mtbr member

Turkey Mtn. Fall - Get it while it's good (Passion x-post)

It's been a wet and dreary late summer and fall in Oklahoma. As a consequence I have not been able to ride the mtn bike often. My lack of endurance and lumpy stomach confirm this. However, Sunday came with a hope of warmer temps and dry weather and wait for it.... SUNSHINE. Here's my little ride report from my house to my backyard trail. It was one of "those" rides for sure....

So the sun came out and I thought I was ready for a ride. However, it wasn't that easy. The pedals were off the bike and some other maintenance had to be performed as I had it packed up recently in a box. I scrambled to find the pedals but couldn't. I grabbed some from my wife's bike only to put them on and then find my original pedals. Back to square one. 30-45 minutes later for the whole process, I was on the bike....

I left the neighborhood and embarked on the 4 mile trip to the trail. You take a bike path the whole way including a jaunt across a converted RR bridge.

The river has been high for this time of year. It is the Arkansas River and it starts all the way in a magical land called Leadville, Colorado.

My entry point to the trail system is through the little known back way. Very solitary and not used by hikers or many riders. Lots of hobos though.

Not long after the trail started I blew my chain up. Thanks to a SRAM quick connect I was off again. Although with a very very short chain. The little ring still worked though. This led to a problem though. I'm used to middle ringing over everything, especially techie/balance issues. I fell down this cliff as I went over a 10" wide piece of rock. Normally I would have pushed through and used the torque to maintain balance. I fell where I am taking the picture on to solid exposed bedrock in a creek bed. Probably 12 feet or so. My camelback saved my spine I think and my helmet cracked a bit. Pfew. Try to be more careful next time. SO no permanent damage - off I ride again.

I ran into these little guys during my stay in the creek bed. Probably a hundred of these little guys. Smaller than a dime. At first I thought they were random water bugs jumping all over.

Finally to some really good color. You can see the general slope of the hillside. Pretty typical.

Tons of ponds around. This was a nice fall view…

Lots of rock gardens to cross.

Aww, first vista on the trail itself. Looking down at the city. The trees are turning on the hill - although it is only 200-400 feet higher than the city.

The golden trees just hit me and even though my ride started with mechanicals and a hard fall, I was at one with everything. Almost in a trance. The granny ring action just forced me to pedal along and take in the sights…

More golden action.

They're not aspen leaves like I fell in love with in Colorado, but on this day they were just as good.

Self portrait. I probably spent too much time setting this one up.

The canopy filtered the sunlight and the leaves carpeted the ground. Normally you hear the rush of traffic from the distant interstate. However, the wind was blowing so hard today that all you heard was leaves, leaves, leaves.

More than just golden hues.

More golden goodness with lots of fun rocks to play on and over.

Gratuitous nature shot.

After a couple of hours of fun, it's time to head back home along the river.

Good ole Tulsa. The world's first oil capital. Those days are gone.

Back across the ped bridge. A fitting portal from solitude in the woods to normal life…

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    great post

Eric the Red
    Great pictures, I also rode today but didn't take any pics of my own.

mtbr member
    Nice writeup. I just got the cast off my wrist that was on there due to a little disagreement between my left arm and an embedded rock up on Turkey a few weeks ago, so I'll be back out there asap.

Tulsa
    great pics and strory

i used to live at 31st and riverside till i moved up by the U

I'll be out there saturday, wish i had a smaller than nikon d200 to tote.
    wherever you go, there you are

mtbr member
    It is a pain. I took those pics with a Nikon d90 with 18-200mm lens. its about 3-4 pounds on the chest. I use a lowepro TLZ 1 with a chest strap you can buy for 9.99.

boomer
    Ooh I love that first rock section pic; it's always game on when encountered!
    Calvin

Professional Nerd
    Thanks for the pictures. I have ridden this trail about a dozen times and I like it.

I have a D60 and would love to get some more trail pictures with it, but I'm paranoid about smashing it. I take it the camera came out of your wreck okay?

Dan

mtbr member
    the lowepro chest pack is pretty padded. I don't worry about it really.