mtbr member
    Sep 2010

'12 Zaskar 9R Elite

Thinking of purchasing a '12 Zaskar 9R Elite Hardtail. Anyone have this bike? How does it ride? Anybody know the weight of the bike in it's stock form? Thanks.
    Civilian Young Turk 29er

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    A buddy of mine has the Pro version from 2010 and he loves the heck out of it. His came around 26 lbs. with XT stuff. He said he'll never get rid of it. I'm sure the Elite is probably a couple of pounds heavier but the frame is probably same weight.
    2009 GT Marathon Team,GT Force 2.0, GT Jelly Belly TT (nude carbon), and a very special Todd Wells Zaskar.

Toro
    I have a large GT Zaskar Expert '11. I recently got a Cannondale F29 Carbon 3 for racing. However, the GT gets lots of time still. It's fun to ride. It can take punishment. I mean lots of punishment. I jump it, ride chunk with it, bash into things, I fall of plank rides, I fall of log rides, it does it all and doesn't skip a beat. I would never get rid of it. Every time I think about selling it I ride it "once more" and I immediately remember why it will never leave.

It's a great recreational bike but it is a capable racer. It is a bit heavier than it's competition. I did race it this past season in the beginner class. It finished 14th, 8th, and 3rd. I believe my bike comes in at around 28lbs.
    Ricardo aka "El Toro"
    Team Raging Toro
    Toro Page on G+

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

GT Zaskar 29r

I have a 2010 Zaskar Pro 29r and 2012 Zaskar Carbon Pro 29r. Both are excellent bikes. Frame geometry is perfect. I'm 5'10'' and both bikes are''large'' frames. Zaskar Pro weighs 26#, Zaskar Carbon 23.5#. The only component I changed was seat and tires on the aluminum and stem on the Carbon bike. I'm sure the Elite is the same frame as the aluminum Zaskar with a different component group. I have ridden GT bikes since the 90's and feel they are a superior product.

mtbr member
    Just put a order through my LBS for this bike. My only dislike about it, is the color, hoping it will grow on me.

Toro

I hope you have as much fun as I did on my maiden voyage but not as much carnage.
    Ricardo aka "El Toro"
    Team Raging Toro
    Toro Page on G+

mtbr member
    ^ Nice video, I seen it a few weeks ago. Looked like a pretty sweet first ride till the fall.

Got my Zaskar! And all I can say is sweet. The color popped when I seen it in person and I feel in love. The bike itself feels so nimble and quick on the trails compared to my entry-level Karakoram. Also it's pretty light, I've never had a super light bike but this is definitely slim and stiff. The only problem I had was a jockey wheel broke on it's first ride, hoping the warranty will cover it and will be out riding again soon. You won't be disappointed with this bike, it's sick.

Toro
    Nice Zaskar. Congratulations!

My GT when it was new.

I love my Zaskar. I'm thinking about letting it go so I can get a GT Sensor instead since I have two HTs now. I don't know. Letting go of the Zaskar is tough. I ran a whole race season with it and suffered ZERO mechanicals. I had no issues with the bike at all. I crashed it and destroyed a wheel but nothing happened to the rest of the bike. It even got me on the podium this year.

Enjoy yours. It's a great choice. If you like goofing off like I do, well, you picked the right tool. That bike is a beast. It can take punishment.

Ricardo aka "El Toro"
    Team Raging Toro
    Toro Page on G+

mtbr member
    Man that wheel is gnarly! Looks painful.

Your Zaskar is nice, bet it fly's up hill whats the weight? I would have a hard time trading in the Zaskar for a new bike, but those sensors look nice too. I would just ride the zaskar for another year and save up for the sensor. You can have the best of both worlds lol.

Toro

The face stopped my forward momentum when the wheel gave out.
    Ricardo aka "El Toro"
    Team Raging Toro
    Toro Page on G+

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Sometimes my face breaks my falls too! lol

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Nice looking bike by the way!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    The new 2013 alu frames er quite a bit lighter than the 2012. That said I rode the 2012 two weekends this summer and it was a blast.