mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Where to ride in the black hills

I'm going out there for memorial weekend. I'll probably have two days to ride. What are some must ride trails? I like to ride easy down hill or pretty much anything that doesn't have a ton of super hard climbs.

Any place I can rent a full suspension from? My brother is going to need a bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    You picked a good weekend to come out and ride. http://www.bhfattirefestival.com/
    Ton's of group rides, demos, and events. Just stop by the festival tent and join a group ride or get some maps to ride on your own. Seriously, you couldn't pick a better weekend to come out.

-Ross-

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by slickrockross
    You picked a good weekend to come out and ride. http://www.bhfattirefestival.com/
    Ton's of group rides, demos, and events. Just stop by the festival tent and join a group ride or get some maps to ride on your own. Seriously, you couldn't pick a better weekend to come out.

-Ross-
    Oh Sweet! Any idea how much it cost to get into? I saw it said $75 but that was for a few races too. Do they have cheaper tickets? I'm kinda low on cash.

How about getting a rental for my brother? Think with all those people in the area all the rentals might be taken already?

Pro Lurker
    May 2006
    There will be bike companys there that will have test bikes!
    2008 Stumpjumper FSR Elite
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural stupidity"

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jd1828
    Oh Sweet! Any idea how much it cost to get into? I saw it said $75 but that was for a few races too. Do they have cheaper tickets? I'm kinda low on cash.

How about getting a rental for my brother? Think with all those people in the area all the rentals might be taken already?
    Hey JD,
    There is no cost to get in. You can tag along on rides for free, just go to the tent and see what rides are going on during the day! Some good rides to keep in the back of your head are storm mountain, tinton trail (spearfish), buzzards roost is decent.. Those are the only ones I can think of at the moment. I live in Spearfish so i'm sure someone from Rapid can chime in and give you a better idea. I'll see ya there!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MtGoat
    There will be bike companys there that will have test bikes!
    I've never done the demo bike thing. So I just show up and they have a bunch of bikes. I can just pick one, throw it in the car, and head off to a trail? This might be the best trip ever if that's the case.

Pro Lurker
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jd1828
    I've never done the demo bike thing. So I just show up and they have a bunch of bikes. I can just pick one, throw it in the car, and head off to a trail? This might be the best trip ever if that's the case.
    Not to sure on the details...you might have to leave them a credit card or check or something to ensure you bring the bike back. Not to sure if you can take it down the road but M-Hill is right behind the park and there are some killer trails right there!
    2008 Stumpjumper FSR Elite
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural stupidity"

mtbr member
    There will be lots of opportunity to go on both guided and self-guided rides. I personally will be leading rides at Storm Mountain, which is just south of Rapid and at Bulldog (on the Centennial Trail) near Sturgis.

Also, give Tim or Kelly at Acme Bicycles a call. They can either let you know if they have rentals or steer you in the right direction.

Go over to BHMBA (Black Hills Mountain Bike Association) for more information as well.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Best trails are in Spearfish. Tinton for DH singletrack, and Big Hill for XC singletrack. Crow Peak is fun too, but can be treacherous.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Being here during the festival will get you to see lots of different terrain. Incredible trails are located all over the hills. Based on the description of what you like to ride there are also two sections of the Centennial Trails that you might also enjoy (Bulldog and Pactola-to-Pilot Knob). Good thing is you could ride both of these along with other rides in the same day without getting cooked. Have fun when you are in the area and swing into ACME to say hello.
    Ride because you love it and for no other reason.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    What's a good ride for someone that likes steep technical trails?

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by slimat99 View Post
    What's a good ride for someone that likes steep technical trails?
    You talking about going up, or going down?
    The 14 warmest years have all occurred in the 16 years since 1997.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I prefer easy climbs like fire roads, double track etc.. with technical DH. I don't mind technical climbs, but I don't seek them out.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by slimat99 View Post
    I prefer easy climbs like fire roads, double track etc.. with technical DH. I don't mind technical climbs, but I don't seek them out.
    You could warm-up in Rapid City itself at the Hanson-Larsen Memorial Park. IMBA built some excellent climbing trails that are not too technical for heading up and are wide enough "singletrack" to qualify as almost double track in spots - IMO. All kinds of choices to head down the hill in the Hanson-Larsen (formerly known as "M Hill").

Video's and links to other videos are right here.

Black Hills Mountain Bike Association is here. You can check out trail maps there.

Paha Sapa is Black Hills in the native Lakota language. You can check trails in Paha Sapa (Black Hills) here. There is no shortage of high caliber riding in the Black Hills - that's for sure.

BB
    The 14 warmest years have all occurred in the 16 years since 1997.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post
    You could warm-up in Rapid City itself at the Hanson-Larsen Memorial Park. IMBA built some excellent climbing trails that are not too technical for heading up and are wide enough "singletrack" to qualify as almost double track in spots - IMO. All kinds of choices to head down the hill in the Hanson-Larsen (formerly known as "M Hill").

Video's and links to other videos are right here.

Black Hills Mountain Bike Association is here. You can check out trail maps there.

Paha Sapa is Black Hills in the native Lakota language. You can check trails in Paha Sapa (Black Hills) here. There is no shortage of high caliber riding in the Black Hills - that's for sure.

BB
    Thanks for the info and link! I'm coming from CO, are there any technical trails that would interest a guy from the Rockies? I love super steep, super gnar DH, and prefer to earn my turns rather than shuttle. Main reason for my trip is to visit the badlands with the wife. I'll bring a bike if there's good riding. What's the most advance, technical trail in the black hills that a guy can climb too? I don't mind climbing/pushing my bike for hours for gnar DH. I'll be on a nomad with a 180 so I'm pretty choosy about the trails I ride. My bike is WAY over kill for anything short of tech gnar.