mtbr member
    Mar 2007

'06 i-Drive 5 Dogbone

I recently snapped the dogbone on my '06 i-Drive 5. I did order a couple from Performance Bikes and was told it's back-ordered and I will not get the dogbone until the end-of-July.

I did check with 3 other LBS and no one has one and searched this forum. Does anyone know where I could purchase one online or how to rig a temporary one?

I would go crazy if I couldn't ride for a month! Thanks!

May the Force be with you
    I might have an extra one. I'll know later today and get back to you.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Awesome...Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by lcd550
    I recently snapped the dogbone on my '06 i-Drive 5. I did order a couple from Performance Bikes and was told it's back-ordered and I will not get the dogbone until the end-of-July.

I did check with 3 other LBS and no one has one and searched this forum. Does anyone know where I could purchase one online or how to rig a temporary one?

I would go crazy if I couldn't ride for a month! Thanks!
    Got a URL for the site with the dogbones? Mine is bent but not broke yet...hopefully will last a month or two until these arrive.
    --

Ed

[SIZE="1"]rookie rider / rookie mechanic with a 2006 GT i-Drive 5 4.0[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Ed...I ordered my dogbones in-store at Performance Bikes. Bought them May 2nd and was told last week they won't be available until end-of-July. BTW, mine was bent and only lasted 4 weeks before it snapped.

Make sure you check yours during your ride...if it starts to handle or respond differently, then you may have snapped it.

Good Luck!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I was able to find bike shop in Santa Monica (Calif) whose Service Manager is able to make a dogbone. It may not be as clean cut as the stamped stock one, but it sure does the trick. Credit to this guy for doing an awesome job and excellent Customer Service.

I rode my bike this morning and it handle just fine!

When I get the one I ordered from GT, I'm going to keep the handmade one in my bag as a spare. I prefer not to advertise for the shop so if you want the contact info, PM me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by lcd550
    I was able to find bike shop in Santa Monica (Calif) whose Service Manager is able to make a dogbone. It may not be as clean cut as the stamped stock one, but it sure does the trick. Credit to this guy for doing an awesome job and excellent Customer Service.

I rode my bike this morning and it handle just fine!

When I get the one I ordered from GT, I'm going to keep the handmade one in my bag as a spare. I prefer not to advertise for the shop so if you want the contact info, PM me.
    Thanks....PM sent.
    --

Ed

[SIZE="1"]rookie rider / rookie mechanic with a 2006 GT i-Drive 5 4.0[/SIZE]

May the Force be with you
    ICD550 sorry I couldn't find the one I had.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks for checking! Appreciate you taking the time!

Just a punk in the street
    Thanks for the info and taking the time to PM me LCD550.

I ended up going to a local machine shop and they made up 10 of these for me. I got 5 in the thickness of the one I broke and 5 in the next gage up. The only charged me $15. The only thing was that I had to grind one end to be rounded so that it would fit in the top slot. Seems to work ok. Except know I figured out that I have a problem with my Fox Float R rear shock. It is bottoming out. That is probably why I broke the dogbone in the first place. Now I need to do something about the shock.