Tom Manning
    Apr 2007

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! '06 iDrive 5 4.0 replacement headset

Is there anybody out there???

I thought I might go to the mat with all the guys in the forum and see if you might be able to help. My shop can't tell me and I can't tell from what headsets are available on line what headset should be used to replace the stock headset in this bike. Have any of you had this headset replaced? If so, what model was used to replace it. I really have to get this figured out here and I know someone out there has had this done. Please help me if you can. Thanks a million.

Tom
    Last edited by tomacita@verizon.net; 06-17-2008 at 03:09 PM.

slo65
    i'd be interested to know as i have the same bike, have you done anything about the creak?

Tom Manning
    Apr 2007

yeah but little helps the creek

I've taken apart all of the pivots and applied COPIOUS amounts of waterproof grease. Also do the same for every contact point on the shock where it is mounted to the frame. That should help. I don't personally believe it has much to do with the BB...

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by tomacita@verizon.net
    Is there anybody out there???

I thought I might go to the mat with all the guys in the forum and see if you might be able to help. My shop can't tell me and I can't tell from what headsets are available on line what headset should be used to replace the stock headset in this bike. Have any of you had this headset replaced? If so, what model was used to replace it. I really have to get this figured out here and I know someone out there has had this done. Please help me if you can. Thanks a million.

Tom
    Did you find a headset? My LBS is replacing mine...seals/gasket/o-rings (not sure what they are called) are gone and you cannot tighten the headset properly...either too tight or too loose. They had a hard time figuring out what to order but claim to have found one. I will post what the part was when I get a look at it.
    --

Ed

[SIZE="1"]rookie rider / rookie mechanic with a 2006 GT i-Drive 5 4.0[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    I too am also interested....Was wondering if i could just scoop up a cane creek s-3 or Chris King on the cheap and slap one on...

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffSpicoli
    I too am also interested....Was wondering if i could just scoop up a cane creek s-3 or Chris King on the cheap and slap one on...
    Based on an email from tomacita, this is the one to get...

Cane Creek ZS-2:

http://www.canecreek.com/zs-2-headset.html
    --

Ed

[SIZE="1"]rookie rider / rookie mechanic with a 2006 GT i-Drive 5 4.0[/SIZE]