Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Visiting KC next week. Where to ride?

Will be in the KC, MO area staying on the north side. Looking for a great place to ride either in the morning or perhaps get out for a night ride or two. Suggestions? Also looking for a place not too far away to take a newbie out for their first time.

Thanks in advance,

Rich

PS any out of shape super clydes want to go for a spin I would love to tag along.

keeptrollintrollintrollin
    What exact part of the city. There are a lot of trails around KC.

Take a look at Earthriders Mountain Bike Club (check out the forums for trail info)

Also take a look at www.earthriders.org (lots of good info on KC trails and their locations)

I ride mostly on the KS side at shawnee mission park and Lawrence but I hear good things about all of the KC area trails. Good luck wherever you choose to shred

Except when I'm driving
    Mar 2012
    I don't live in KC anymore, moved to CO 5 years ago. But when I was out there I would ride:
    *Shawnee Mission Park - Located on the west side of Lenexa
    *Swope Park - SE of the City, don't go here at night
    *Minor Park
    *Landahl Park - In Blue Springs (probably the best riding in the KC area)

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    [QUOTE=codyh12345;9196657]What exact part of the city. There are a lot of trails around KC."

I will be staying over in Tiffany Springs ... Thanks for all those who have responded.

mtbr member
    Smithville's probably closest. A map of all the local trails is here. Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I agree with Antipavement: Landahl Park is probably the best riding around - a good mix of smooth flowy, with some rocky/rooty stuff thrown in, and a few moderate climbs/descents. You could spend a whole day there.

Haven't really ridden anywhere up north near Tiffany Springs yet, but Landahl's worth the drive. If you're down south at all Swope Park is a nice local place (although a little small for the amount of driving you'd have to do).

If you have some time, you could go out south of Lawrence a little bit and ride at Clinton State Park. A good mix of riding out there. Happy riding!

With all of the off and on rain we've been having, be sure to check the earth riders forum for trail conditions.

Who turned out the lights
    Smithville will be the closest to you, and there is some pretty good riding there. Not as much tech (but it's there in a few areas, like Neale's Trail). Probably about 30 minutes away from you, maybe a little less.

Shawnee Mission Park probably won't be that far away from you either, as it's pretty much just down 435 South to Midland. Two loops, orange and viole(n)t, with red being the new "out and back" (soon to be a loop). Very good trails. Violet is very rocky, orange is designed to be more beginner friendly, red is perfect.

Next would be Landahl, somewhere between 30 and 45 minute drive in Blue Springs. Quite a bit of trail, with a really good mix of all kinds.

Check the Earthriders forums. If you scroll down to the lower half, you will see trail status updates that will tell you if the trail is rideable based on precipitation. We're all open right now and looking good for the next several days possibly.

Probably drunk right now

^^This^^

Quote Originally Posted by Francis Buxton View Post
    Smithville will be the closest to you, and there is some pretty good riding there. Not as much tech (but it's there in a few areas, like Neale's Trail). Probably about 30 minutes away from you, maybe a little less.

Shawnee Mission Park probably won't be that far away from you either, as it's pretty much just down 435 South to Midland. Two loops, orange and viole(n)t, with red being the new "out and back" (soon to be a loop). Very good trails. Violet is very rocky, orange is designed to be more beginner friendly, red is perfect.

Next would be Landahl, somewhere between 30 and 45 minute drive in Blue Springs. Quite a bit of trail, with a really good mix of all kinds.

Check the Earthriders forums. If you scroll down to the lower half, you will see trail status updates that will tell you if the trail is rideable based on precipitation. We're all open right now and looking good for the next several days possibly.
    With the addition that Smithville would be good for your beginner rider too.
    JPark - 3.5- don't listen to dremer

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    swope then landahl. easy choice if i had only a day or two.

ride rancho-d-lux.

people from Kansas City are super weird about any part of town without a Starbucks and a dog grooming salon on every corner.

