Just ride.

What's your off-season like? (for the mountainless...)

What's your off-season like during the winter cold/darkness? How do you keep the winter weight off (for those of us who don't have mountains to play in)?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Pack up your things and move to the mountains like I did, (Black Hills of South Dakota). Otherwise running is something I usually do just during the winter to keep in shape. Get a headlight and trail run or just around the neighborhood. Just watch for ice. XC skiing helps, depending where you are. road rides on the weekends help to, again, depending what's your winter like and ice. It is hard to get motivated to run when it's dark and 0 degrees but find someone to run with or have a dog that needs to get out as much as you do. Worst case, and I do mean worst case scenario get a trainer or a gym membership, to pass the time.
    I know it sucks but spring will be here soon.

-Ross-

Just ride.
    Yeah I've been looking into getting a trainer to put the bike on. Do you own one...and was it worth purchasing, i.e. do you still use it? Headlight is a good way to go too, except when it gets too cold.

Ha, I think your best solution is just move to the mountains (yet not the easiest solution)!

Scallywag
    Jul 2009
    Ha I moved away from the mountains to Kansas City... KC mountain bike sceen awesome but winter is hard! I used to ski all winter now I eat and get an occasional ride in, hell it can hit 70 degrees in Jan. Running might work for you but the trainer? You might use it for a week or two but it is so increadibly boring! get a gym membership and you can ride the stationary bikes, or like me last year get in a spin class.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Ride the gravel roads. The gravel seems to bubble up through the snow and make for decent traction. Temps are usually best below 32 (after snow) so it doesn't get too soft and muddy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    As far as a trainer goes, I bought one 3 years ago and used it for 1 winter. It is very boring. If your a determined racer I'd say go for it, but I would agree that getting a gym membership or joining a spin class would be better. If' you do buy a trainer, ask around, I'm sure I'm not the only one with a dusty trainer sitting in his basement.

-Ross-

Just ride.
    Well seeing that the nearest gravel road is a half hour drive (as compared to the trails being less than 5 minutes aways) and it's been raining hardcore the last couple days (meaning no trail riding for at LEAST a week), I went ahead and ordered a CycleOps Fluid 2 Trainer and turned the spare room into a weight room. If winter continues this way here, I'll be spending a lot of time hitting the weights and trainer.

Figured I'd buy a trainer new so If I hate it I can still return it within a couple months. Oh, and I sure hope it has enough resistance for my Single Speed 29er...

Anybody have experience with a trainer and single speed or the CycleOps Fluid 2? I'm running a 32x19.

Bleeder at large
    Feb 2004
    race cyclocross, gravel grinders, trail running, winter MTB'ing, there are lots of choices. Fluid 2 is a great trainer. Just get yourself a TV in front of it and "watch" some sufferfest videos.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    For riding, I'll hit the trails when they're dry/firm enough. Otherwise, hello gravel and pavement.

For general fitness, now is the time to do some trail work. You'll work the upper body pretty well, and the hikes in and out are a nice form of cross training.

Who is John Galt?
    I tend to ride in the summer and run in the winter. I do some night riding but the freeze/thaw cycles just kill the trails where I live. Last year I don't think I got 2 MB rides in all winter. Got to agree gravel road rides are lots of fun. I'm looking at a trainer too, I think any kind of exercise while takes the guilt away from TV watching. I've got weight equipment and I try to do core work when the outside is nasty.
    What, me hurry?

Just ride.
    Got my CycleOps Fluid 2 trainer in today, I'm gonna set it up and hopefully ride on it tonight or tomorrow morning...then leave a review on here tomorrow.

TCW
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    In Oklahoma you can ride through the winter except on really bad days. For the most part winter riding is great here. Get a couple lights, hit up Draper on Tuesdays and Clearbay on Thursday. You'll find plenty of riders there on both nights. Winter Solstice last year was amazing, riders everywhere with their modern pagan torches illuminating the trails.

Just ride.
    Yeah, but hard to do when you live in Ada, OK....an hour and a half from Draper... minimum.

Setup the Fluid 2 tonight. Not able to work yet. Looks like my tire needs to be about a 1/2" smaller in the rear to fit on the trainer. Hoperfully once I get a small slick tire it will fit and work well. Maybe a 29x1.5 will work we'll see. Right now is a 29x2.0 and it's not happening.

TCW
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    In Ada, that's too bad. So much great trail potential around there. You have a road bike by chance? We rode the Pumkin Pursuit just a few weeks ago. Nice ride with lots of hills on the 63 mile ride. Anyway, where do you typically ride your mountain bike, being from Ada?

Edit: Forgot to mention: I live about 5 miles from the Clearbay trailhead. It took us less than an hour to get to Ada for the Pumkin Pursuit. If you get off work by 5:30 you could still make the Thursday night rides at Clearbay. The ride start at 7:00. Hope to see you there sometime.
    Last edited by TCW; 11-11-2011 at 10:06 AM.

Just ride.
    Nope, no road bike...just MTB. The trails we ride in Ada are at the Elks Lodge. It's about 7 miles total of single track. We've put a lot of work into it with some fun transitions, lots of berms, and one pretty technical trail. If you ever near the area it's worth a trip, although I do suggest if you come to meet up with a local so you can ride the best routes.

We also tend to take weekend trips to Murray a lot since it's only a little over an hour away. Murray is sweet if you haven't been!

That Thursday 7:00PM ride is sounding pretty tempting...I'm thinking you're right, I could probably make it. Although dropping the cash on gas to get there and back may not be worth it... but maybe.

Just ride.
    Oh, and I've been hearing some rumors of some trail building going on in Seminole (cross your fingers!).

TCW
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Yeah, I've done Murray. Nice trail, a lot more chunk than I expected. We rode with the local dudes and got worked over. I think out and back was around 22 miles.

I had no idea Ada had any trails. Hope you guys really build that place up, would be great to have another system down the road.
    Last edited by TCW; 11-11-2011 at 11:33 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    its still been pretty nice up here in Iowa, rode on Thanksgiving. I've also been riding the expresso bike at work. They keep you engaged, give you something to do. You can post your times against people all over the world to see where you rank.