Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Wolf Creek Trail @ Poplar Bluff, MO

I didn't see this trail listed in the Trails Directory.

Here is a link USDA Forest Service - Poplar Bluff Ranger District NEPA Projects - Wolf Creek Bicycle Trail Project

Just North of the Highway Patrol Station in Poplar Bluff is a recently constructed mountain bike / walking trail. It's off the outer road on Forestry Road 3107. As soon as you get on the Forestry road, the parking lot is on the right.

Eventually it will be 20+ miles. Right now they only have 5 miles (Northwest of the road) completed. It's not too challenging, but it is a nice ride through the woods. At various points along the trail if you come to a fork, the Southeast leg will take you back to the main road. If you decide to take the road back to the parking lot, the last hill on the gravel is a monster.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I'll have to come down from STL sometime and ride it

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by richulr View Post
    I'll have to come down from STL sometime and ride it
    Right now it's only 5 miles finished. Probably not worth a special trip. If you are in the area, check it out. Once they get the whole thing complete I am sure it will be worth the trip.

No big downhills on the first section. Not sure what the other section has in store.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    thanks for the heads up

Who is John Galt?
    This has been on my radar, I'll be down in the next couple of weeks and will try to do some video. Great place for a trail, and PB has a bike shop now. You build it, they will come...
    What, me hurry?

mtbr member
    They've had a bike shop for ages. My best friend was his neighbor. Used to carry Schwinn, now he carries Trek.

mtbr member
    FYI, rode the whole completed trail the other day. 5.5 miles one way. Was getting dark so we took the forestry road back. You can see where they are clearing the other side for new trails. Can't wait for them to open up.

Who is John Galt?
    Got to ride this trail today. Lots of fun, will be better when it breaks in. A real beginner friendly trail, nothing to hard. Cries out for some log piles or something more challenging. As it is, it's a trail you can ride really fast. Lots of twisty stuff. Would be awesome for the single speed crowd. I shot some video, will try to put together something soon. Must dry fast, wasn't any mud to speak of.
    What, me hurry?

mtbr member
    Glad you liked it. Can't wait for the other side to get finished.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    How long a drive from St. Charles? Can't wait until all 20 miles is complete. Epic rides and trips are cool!
    Peace from Hell...

'13 Chromag Stylus
    '11 Specialized 29r EVO ht
    '11 DB Mission 2 w/Fox 36

bab74 on GORC

Who is John Galt?
    Three hours maybe? It's straight down Highway 67 to the trail. By the way, if you are searching for it, you won't find a sign for FS Rd. 3107, the road is unmarked. When I searched maps on my iPhone it showed County Rd. 421 or something like that. I pulled into the right road, was about to turn around when I spotted an old sign with 3107 on it. Right behind it is the white chat parking lot for the trailhead. Easiest way to find it is to go south on 67 until you pass the Highway Patrol. Then turn at the next exit, go back the way you came on the outer road and turn on the first road that doesn't lead to a house. If you don't see the trailhead right away you are on the wrong road.
    What, me hurry?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Can't believe I haven't heard about this... i am going to check this trail out this next week. I am off of townshipline rd. super close!

Who is John Galt?
    Yes you are. I actually prefer riding the Ozark Trail just west of Van Buren, much more challenging. Pretty sure you can only go south on that section.
    What, me hurry?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Thanks for the directions. I will have to check it out when I can venture down there.
    Peace from Hell...

'13 Chromag Stylus
    '11 Specialized 29r EVO ht
    '11 DB Mission 2 w/Fox 36

bab74 on GORC

mtbr member
    It's about a half mile north of the Missouri Highway Patrol Station Troop E Headquarter, same side of the highway. The Forestry Road is off the same outer road.

Pickin' n' Grinnin'
    Interesting trail to hit on the way to Sylamor in Arkansas.
    Ignorance is bliss until they take your bliss away...

mtbr member
    Looks like fun! Good that it dries quick too! On the "other side" where they may have started.... Does it appear passable for bushwhacking, or is it still machete country?
    ~Dinorider~
    Anything on 2 wheels...
    Sugar 4+
    Trek 4900
    '84 Goldwing

mtbr member
    Thanks for the Post. I am adding it to the FB group page SEMBORA (South East Missouri Off Road Bike Association).
    Happy Grinding!
    ~Dinorider~
    Anything on 2 wheels...
    Sugar 4+
    Trek 4900
    '84 Goldwing

Who is John Galt?
    You could bushwhack there in the winter or early spring, the trees aren't that thick. If anyone's looking for this group on Facebook, here's the link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/399000043510756/
    What, me hurry?

mtbr member
    does anyone know how much of this trail is finished? looking forward to riding it in the next few weeks...

mtbr member
    They added another few miles. There is a mile added to the end of the existing 5.5 mile trail, making the ride out 6.5 miles. 13 miles round trip.

They also added about 2.5 miles of new trail to create a 3.5 mile loop at the beginning.
    Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn.
    C. S. Lewis

mtbr member
    as of today

C. S. Lewis

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryWallwart View Post
    as of today

This is my old stomping grounds. An old friend from PB was telling me about this a few months ago. I'll have to get up there soon and try it out. How many miles do they have completed?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Trails View Post
    This is my old stomping grounds. An old friend from PB was telling me about this a few months ago. I'll have to get up there soon and try it out. How many miles do they have completed?
    I would say about 9 miles total.

You could probably make a 15 mile ride out of it if you went out one way and took the loop on your way back.

Of course if you went the long way out and back you could make it 16+
    C. S. Lewis

mtbr member
    Would you recommend clockwise or counterclockwise to ride the loop?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast