mtbr member
    Sep 2008

1994 Tequesta BB problem

I am trying to rebuild my old mountain bike from childhood. Its my first rebuild project. I have a crank puller but it will not pull the crank off my GT. Has anyone encountered something like this??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisgiantrider
    I am trying to rebuild my old mountain bike from childhood. Its my first rebuild project. I have a crank puller but it will not pull the crank off my GT. Has anyone encountered something like this??
    Interestingly enough, I am rebuilding a Karakoram and my crank puller won't thread into the crank arms. It could be its just a cheap crank puller [performance bikes brand] or something else??? What exactly isnt' working for you?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Let me preface this by saying its my first time using one of these tools, however the center of the crank puller is circular and there is a square hole inside of the crank once I remove the tightening bolt on the outside. Are there crankpullers where the internal driver is square and not round.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisgiantrider
    Let me preface this by saying its my first time using one of these tools, however the center of the crank puller is circular and there is a square hole inside of the crank once I remove the tightening bolt on the outside. Are there crankpullers where the internal driver is square and not round.
    I will leave it to the experts, hopefully you'll get some guidance from a bike technician here!

R.

Slowly but surely...
    Not sure if you are trying to pull the crank off or already have the crank off and are trying to pull the BB out. To pull the cranks, thread the exterior part of the puller to the crank as far as you can (being careful not to strip it), then turn the inner part clockwise till it pushed the crank off. It does not matter that the inner part has a round head that pushes against the square spindle. This is standard. The head of the inner pin just has to be bigger then the hole your retaining bolt was in and smaller then the square hole.

If you have the crank arm off, you will need a different tool for pulling the BB.

Good luck
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash.
    - Juli Furtado

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Crank & BB brute removal

Like he said. Make sure the puller is snugly threaded into the crank. As you rotate the puller handle, the puller spindle will push the square BB spindle thus pulling the crank out.

Now, my crank that came with the frame was TOTALLY shot, that I had to:
    1) take the non-drive side crank off,
    2) non-drive side BB cup off (with the BB cup remover - http://www.parktool.com/products/det...5&item=BBT-22),
    3) then without bothering the drive side crank, remove drive side BB cup with a low tech plumber's wrench (?).

BB then comes off! Of course, both cranks and BB are shot. Oh well. I hope you don't have to go there.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    i had a hell of a time getting mine off because they were so old and yukky. this site really helped me a lot, the tutorials are awesome:

http://bicycletutor.com/replace-cotterless-cranks/