Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member

1994 GT Karakoram - SS Build-Up

Because of my propensity to upgrade bits and pieces on my 2005 GT Aggressor, I almost had enough spare parts to build another bike.

I decided I wanted to try and build a single speed mountain bike to play around with. After putting out a want-to-buy ad on a local MTB forum, I ended up buying this:

I posted up a thread here on MTBR to try and find out the year and model. Not only did I get an answer to both, it turns out I found the original owner (gt jorgito). How cool is that?

I removed all of the stickers and cleaned up the frame a bit. Not much to do as the paint is still in very good shape.

1994 GT Karakoram - SS Build-Up-img_8540.jpg

I own a few 2000'ish RockShox SID forks and really like them. They're a good match for my terrain, weight, and riding ability. I tore down a 2002 SID SL, repainted the lowers, and replaced the bushings. The CSU is from a 2004 SID Team with the 'slippery silver' stanchions. I thought that would be a better match for how I plan to build it up.

1994 GT Karakoram - SS Build-Up-img_8630-001.jpg

I have a few stems and I'm not sure which length to put on there. Also, I'll need to cut down the steerer or add some more spacers above the stem.

I already have a wheelset, cranks, tires, pedals and brake set. I filled in the gaps by buying a SS chainring, cog, and an 8 speed chain.

More to come...
    Contact information: http://about.me/marpilli

REALLY?
    Full build pics please...

DJ, "Because I'm sure the world need's more dudes stalking the woods stoned out of their mind carrying a deadly weapon."

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    That thing is looking good. If you are interested I still have a set of the all GT Terra decals. and possibly the small triple GT triangle decals too. No Karakoram decals though.
    2009 GT Marathon Team,GT Force 2.0, GT Jelly Belly TT (nude carbon), and a very special Todd Wells Zaskar.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgothro View Post
    Full build pics please...

Oh, don't worry. The teasing won't last too long. I'll try to devote some more blocks of time to it over the next week and try to get it done. I have a creative idea on how to make a custom head badge for it, also. That may add a few days...

Quote Originally Posted by gt jorgito View Post
    That thing is looking good. If you are interested I still have a set of the all GT Terra decals. and possibly the small triple GT triangle decals too. No
    Karakoram decals though.
    Thank you for the offer. For now I think I'll leave it without decals. I do have a GT top cap I'll put on it. It's kind of obvious it's a GT, anyway. I went back and forth on the SID decals, also. But, I really wanted a splash of white on the fork so the fork decals were applied.

mtbr member
    I mounted some 2Bliss tires on my wheelset and I'm trying to get them to set using Slime. One seems to be holding up, the other not so much. If I can't get it to work, I have my old UST tires (the UST are wider and heavier) I'll mount on there.

I also put on my LX crankset and the Surley 32t chainring. The bottom bracket is 73mm and I'm using a hollowtech bottom bracket. I put the spacer on the non-drive side so I could move the chainline in a little bit since I put the 32t on the outside of the crank arm spider.

1994 GT Karakoram - SS Build-Up-img_8644.jpg

1994 GT Karakoram - SS Build-Up-img_8645.jpg

1994 GT Karakoram - SS Build-Up-img_8646.jpg

Tomorrow, time permitting, I'll tinker with the tires some more and go buy some headset spacers.

mtbr member
    Wish you woulda told me that you needed headset spacers marpilli, coulda thrown a handful in with the tensioner!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS View Post
    Wish you woulda told me that you needed headset spacers marpilli, coulda thrown a handful in with the tensioner!
    Thanks. I wish I would have known I was going to need them.

Nice day for a ride.....
    Looking sweet, can't wait to see the finished product.

REALLY?
    I think I might get bored and put my carbon RS judy on my Richter (was going to do it anyway...procrastinating)

Hey Mar - the GT is sick, stared at for like two minuts (or as long as my little A.D.D short attentioned spanned ass could handle lol) , loving the Sids, cant wait to see it completed.
    DJ, "Because I'm sure the world need's more dudes stalking the woods stoned out of their mind carrying a deadly weapon."

