GL1
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

08 Zaskar Carbon Pro seat height

Hey All,

Last year I spent the money and got an 08 Zaskar Carbon Pro. I've always had Zaskars and it's the sweetest one yet. I got a Medium although I was right on the line between a Med and a Large. I went with the Medium because Zaskars have a long top tube and because I come from a BMX background and like my bikes a little on the smaller side. I immediately realized that the Ritchey seatpost that came with it was not going to work. It was not long enough accommodate my 31" (center of crank to top of saddle). I got the longest Thompson I could and it is working well and is a little below the "max" line on the seatpost. So, there's a good 3-4" going down into the frame. My question is...do you think this is good enough? Strong enough? Considering it's below the max line on the seatpost I think I'm okay, but the ONLY thing I ever had happen to a Zaskar frame was a busted frame on a 2000, right at the seatpost juncture. Any thoughts? Thanks, Grant

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    You should be fine running it that way. Sounds like thats a lotta post though!
    The only thing really i'd be concerned about is although your post is below the "max" line,
    that amount of post is still gonna put a lot of stress on the frame.... at the seatpost juncture. The Carbon Zaskars are incredibly strong and i really don't think it's gonna break but it is something to consider.
    I'm like you in the way i'm smack in the middle of the Med and Large sizes, and i traditionaly go for a smaller frame (coming from an old skool DH background). What i did when i got my last ID4 was get the large and swap the stem out for a shorter 90mm. Still feels like a Med with slightly more stable handling and no seat post worries.
    Still, with the carbon i'd say you'll be ok.

GL1
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Follow Up

Just a follow up on this. I talked to a great guy at GT and he said the reccommend that on Zaskars, the seatpost extend at least 1" past the top tube down into the frame. That's really a good rule of thumb for most bikes anyway.