Swope is part of a giant municipal forest park that is bordered by rough areas of the city. you have to drive through what some people might consider a ghetto (albeit, its a pretty non threatening one). having recently moved from the east coast, I've found the hood of KC is kind of overblown. youll be fine.

once you get into the park, its wooded and theres a golf course and the zoo. and some camping spots. Yeah, you probably wouldn't want to go walking around at 3 a.m. looking for trouble, but the trail head is always occupied by mountain bikers. ive never seen anyone but cyclists and the occasional hippie dog walker on the trails. i live 10 minutes away, and ride there a few times a week.
    Stuff sold by the gram is always more exciting than stuff sold by the pound.

Mind you that break ins of cars at swope is not unheard of.
    Last edited by codyh12345; 04-27-2012 at 09:38 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Haha, maybe my car isn't worth breaking into.

It's not the nicest area, but it's not the war zone that my Johnson county yuppie friends make it out to be.

Hey I live in JOCO.... Swope is fine but I wouldn't stick around after nightfall.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I'm just stoking the Kansas vs. Missouri fire

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I hang out in Swope at night playing disc golf. Just put glow sticks on the baskets and blinkers on my disc and its a good time! I've heard quite a bit of shooting in the area but nothing directed at me yet.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I eneded up riding up in Smithville.Thanks to all with your suggestions. My next time down I will check out Swope. Can't be any worse than where I grew up. Any good races to hit up if I venture back down in september or october?

No races in KC Proper in Sept or Oct, but there are some good races in MO and KS in that timeframe.
    United Federation of Dirt

I wasn't afraid to send him to Swope. Simply knowing that he's staying in the Tiffany Springs area, I was trying to send him to trails that were closest and/or easiest to get to for someone from out of town. Swope is great, but we have quite a few good trails around town that all offer their own flavor.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Swope is a great trail. It isn't the closest to where I live but sometimes Swope is the only dry trail in the immediate area - LRT is 85 miles from my house one way so can't afford to make that drive regularly - so I usually ride early morning when i do ride Swope. Never had any issues but I have heard of folks getting their cars broke into.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

lurkkid
    May 2012
    I am in KC, Country Club Plaza, this weekend (5/11-5/14/12). Which of the area trail systems will give me the most technical mileage? Willing to drive up to 2 hours from town. Thanks,

Probably drunk right now
    Quote Originally Posted by kateroo View Post
    I am in KC, Country Club Plaza, this weekend (5/11-5/14/12). Which of the area trail systems will give me the most technical mileage? Willing to drive up to 2 hours from town. Thanks,
    Check out the forums at earthriders.com for a list of trails and perhaps a guide or two.

You have several options for technical trails:

Landhal
    Swope
    Brp
    A little farther out but in your 2 hour drive window:

Clinton
    Perry

Sent from my rotary phone and compiled with a telegraph machine.
    JPark - 3.5- don't listen to dremer

Swope has plenty of great technical, and you could ride there from the plaza if you wanted.

Landahl also has plenty of technical

Highline at BRP is nice and technical.

mtbr member
    Shawnee Mission Park Violet Trail? That trail beats the lving hell out of me!
    www.getbusylivin.org
    http://www.prairiefireapparel.com

Guardian 2.0
    Redline Monocog Flight 29er SS (for now)

Yea I only ride violet (the whole thing) every once in a while.... it tears me up!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    The new red section at SMP is pretty sweet. I'm not excited about falling on that trail though and rolling down the valley. I'm really good at that. There are a lot of fun Strava segments at SMP with some good times on them to try to beat...if you're into that sort of thing.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Anyone know if any of the local KC trails have many speed courses and lots of jumps?

I just started the mountain biking and did Kill Creek park today. It was a decent trail but I would prefer something a little more fast paced. I have read reviews about most of the bike trails around and plan on doing Shawnee Mission next weekend then probably going to try Landhal or Swope in the next few weeks.

mtbr member
    The Lawrence River Trails are probably the fastest "flow" trail around KC. It's not technical, has a few jumps, and is fun to just blast around. Maybe 30min from Kill Creek. You can check the trail conditions on the earthriders forums.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast