mtbr member

Who's all doing the Cruise The Blues in Western KS this August?

Looks like a fun time, I know several Topeka locals are going there this year.

Info Below:

2013 Cruise the Blues

Registration is on prerace.com

Kansas all Races and Events Calendar - PreRace.com - Bike, Triathlon, Winter, Running

There is a Fri night ride then the race is Sat.

Doug and Tracey Palen own and operate Palen Family Farms located east of Tipton in North Central Kansas. Doug is a mountain bike enthusiast and has established 13 miles of trails winding through the creeks, pastures, native grass, and croplands on the farm. Each August, the Palens host the annual Cruise the Blues mountain bike festival.

Cruise the Blues is an event in which riders of any age or ability can participate. The day starts at noon with a 6-hour ride and race. All riders start at noon and can continue to ride laps until 6pm. Participants complete as many or as few laps as they like. You simply check in at the end of each completed lap.

The day will continue with concessions and raffle drawings for cool stuff donated by our generous sponsors. The day's festivities conclude with an awards ceremony including trophies and cash prizes and top everything off with barn-burnin' live music.

Cruise the Blues also includes the Cruiz'n Kids race for the younger riders, starting at 10am. Come join them for a day the entire family can enjoy!

Web Site: cruisetheblues.com

Event Info:

Date Ride
    08-24-2013 Cruise the Blues - Cruise the Blues is a mountain bike festival taking place at Palen Family Farms located east of Tipton in North Central Kansas, and featuring 13 miles of trails winding through the creeks, pastures, native grass, and croplands on the farm.

mtbr member

Re: Who's all doing the Cruise The Blues in Western KS this August?

We will be going! This will be my 3rd year. It's a blast. If you can go, you should! And talk anyone you can into going as well. We always go on Friday and camp out, and do the night ride/poker ride. Very family oriented. Anyway, it's a great trail system that he has, always meet great people, and the race itself it a blast. See you there! I'm Mike btw, live in Salina.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynomiker View Post
    We will be going! This will be my 3rd year. It's a blast. If you can go, you should! And talk anyone you can into going as well. We always go on Friday and camp out, and do the night ride/poker ride. Very family oriented. Anyway, it's a great trail system that he has, always meet great people, and the race itself it a blast. See you there! I'm Mike btw, live in Salina.

Cool. I've had two guys back out on me on doing a team but I know several other folks I ride with here in Topeka are going and they are some darn good riders! A few race for bike shops!

I plan on going out there Friday afternoon as I don't get off work until 830am that morning.

Is the terrain mostly flowy flat terrain with some whoopty doos and what not? I guess what I'm trying to decide is weather to ride my single speed 29'er or my geared 26" mtb.

Also doesn't the night ride / poker run cost as well? I'll give it some thought but i'm not sure i'll do the Friday event. I do plan on camping out on his property and I know some others that do as well. I really wish it would dry up though because I need to ride the 26". I built the 29'er in March and have mostly been riding it in it's single speed glory!

Ok enough of my ramblings...I'm Ryan from Topeka by the way.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by rynoman03 View Post
    Cool. I've had two guys back out on me on doing a team but I know several other folks I ride with here in Topeka are going and they are some darn good riders! A few race for bike shops!

I plan on going out there Friday afternoon as I don't get off work until 830am that morning.

Is the terrain mostly flowy flat terrain with some whoopty doos and what not? I guess what I'm trying to decide is weather to ride my single speed 29'er or my geared 26" mtb.

Also doesn't the night ride / poker run cost as well? I'll give it some thought but i'm not sure i'll do the Friday event. I do plan on camping out on his property and I know some others that do as well. I really wish it would dry up though because I need to ride the 26". I built the 29'er in March and have mostly been riding it in it's single speed glory!

Ok enough of my ramblings...I'm Ryan from Topeka by the way.

Yes, pretty flat, gradual ups and downs. Pretty smooth, some tree roots, a little sand, lots of hard pack. Unless it rains the whole time like last year. Muddy mess! But fun. Ya, my buddy that owns the local bike shop will be there with the family, and he's racing solo glory again I believe, along with a few other locals. I know we have a handful of people from Salina that go. Some solo, some team, some glory, some joy. Me and the wife do team joy. We have a lot of fun.

The night ride doesn't cost anything, as far as I can remember. I got there to late last year to ride it. Still had to set up camp. But the year before we didn't have to pay anything. It's only about a mile loop in the dark. He keeps it pretty short. But it was a blast. A little beer drinking and hanging out afterwards. Breakfast in the morning. Then everyone starts showing up! It gets crowded fast Saturday morning. Then the race starts at 11. Over at 4. Dinner starts about 6. And awards ceremony, after.

See ya there then!

mtbr member
    Oh sweet they feed ya breakfast? If not i'd gladly buy it and yes I was planning on drinking my fair share of beer. I need a MTBR sticker to put on the cooler though .

Hmm... Sounds very SS able. I hate to get over there and wish I took the geared bike though. I'll either be riding a black 26" Sette' Reken or my Carolina Blue Haro Mary SS 29".

Drive a black Grand Prix. Probably be wearing a blue and white PI Jersey the day of the race with a white Bontrager helmet. Hopefully I see ya.

mtbr member

We usually make our breakfast. But I think they said something about doing it this year for a small fee Saturday and Sunday morning both.

Ya, I know a few people that have done it on a SS no problem, but they are in better shape than me. Hahaha.

Well have a white mini van parked by the RVs behind the main building. Well be tent camping though. Haha. It's just where we park. Probably a couple of tents and a blue easy up.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Right on. I have been riding SS on the trails all summer. I could probably do it then. I love riding SS it's just simple. The only thing I hate is when I can't climb a hill and have to push it. My gear ratio is 2:1 so some stuff just isn't doable at the moment.

mtbr member
    I too will be tenting it up. Not sure on the tent color but I'll try to pitch one near you unless the other Topeka folks pitch theirs in a special spot.

mtbr member
    Just registered me and my daughter. Our first time. Looks like fun.

mtbr member
    My first time too! It looks like the weather is going to cooperate.