mtbr member
    Jul 2004

1993 GT Zaskar – 16” Purple

This forum has been pretty dull these days without GM… So I gota do my part

A while back, I spotted a Denver CL listing for “ALL GT TERRA ZASKAR” with a couple of crappy pictures:

Couldn’t see very well but it was definitely a purple anodized GT, so I figured it couldn’t be a fake. The seller was asking for $400. Judging from the flat front tire and funny angle bar ends, I figured it had not been ridden for a while. Obviously neglected and needed to be saved. I told the seller that I’ll pay $250 for it as long as it was not damaged. Several days later, she emailed me back with $300 counter offer. I said $250 firm. Pretty obvious it’s her ex’s bike she wants to get rid of. Picked it up thinking “hmmm, not a bad condition” dragging the bike to my car (front Specialized hub was destructed but she didn’t even notice). Steel AMP Link fork is a nifty oldie if I’m into that kind of thing – but I have no plan of using it.

Turned out it is a 93 purple ano (faded, judging from color differences under covered area) 16 inch frame. A whole bunch of mismatched parts collection – XT drive train, LX cranks and STX brakes with also mismatched Mavic rims. Several weeks gone by, got really busy at work. Took everything off and cleaned it all up piece by piece on weekends.

This weekend, the Misses gone to Vegas, leaving me and kids home. Best time to build it up for a show and tell! So I gather matching parts I had acquired over the period and fresh cables and get to work. An hour later while kids play Wii, my first (almost) real retro build is done! Except the tires, all parts are from 95-ish era.

Judy XC with metal skewers with MCU stacks still in a good shape. Overhauled its damper in Feb, so it’s nice and cushy. Yellow lowers match GT decals I think. Well kind of.

I give it a full XT treat. Shifters are fully rebuilt, so they click with precision. All XT pasts are polished and lubed for their perfect functionalities. Don’t they look nice? Even the canti brakes look nice. I was reminded the fact that setting up canti required more patience than V. Also give Mavic 217 SUP Gold Rim with freshly repacked XT hubs, good old days – I don’t see these kind of wheels any more. They are pretty damn light too.

The only decals that were in a good shape were these made in USA ones. But everything else were meant to be replaced back in the days, I suppose. I made “zaskar” and “all terra” decals just like I did for my other Zaskar, but didn’t have time to put them on before the Misses left town.

A family portraits. Also 93 Zaskar – but it is a single speed. It rides like it was meant to be an SS! I can’t get enough of it.

Hope you guys enjoyed it And yes the seat post is 27.0 mm.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Nice!

(Another reminder that my collection needs a Zaskar.)

mtbr member
    Wow, I dig it! That is a great score!

My local CL doesn't provide nice rides like that. Nice looking build too, PM me if you'd like to sell it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Nice ride! One heckuva catch on that anoed Zaskar.
    2009 GT Marathon Team,GT Force 2.0, GT Jelly Belly TT (nude carbon), and a very special Todd Wells Zaskar.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Hey thanks, I got lucky with this one, as I don’t go there too often but I happened to stop by when I saw it was staring at me from CL web site with sad flattened tires and stuck up bar ends Had to save it, you know. It was a real nice day today, so I trotted off to photo ops. Gotta have some (really dry) dirt.

With this build, it weighs 23.5 lb. That’s really light even in today’s standard!

I noticed that this frame pings like an aluminum can, sort of like a high pitch ping. Black one (early 93) sounds dull, so I’m wondering if GT started using thinner tubes late 93…

Also I read someone’s comments on how the re-issue frames are crap, with uneven welds and stuff compared to the “old” ones. This one has a funny under-anodized surface bumps that seem to be left during the construction process. Welds aren’t that pretty either, compared to the black one which has really nice, even, directional (believe it or not) bead. Original decals were (I’m sure) misaligned on both bikes. I can say that because ano were faded around where the decals were originally placed. I’m sure it was a hand job with no real templates at GT factory back in the day. Head tubes seem to be centered but I won’t be surprised if I find others with misaligned headtubes.

mtbr member
    Hatake....great job bro! I almost grabbed that one too. Had extra pics sent and when I saw what they looked like I backed off.....You done it good and at a fair price to boot!
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

mtbr member
    That is a sweet looking ride!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

=d

All Hail The Zaskar

mtbr member
    Did you see theGREEN Zaskar that I posted in the GT gallery?

mtbr member
    Hatake...you should put some bottle boss bolts or plugs in those holes so dirt doesn't get inside the frame.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Hey thanks guys, yah I just forgot to plug the bottle cage holes. No I haven't looked at the green Zaskar, this is the first time I Iogged in a week!! Just got too busy...