives.

There's not much to the rear shock. Its a coil over oil jobbie, no air needed. I think the LTS-1 has upper end shock with adjustments for preload rebound and damping. However, If they die, they die. They may not even be rebuildable. I've heard negative things about them, but I've never had problems with them.

I've never heard of a TSIX fork. ManiTou SIX maybe?
    If you replace the front fork, just remember 80mm was "long travel" back in those days. I would select a fork with anywhere from 80mm to 100mm of travel just to keep the geometry similar to what it previously was.

I like digging up older forks for my GT's so they fit in with the era but I do have a daily runner LTS that is running a Rock shox dart 2...80mm. Cheap, I know, but it'll do the job until I pick up something sportier.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks, sounds like a good start. The guy at the LBS was impressed I found the bike in such good shape. Since most of the parts seem to be the same as bikes today, I figure if I want to buy a new frame and shock in the future, I can just transfer everything unless I wanted to go to disc brakes which would seem to require new brakes and everthing that goes with it.