mtbr member

What tire setup are you riding front / rear.

Casually looking for a new set of tires and was curious what my fellow area MTB'ers are running. I've been skimming the wheel / tire section but I'd like to know what the folks in my area are running.

I ride trails 80% of the time and 20% paved / gravel trails for a good distance ride.

I'm looking for a good all around tire with some decent low rolling resistance but good traction on roots/ rocks as well. I'm getting tired of my Kenda 26x1.95 (stock kenda model) spinning out in the rear. I'm running a Specialized Enduro up front 26x2.2.

Been debating on the Maxxis Ignitors, Schwab Hans Dampf (PRICEY!), Specialized Control series ect.

I just need some input from fellow riders that ride what I ride in my area.

Also post up your sizes and what not to help me out please.

Thanks in advance!

Perpetual n00b
    I've got the new Spec Purgatory 2.3 up front and a Spec Captain 2.2 on the rear. Tubeless 29 inch with Control casing. The 2.2 Captain on the back is just enough squish to take the edge off when riding over roots, logs, or other solid objects on the trail. When the back tire wears out I may try a Ground Control 2.3 if it has as much or more volume than the Captain 2.2.

What is your area? This Great Plains forum covers far too large an area than it should really.
    When the chicks at school see how gay we are, they're gonna be all over us.

mtbr member
    Finally dialed in tires for my rigid SS last year -- WTB Weirwolf LT up front and Nano (reversed) out back. Hard to find, so I have stocked up. Riding clay-loam hardpack mostly, but they've been great elsewhere, too. Also running Kenda Small Block 8s on the hardtail with delight. Proper tire pressure is the key with both set ups -- a few PSI makes all the difference.

mtbr member
    I'm in NE Kansas. Topeka / KC area to be exact. We've got rooty rocky trails here that if you get any moisture on them they are slippery or tacky. The roots and rocks kinda suck when wet. When its dry it's mostly hardpack with roots and rocks but lately the trails have been damp.

I'm not tubeless but I do run a hardtail. Got a friend that runs the Kenda's you mentioned. I might need to invest in a Presta air gauge.

You running those Kenda's front and back?

mtbr member
    2.3 Purgatory on the front and 2.1 Ground Control in the back, tubeless. Maybe switch to Ground Control up front and Fast Trak in the back in the summer.
    If the path ahead looks dangerous ------- it probably is!

mtbr member
    Welp I found a deal on some Fast Trak's 19.98 a tire on BlueSkyCycling.com

BlueSkyCycling.com - Specialized Fast Trak MTB Folding Tire

I couldn't pass em up. If anything else they will be my summer tires. I'm gonna give em a go.

swim-bike-run-bike-bike
    Oct 2009
    Maxxis Ardent 2.4 up front - Maxxis Ikon 2.2 out back. Does everything excellent, go tubeless, drop front to 24 lbs. rear 26 ish. You will never look back. Just ride and ride and ride.
    [I]Red Dirt Sky[/I]

mtbr member
    Thinking bout going ghetto tubeless. I was looking at those Ardent's I just didn't find them at a price I liked.