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Very nice work ! is the frame with 1" headset ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nick6sic6 View Post
    Very nice work ! is the frame with 1" headset ?
    Thank you for the compliment. The frame actually takes a 1-1/8" headset. Once I found out it would, that pretty much sealed the deal as all of my spare forks are 1-1/8" steerers.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    keep the pics comming!

L.R.

mtbr member
    OK, I have a semi-related question for you all. I'm going to create a custom head badge for this bike and I'd like to create a "how-to" thread for the process. Where would be the best forum to post it up?

The only two I can really think of is the frame building forum and the general forum. It's not really frame-building, but I'm sure some frame builder might be interested in the information.

I'm really hesitant to post it in the general forum and I'm not sure why...

Can you suggest a more applicable forum for the topic?

EDIT: Maybe I'll just put it in this thread...

mtbr member
    I'd want that to be in the frame building forum. I made one too (haven't put it on a bik yet) and if you post up a thread like "Show Us Your Homemade Headtube Badges", I'd definitely contribute some pictures and advice.

mtbr member
    Frame builders (by definition) are DIY people. I did search the forums and there were a couple of older DIY head badge threads (using a different method than I plan to use) and they were posted in the General forum. Decisions, decisions...

mtbr member
    Closer...

1994 GT Karakoram - SS Build-Up-img_1821.jpg

Nice day for a ride.....
    The bike is gonna look sick with the white colour scheme. When you make a thread about the headtube badge be sure to post a link in this thread, I'd love to check it out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    very cool!

mtbr member
    I thought you'd be going with disc brakes, love those bars

mtbr member
    Thanks all. I don't have a spare set of disc brakes and wheels right now. I'm really trying not to pour any money into the build if I can help it. So far, the only things I really needed to buy were drivetrain related. Trust me, though. I'll be keeping my eyes open for a good deal on both disc brakes and a disc wheelset.

EDIT: sasquatch, thanks for the suggestion of white bars/black stem. I like that much better than the black bars/white stem I originally planned. I dropped the stupid bars in the garage and they fell behind my toolchest. Already have a few scratches in the paint. But, you know what that means? Won't bother me a bit the first time I crash it and scratch them more.
    Last edited by marpilli; 04-17-2012 at 07:26 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Darn it! Ur making me wish I had kept that Kara. Hahaha! I have too many projects going on. I still gotta put together my Ruckus 7 and my Todd Wells hardtail and I just sent some Force pieces to my powder coating buddy. Im glad ur making that frame look great.
    2009 GT Marathon Team,GT Force 2.0, GT Jelly Belly TT (nude carbon), and a very special Todd Wells Zaskar.

mtbr member
    ^^^ Ha, I told you that frame ended up in a loving home.

mtbr member

Adding Cable Guides

I'd like to run full cable housing to the rear brake. The rear cable stop in this groove tube is there, but the front cable stop has broken off at some point. I took a piece of cable housing with me to work and I intended to go by the hardware store and find some steel tubing I could cut into small guide pieces.

I laid the cable housing on my desk and went about my daily routine. I then lay an ink pen down by the cable housing and I had an "ah ha!" moment...

1994 GT Karakoram - SS Build-Up-img_8650.jpg

It turns out that the pen is slightly larger than the cable housing.

1994 GT Karakoram - SS Build-Up-img_8651.jpg

Cut it into pieces...

1994 GT Karakoram - SS Build-Up-img_8653.jpg

I roughed up the outside of the pieces and I used a fairly liberal amount of glue. All clamped in place...

1994 GT Karakoram - SS Build-Up-img_8658.jpg

1994 GT Karakoram - SS Build-Up-img_8664-001.jpg

The E-6000 is some pretty cool stuff. It will bond a lot of different types of material together and it dries to a hard rubber-cement like consistency. This should be fairly easy to reverse if I ever need to dismantle it and strong enough to keep the cable in place. Worst case scenario is I throw a zip tie around it until I can get some steel tubing and use the JB-Weld instead.
    Last edited by marpilli; 04-18-2012 at 08:32 PM.

I like bikes
    Clever. I like it .

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Nicely done!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast