mtbr member
    Jul 2004

1995-ish internal clamp stem – who made it?

Does anyone know who made this stem? I sometime see these on some old GTs – so I’m guessing it has something to do with how GT used to spec their bike? Functionally, it looks the same as Thomson Elite stem. It came off of 95 GT if that makes any difference.

It’s a 120mm internally clamping stem. Front face plate is clamped with an odd ¼ inch Allen key bolts. I’m guessing some type of aluminum, painted bronze at top, gradually changing to black at bottom. No serial number or any kind of marking whatsoever. It has just about 5 degree rise (guess) and for 1 1/8 inch steer tube.

Also, why internally clamping mechanism? How is that better than traditional clamp - or is it? I noticed that the top cap that came with this thing was plastic – odd. It's a little heavier than others so I'm not sure if it has any functional/weight advantage over other more traditional stems. Sure pretty though

Any inputs are appreciated!

mtbr member
    syncros? just a guess!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I was thinking the same, as GT apparently owned the company. I image-googled syncros but none exact. If Syncros patented that internal clamp then I can be faily sure but no marking kinda makes me doubt. Thomson did the similar configuration, so that could be the case - or can be a total kock offs too...

mtbr member
    The one GT spec'd on there bikes was made by Kalloy or HL (Hsin Lung) in Taiwan.
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Thanks for the info. Information on generic parts are almost impossible to find. Appreciate your knowledge.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Now that you mentioned Kalloy, I was able to locate a picture of the exact same stem in retrobike web site. Tranz-X made by JD Company in Taiwan, most likely. Thanks again.

mtbr member
    They all... Kalloy(Uno) , Hsin Lung(Zoom), JD (Tranz-X), Tahoma and others had stems that were similar. I was traveling the Taipei show back then and you saw similar designs at almost every booth. Possibly JD. Is there any stamping on the inside of the stem clamp that might help?
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

Sneaker man
    the tioga stem on my 94 diamondback axis has a similar steerer clamp

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Grrr, just when I thought I trrakced it down...

No stamping or marking whatsoever. I cleaned its guts out. It is not CNC'ed - I'm fairly confident it's a forged aluminum. Either way, the design is no longer popular and there are posts how the Thomsoo stem "slip" its way up, I'm leaning toward the opinion of less functional design. So I rest my case. Thanks for your help everyone!