mtbr member
    Jan 2011

’94 Karakoram project "grungy"

... been cleaning up a Karakoram for someone recently and thought I’d show it. Afterall, I like checking out other persons project bikes, and maybe someone can use this as reference for their work on a Kara'.

About 10 yrs ago I picked this up as a gift and swapped the rigid fork for a Manitou SX. Last year we swapped out the original “bullhorn” ‘bars for straight ones, and the original trigger shifters for grip shifters.

Now:
    I thought I’d just swap out the chain and look into why the fork makes noise ... but [as it works out sometimes], its blown up into a project of taking apart almost everything, degreasing, re-lubing, assembling, adjusting.

Some people give their rides a name ... and this one would be called “grungy”.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    ... and it was grungy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    ... found the cassette was loose, so I thought: instead of just tightening it, I’ll remove it and have a look inside. The dried grease was probably the original stuff from when the factory assembled it 18 years ago, plus I found about 12 wraps of fishing line wound around the free hub.

At one point, I decided to degrease the entire bike ... thats when I found that my degreaser attacks paint, and what was left of the original gloss black, was now defintely flat. Is there an emoticon for panic?

Later (fortunately), I found that a complete polishing / waxing brought it back to gloss again.

Nice day for a ride.....
    Nice to see all these old rebuild projects happening. That Kara has some potential.
    2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fatbike

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by RatchAttack View Post
    Nice to see all these old rebuild projects happening. That Kara has some potential.
    Thanks RA. Ya, I think it'll be nice when I get it going again. To make it really good, it would would need new paint (and probably some better components), but still, I'm eager to get it out on the local trails. My first MTB was a cro-mo hardtail, so its kind of going back to roots.

... now, just have to figure out how to re-build that fork.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    IMO,don't bother with that fork.I rebuilted a 90's Marzocchi and just doesn't worth the trouble.Get a new or go rigid.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by nick6sic6 View Post
    IMO,don't bother with that fork.I rebuilted a 90's Marzocchi and just doesn't worth the trouble.Get a new or go rigid.
    Ya, I think I know what you mean, Nick. A modern fork would blow this away. Personally I found this SX fairly stiff (I mean: not a lot of suspension action) for the few times that I rode it, but then I am built like a roady. The actual owner / rider is heavier, and I suspect he's getting more out of it. Especially for the moderate riding he does, its probably worth the cleaning, re-lubing and new oil. We'll see.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    If you are working on one of these ... this appears to be the correct routing for the front drlr cable. FYI, that small section of tube is not a cable housing, only a plastic tube, and I believe its factory also.

Also, if you want to convert your old GT from canti brakes to V-brakes, it was very easy with the way that GT ran the cable inside the top tube. You only have to add a housing from the stop at the back end to the brake noodle. To keep the cable movement solid, I put a housing ferrule at the ends of the housings where it runs to / from the top tube.

mtbr member
    Very nice looking bike! Post up the full shots when done. The forums seem to be overrun with '94 Karakoram rebuilds lately.
    Contact information: http://about.me/marpilli

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I like you shared... working on my first frame build. But its a supposed 92 Team Avalanche frame, only a few things make me not so sure of that. But it'll be my polo bike and its pretty freakin Rad no matter what! lol

This will be nice when its all done and you wont wanna take yer eyes off it, I like the stickers on the 94 vs other years prior too...but only on the 94, the big early KARAKORAM decals are cool too.
    Cool your building it for a friend, he'll be stoked!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    just finished it up a couple weeks ago and took it off road a couple times ... I had to test it, right?

I ended up going through almost everything on it and replacing a few things, but its worth it. Its great on singletrack; just sit back and push the ‘bars left-right-left-right. Plus with the triple triangle frame, some (relatively) soft tires and re-worked suspension fork, it feels plush for a hard-tail.
    Its a good classic mountain-bike.
    Afterwards I found myself on CraigsList, using the search term “GT”. Maybe I’ll find something for myself.

007BigD,
    Thanks, yes, I delivered it last week to my brother. The rebuild was something of a present, ‘cause he likes riding, but has no interest in building. For me the work is a fun hobby [but it did take a lot of time].
    Did you post your GT yet? I’m just getting back to the forums now and tried searching for yours.

Here’s a link to a dozen photos. Note: hit the "View as slide show" button. Its easier.
    GT pictures by Jg93kg9 - Photobucket

... or just check out the pics below.

No more grunge ...

and back to grungey [temporarily]
    Last edited by 2wheels2; 06-10-2012 at 04:09 PM.