mtbr member

06' GT Talera frame

Just picked this up for free and was thinking about making it a SS. I was wondering if you folks think it'd work well as an SS.

Thanks Cliff

**EDIT** It's a 96' not an 06' ....It's been a looooooong day!!

"Friends Don’t Let Friends Get Friends Haircuts”

mtbr member
    If it fits you well sure, go for it.
    I have a Aggressor that's been a ss for a few years now. I went the Singleator route but a new ENO wheel is in the works

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    wow, it looks like my first GT. The one that started my infatuation with GT's. I should have kept it. Oh well, I'm pretty happy with the ones I have now. Good luck with the SS build Cube. It's gonna look sweet.

mtbr member
    Thanks, anyone know a place to start for decent priced parts. I'm kind of wanting to do this one up on the cheap for now if possible as I've been spending alot on bikes here lately and I gotta keep momma happy. I wish I had an arsenal of parts sitting around like alot of the folks do to pick from..lol Anyways, I think I want to keep it rigid all the way around as I just like the clean look of it.

Do you think either of these forks will work? 1 or 2

Thanks,

Cliff
    Last edited by Cubensis; 08-16-2008 at 11:12 AM.

mtbr member
    It's a 96 not an 06.
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gm1230126
    It's a 96 not an 06.
    I know this, hence the *EDIT* in my post.

mtbr member
    Just took the fork and frame to the powdercoater today as I am making it an off-white color. I picked up all black components including wheels. Price Point ROCKS! Will keep you updated.....

mtbr member
    Quick question...grrrrrrr I am wanting to replace the Shimano LP26 BB with something a bit more fresh but still reasonable like the Shimano UN54. Can someone help me with what size I need to get???? This is the crankset I will be using.

Thanks a million in advance.....

Cliff

mtbr member
    The listing right below the crank link says 103 or 110mm length. It's up to you to determine which you need based upon the chainline of the frame. I'm guessing the 110 will work fine for a single speed.
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

mtbr member
    STOKED!!! Got my frame back today from the powdercoater and it looks SICK! Best $100.00 I have ever spent. I will keep posting pics as the build progresses...

The pics do not really do it justice as it is a nice shiny pearl white color. I am fixing her up with all black components....

Cliff

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Wow dude! That thing looks sick. I can't wait to get my Kara and start fixing her up with some sweet stuff.

mtbr member
    Man I wish I could change my thread title to say 96 instead of 06.....oh well..

Anyways I put the BB and cranks on this afternoon and pressed in the headset cups. I am still waiting on a few parts to arrive so it is hampering my build as of right now (read:seatpost) as I cannot put it in my workstand w/o a seatpost and all my other ones are too big....it will be here on Monday and I am being patient...

Yes it is a 42 tooth up front...I have a 32 as well but I am commuting this SS for now so hopefully 42 will be ok....

Yes it is sitting in my bathtub...

And no I did not buy a Sette frame as that is the box I was given this frame in...

Last edited by Cubensis; 09-07-2008 at 06:27 AM.

mtbr member
    A little more progress if anyone is interested....

Cliff

mtbr member
    oh and relax, I know my seat is on the post backwards as my 10 year old boy was "helping" dad out.....

mtbr member
    A couple more pics after I put the rest of the stuff on. I am going to need to put the Surly Singulator I have on for tension as I tried a half-link to no avail. I am also getting a new chain as I hate the one I have now.

Cliff

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I like the valve caps. That thing is looking sweeter and sweeter.

mtbr member
    Thanks alot man as it is good to hear after building one up and hoping it looks good. Got the singulator on it and the chainline is good but not excellent. I will mess with it some more when I get a chance. I took her out on her maiden voyage tonight around the block and after I tightened the headset up a bit she rode like a dream. It started raining on me tho so I burnt back home and put her up for the night. I have ordered a new chain (a bit more aesthetically acceptable ) which will hopefully be here soon.

I like the valve caps.
    Well thank yah. My son had and old pair of dice he donated to the cause. Drilled them out with the press like we used to do back in the old BMX days and epoxied the caps in the hole. Just wanted to add a little touch of old school....

Cliff

mtbr member
    Sorry for posting so many pics as I am just kinda excited about my new ride. Maybe just a few more with the bike pretty much done. I am going to maybe try out a bit of a smaller chainring in the future just for hype purposes, but I will change my chain to stainless and ride her for a while.

Cliff

mtbr member
    sweet man i like it! i just got a 92 talera that will built into probably an extracycle commuter with studded snow tires and fenders for the crazy winters here in idaho!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Great bike, I am also building a 90's (orange) Talera into a SS commuter.
    I will post pictures when the bike is finished.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    sweeeet!