Thread: 06 Gt id 5/4.0

slo65

06 Gt id 5/4.0

help me put my girl on a diet, i know bathroom scales aren't super accurate but i weighed myself then held the bike and checked the scale, 36lbs? does that sound right? i knew it was heavy but damn. it's all factory aside from CB candy c's and a WTB saddle, is dropping 4lbs or so do-able without breaking the bank? do tell

No good in rock gardens..
    First place to look for big savings would be tyres and tubes IMO.
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    yep, tires tubes and wheels. Then probably a lighter fork if possible. XT or XTR components make a difference. Same goes with top of the line SRAM. Less weight usually means more money. Hee hee hee, your wallet's gonna loose some weight too.

mtbr member
    I have the same bike and had the same concern about the weight. the biggest weight saving you can make on that bike is to replace the front fork - almost 6 pounds by it self. I looked around and found a REBA race at performance bike for 375.00 installed brand new. With other replacement parts ID 4 5.0 now tips the scales at 31.0 pounds. a very noticable difference.
    LIVE TO RIDE - RIDE TO LIVE

mtbr member
    and not to mention that the stock fork is a piece of crap. If you replace the fork with a quality air sprung fork you notice a difference in your riding ability also.
    LIVE TO RIDE - RIDE TO LIVE

slo65
    Quote Originally Posted by Idriver
    and not to mention that the stock fork is a piece of crap. If you replace the fork with a quality air sprung fork you notice a difference in your riding ability also.
    yea i'm not too big on the fork, i keep up with the guys i ride with but i'm always beat to crap after the fact while they're looking fresh , the tires seem heavy, they're the stock "tiogas" or whatever, so.. ghetto tubeless conversion with some nevegals (spell check) and a decent air fork, anything else?

Members who have read this thread: 0