mtbr member

What's the best Tubeless Tire for a 29er?

Looking for a great Lightweight, durable, Tubeless tire to go on a set of Stans Arch EX Rims for a Niner Jet 9 RDO 29er. Any suggestions?
    Single Track Rules!

mtbr member
    I would say it depends on the terrain you ride. For what I ride, Maxxis Ikon EXO's are amazing. I've also heard Rocket Ron's and Racing Ralph's are just as good and I'll probably try those out next. Be forewarned though, these tires aren't exactly cheap.
    Yeti SB-66 Carbon

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by HouseNotes View Post
    Looking for a great Lightweight, durable, Tubeless tire to go on a set of Stans Arch EX Rims for a Niner Jet 9 RDO 29er. Any suggestions?
    On a NoTubes rim such as the Arch EX - you can choose between a lot of tires.

Tubeless Ready Tires
    Tubeless Tires
    Non Tubeless Tires

They all work on the NoTubes rims/bead interface which makes them excellent for converting to tubeless. Add sealant and ride whether the tires are tubeless, tubeless ready, or an older variant of the non tubeless.

Light and durable usually means you are going to get one of the more XC oriented tires that also comes with a beefed up sidewall (Schwalbe calls their beefed up sidewall Snakskin, Maxxis calls theirs EXO Protection, etc....). With the added durability in the sidewall, the "light" increases about 60g - 70g or so per tire in the 29"er size. Examples of the "light and durable" tires with the beefed up sidewalls include Maxxis Ikon with EXO, Schwalbe Racing Ralph with Snakeskin, Schwalbe Nobby Nic with Snakeskin. Many opt for this blend of "light and durable" with excellent success.

The most "durable" will be the true tubeless tires (of which there are not too many in the 29"er format). Maxxis calls theirs LUST and the additional weight for a true tubeless tire adds about 200g - 220g per tire over the non LUST version in 29"er size (Crossmark 2.1 and Ardent 2.25).

The "lightest" tires you will find come in models that do not have the reinforced sidewalls - yet many of us have found they are "durable enough" for our terrain/soil and riding needs to not have to worry about sidewall tears. Something like the Maxxis Ikon 2.2, Maxxis Aspen 2.1, Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.25 or 2.1, Schwalbe Rocket Ron 2.25, NoTubes Raven 2.2 or 2.0, WTB Nanoraptor 2.1, etc... . There are many more, but these are just some popular examples that I am acquainted with through my use.

You can also run a tire with more grip and volume up front and something smaller or with less aggressive grip in the rear to get a nice combination of performance. And of course - they can be of different brands, different sidewall protections, etc... with fun still being had by all.

What's "great" for one, may not be so "great" for another rider based on their handling skills, experience, terrain/soil, bike and comfort level.

BB